Thread: Port 0?

Port 0?

I was wondering if anyone knew of something that exploits port 0 of a machine or firewall.

My server was attacked yesterday and at first it denied the port 0 probes/attacks but after a while it suddenly started allowing them, which I think is just bizzare.

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks!

I don't know of any services that use TCP or UDP port 0, and RFC 943 says that port 0 is reserved (and can't be used for anything). There should be nothing there to exploit.

See also this page.

I was aware that it is suppose to be reserved which confuses me. The source port and destination port is 0. So something strange is going on.

I read something about P2P software using that port. There aren't any of those on this server though. I also want to point out that its a firewall that is being attacked (a fairly expensive one too!).

Now from that link it said that in unix you could specify 0 and it would find the next available port. I'm not sure if this firewall would react the same way, but maybe it started accepted the probes/attacks because it was going up to port 80...

still confusing.

I was aware that it is suppose to be reserved which confuses me. The source port and destination port is 0. So something strange is going on.

I read something about P2P software using that port. There aren't any of those on this server though. I also want to point out that its a firewall that is being attacked (a fairly expensive one too!).

Now from that link it said that in unix you could specify 0 and it would find the next available port. I'm not sure if this firewall would react the same way, but maybe it started accepted the probes/attacks because it was going up to port 80...

still confusing.

No, the procedure that the article mentions is unrelated. It's only used when you're writing a program that needs to bind to an unprivileged port (for an outgoing connection).