Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arrow Hurricane Isabelle TALK, Landfall within 36hrs, have you been through it b4 & will it

Ok

So let me get this right, we have an F3 hurricane about to hit the eastern seaboard, it could end up being the biggest to hit for at least half a century; now, not only are there 90% more people populated there but this would be only the 10th to make landfall since modern records began.

So what I am wondering is, anybody here from the Carolina or Virginia, are you staying put or leaving, apparently shelters don’t let you take pets, is this true?

Am I correct in assuming that old Isabelle here could make Andrew look like a breeze? I have heard that it will pick up once it gets ashore, unusual for a hurricane.

It could head North so the New Jersey and such states aren't sitting too pretty.

Taking into account the devastation of the Typhoon in S Korea over the past week, how will this compare, I mean, S Korea is no LDC anymore.

And anything anybody has o contribute concerning this F3 storm in a tea cup we have here.

Just to note, being from Europe, we don’t really get hurricanes, so good to get a real time, first hand representation of what has, is and will go on over the next 48hrs or so.

Yeah this one could be a bad one. They're expecting the leftovers of it to hit Ohio by Friday. So, it'll be a rainy weekend for me .... but it's going to be much worse for the shoreline.

Cities such as Norfolk, Virginia [isn't there a large Naval port or base there] and the likes of Pitsburg are in the wrong place at the wrong time. Toronto might get the fringes of it.

If you own a luxury yacht, you can't be in a good mood if it is betthed in its way, boats always take a pasting.

what's going to happen with the pets ?
    If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

i live in Si, NY its gonna be a hell of a storm. when did they say its gonna be? Thursday or Friday?

Here goes

So let me get this right, we have an F3 hurricane about to hit the eastern seaboard, it could end up being the biggest to hit for at least half a century; now, not only are there 90% more people populated there but this would be only the 10th to make landfall since modern records began.
    First, it is only a category 2 at this point and is only the biggest since 1999. So, the windspeed, by comparison, is moderate.
    So what I am wondering is, anybody here from the Carolina or Virginia, are you staying put or leaving, apparently shelters don’t let you take pets, is this true?
    Generally, you need to evacuate if you are in a low, coastal area. Evacuation is not because of the wind, but because of the storm surge. Also, if you are not in an area evacuating, follow instructions carefully. Get in a hallway or closet or even bathtub...get a mattress over your head. It will provide protection. Board your windows. Stay away from them. Do not get in a car and get stranded in the car during the hurricane.
    Am I correct in assuming that old Isabelle here could make Andrew look like a breeze? I have heard that it will pick up once it gets ashore, unusual for a hurricane.
    No, you are incorrect. Andrew was 50% more powerful. As to picking up wind speed, it isn't probable.
    It could head North so the New Jersey and such states aren't sitting too pretty.
    As the path of hurricanes are very unpredictable, coastal areas need to be well prepared all the way up the coast.

Don't panic, just take appropriate precautions. Make sure your pets have tags. Listen to TV or the Radio as it approaches. Good luck. Hope this helps coming from someone who has been through many hurricanes, including Andrew.

I live in Central New Jersey, will we actually get hit with the storm or just a lot of rain?

I still want to know about the pets - do they just get left behind ? in a cellar ? outside ?
    If you must choose between two evils, pick the one you've never tried before.

i live in maryland.. we are expecting some hell.. but im used to it. Living in parts of asia where this is very commonplace. Oh well, lets hope for the best!
    "Let go, Let God"
    "He didn't lose his life on the cross, He gave it"
    "No matter which path you choose, you can only move forward"

what's going to happen with the pets ?
    Hi, I'm Deb, and I'm a pet-a-holic who lives in Florida, the home of the hurricanes

No Matter What, TRIPLE up their ID tags. Head down to some place such as PetsMart where they usually have a machine to auto create tags of your choosing. Put a couple of phone numbers and an email address on a couple of tags. DO NOT use the rings that come with the tags... they're cheesy and easy to remove. Steal some real rings from your keychain or something. Put each tag on a separate ring and attach to collar. This way if one tag is destroyed the other will still be there. Some owners consider the chip as another method (I personally wont do it...but...it is an option). If your pet will accept more than one collar add a smaller one or two for ID. The problem with storms is that many pets "just get lost". So the better tagged your pet is ..well the better off s/he will be.

Now that the pet is well tagged.... see if you can evacuate now rather than later. If you can take your pet with you to a hotel, family member, camp ground, or friend's place that will accept them then go..and get out of harm's way (because you're traveling the tags are again important).

If you must stay...keep the pets in the safest place possible in the home...even if they hate being there.

I have two dogs, a cat, a parrot, a lizard, a hamster, 8 turtles, and 10 fish tanks. Obviously all of this tagging isn't going to work for all of my pets...nor are they able to travel easily. For the ones that just have to stay...I'm not beyond "boarding up" around them and/or relocating them into temp homes in the center of the home (a small bathroom without windows in our case).

For the fish tanks (I have large ones in the 180g to 250g range) I maintain power backups to help keep the pumps running and leave the lights and bubble wands et al off so that they are not wasting away at the backup power...

Key is... just do what you can and hope for the best. Pets are smart...and they have a better chance at being OK if their owners are smart too
    FutureQuest.net
    Quality Services & Professional Support Since 1998
    Click Here To Visit the Community

More

I live in Central New Jersey, will we actually get hit with the storm or just a lot of rain?
    Too early to tell.
    I still want to know about the pets - do they just get left behind ? in a cellar ? outside ?
    I have always been able to stay with mine. However, if you have to go to a shelder where they aren't allowed, you just have to leave food and water and leave them in the most protected room you have....tags are very important.

Well I stand corrected on the current status of the hurricane in terms of categorisation, but…

I didn’t just make all that stuff up, that was combined information taken from statements and projections from a host of different meteorological sources as of very recently. I think I will take what they are saying as fact until it hits [not to say they get it right all the time but I will go with the guy whose job it is to predict such events]. Going back to what I just said, they expect it to pick up in magnitude and do expect it to be an F3.

Current projections have it at an impact time of late Thursday [EST].

Also to say, your advice, though I am sure valid, sounds like one of those 50’s [A Bomb] advice things, get under the table and such, ah

On this pet thing, basically you have to get the cat or dog or whatever it is to have as many tags as possible. i've gotta say Deb, feeding time must be prettty interesting round your place.
    Last edited by Critic; 09-16-2003 at 08:00 PM.

I live in FL also. Andrew was a cat 4 and some insist a cat 5 when it hit land. By comparision this storm is 35-50 mph less in sustained gusts.

Your local emergency services will advise you on evacuation. If you are advised to go make up your mind right away if you are going to or not. The last thing you want is to be in a vehicle when the storm arrives.

Stock up on non perishable food, flashlight, batteries, water, blankets and radio.

Also---- a biggie. Withdraw as much CASH as you can from the bank or ATM. Most likely phone lines and electricy will be down for some time if the storm hits you. You WILL need cash.

Regardless if you stay or go check your yard and porches for items that are moveable and get them secured. In a garage and etc. Remember... a tree branch on the ground now becomes a 100+ mph javlin during a storm. A trash can now becomes a 20 lb rock during a storm.

If you stay. The urge is to go outside and check things out as the eye passes. DON'T. The western inside wall has the most energy. If you think what just happened was something the show hasn't even begun.

After the storm......... look out for down power lines. They kill almost as many as the actual storm.

Be well and safe.
    OMC
    I spent a lot of time climbing the ladder of life.
    Then... I found out it was leaning against the wrong wall.

Also to say, your advice, though I am sure valid, sounds like one of those 50’s [A Bomb] advice things, get under the table and such, ah
    Tell that to the hundreds in Country Walk, south of Miami, whose houses were a pile of boards and scraps the next morning, but they were inside when it hit and remained uninjured.

To add to OMC, make sure you have a manual can opener...

And, yes...cash is a worthwhile commodity.

The last one to hit the Carolna's directly was in 38 i heard on the radio, similar to Isabelle, in todays money, $16 billion worth of damage, there are 90% more people, and homes and offices there now, not to mention everything else.

So this probably ends up as a F3 at initial point of impact, what are the ranges, in terms of magnitude and windspeed for all five categories?

ah, a good reason to be on the other side of the pond.

Also--- storms never gain energy once they hit landfall. They need warm water and flat surface to sustain and/or grow.

Make no mistake about it. This is a serious storm. Yes Incognito, I was in the interior bathroom in the tub and a mattress over it when Andrew hit. The roof lifted and slammed back down. Neighbors house was moved 300 yards.

If you stay.... treat it like a tornado. Most interior room and cover yourself with everything you can find.

Incognito, apologies, if it caused offence, just a bit of light hearted opinion. If you can't see that, i will consider editing it.

Oh heck just for bragging rights.... I was in a train when Andrew hit. It was my first trip to Florida (from Arizona where there is no weather outside of hot & dry). Just a short distance from my final destination when the train comes to a complete halt.... "No one is going anywhere until this little storm passes". A day later we made it. No action from Andrew for me...just bored stiff misery to a mother of three stir crazy kids -- whheeeewww
    FutureQuest.net

Cat 1- 74-95 mph sustained
    Cat 2- 96-110 mph sustained
    Cat 3- 111-130 mph sustained
    Cat 4- 131-155 mph sustained
    Cat 5- 156+ mph sustained
    Last edited by OMC; 09-16-2003 at 09:03 PM.

OMC, tell that to a meteorologist at WGN in Chicago, one from the met office in London and others.

I don't spout lies, i've done the Geography A-Level, i know the theories behind storm growth.

How about we just have em come to SFL and get their lessons from the hurricane gurus of the world? <wink>

Deb

So where was your train when it stopped, you missed it completely?

The lasst major event in my part of the world was in 87, quite appropriately called "the storm of 1987". Can't have been more than an F1 or a low grade 2, biggest thing we'd seen for years, it took till last year to replant all the trees downed in it. British weather, what a mish mash.

How about we wait and see. OMC

Everything is all theory and opinion for about another day. No hurricane is the same and i will side with the weather men/women that i have heard and then conceed if they end up being wrong.

So where was your train when it stopped, you missed it completely?
    We were all of the way up somewhere in the pan handle at the time.... It was stormy wherever we were but nothing like what it had to have been like down south in Homestead...
    FutureQuest.net

Meteorologist- the only job I know of where you can be wrong 70% of the time and people think you are God.

The storm most likely will gain energy while over water, but once it hits landfall it will cease to grow in strength. It may sustain itself for a while, or even many days depending on its strength when it hits landfall. However, it will not grow in any significant proportions.

One thing about living where hurricanes are a real threat 5-6 months out of the year....... you learn the science and you learn how to stay alive.

Be Well

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast