Thread: Cogent

Cogent

I have gone through many threads and always read negative about Cogent.. I have no idea why is having Cogent as backbone considered a bad factor.. ?? Could you please shed some light on why it is not regarded as a good provider.. Why is 100mbps from Foonet or most of the providers better then 100mbps from Cogent .. ??
    Thanks
    ./HaShoo

Not from personal experiences, but from experiences derived by others... Cogent is a good company, however, oversubscribes the amount of bandwidth it has. They have a very large network backbone, but the integrity of the bandwidth is up for question when mission critical applications are used such as VoIP, VPN, grid applications sharing, etc... But for simple applications such as web hosting and collocation for servers doing web hosting, it seems to attract quite a bit because of the error checking at each end of the system (req,ack) by CRC checksum, not the backbone.

My 2 cents... hope that helps.

Cogent is great as long as you don't have information that needs to be on line 24x7 and it doesn't need to be extremely speedy. The problem with them is latency. Most people say it doesn't effect web traffic which I beg to differ. If someone has a bunch of small images on their page loading up it takes 1 connection per image therefore grossly slowing down the speed. I think the only time I will ever use cogent is when I move into a new house. i just will get a 100 mbit pipe for $1000 / mo
    James R. Clark II

actually..

HTTP 1.1 supports the ability to keep the session open to fetch further images with out requiring a reconnection . Thus latency is not sutch a large problem (it still is , but not to sutch a large extent as you make it out to be) .
    :-)

There's really nothing that much wrong with Cogent nowadays from experience. My feel is that it is all the poison is spread by competitors, as well as companies who are paying a lot more than Cogent pricing and is trying to justify it to clients. I have access to a 1gbit Cogent line and the speeds are outstanding, (easily hitting 5MB/s to my 100mbit servers), pings are great from my servers , and hasn't seen it down at all.
    ••• Like us on Facebook to qualify for discounts! •••
    ••• http://www.sprintserve.net •••
    ••• Offering: | Internap FCP Bandwidth! | Rebootless Kernel Updates! | Magento Optimized Hosting | Wordpress Hosting | •••
    ••• Services: | Managed Multiple Cores 64bit Servers | Server Management | •••