smells like spam

Registered another domain this past weekend and low and behold did the spam start coming in.

This time from: www.thehostinghub.com

The email address I gave as a new one from another domain I have so I know they were registration harvesting

A lot of company's take your information from the WHOIS database. These company's I've spotted doing this (and were actually too lazy to remove the NIC handle so it's a dead giveaway they're scanning WHOIS)

-Interland (big on this)
    -ValueWeb (newbies...but they're getting more active)
    -***** (they're getting more active too)

I know there've been more...these are the high profile ones though.

Thumbs down

The biggest spammer of all the hosting companies is VERIO. I get snail mail and CALLS from them! It's really annoying.

Originally posted by MasterMindz
    The biggest spammer of all the hosting companies is VERIO. I get snail mail and CALLS from them! It's really annoying.

Almost forgot them

They've called me once before -- no snail mail (yet)

I get spam from OEMMAIL.com every time I register a domain with dotster.
    I am now Tobarja.

What registrars are you using that you are getting SPAM mail?
    PalmVersa Communications
    PalmVersa.com
    ICQ# 120775841

I used registerfly.com

Looks like all registrars that offer registration for less then $10 spam you.I use jumpdomain.com they offer $14.95 but they are good quality.
    PalmVersa Communications
    PalmVersa.com
    ICQ# 120775841

Originally posted by Palm
    Looks like all registrars that offer registration for less then $10 spam you.
    I don't think that's the case, I use Network Solutions ($35) and I get spam from verio/interland/***** all the time.

I forgot to say "or netsol"
    PalmVersa Communications
    PalmVersa.com
    ICQ# 120775841

In the past I have primarily used Dotster, and not only have I gotten spam after registering domain names but junk faxes too (I no longer list the fax number on domain registrations because of this). I don't think it has anything to do with Dotster though, I think the spam is coming from third parties who are going through the domain registry harvesting e-mail address, postal addresses, and everything else.

I never wanted to use GoDaddy for domain registrations because they say flat out in their registration agreement that they may sell your information in bulk. But the more I think about it, the more I realize that if you get a domain name you're going to get spammed no matter what you do.

MasterMindz: You use Network Solutions? Seriously?

i think interland is worse then any other company. I use totalnic.net and i even tested out a new e-mail with them. no spam..
    Multiple Image Corporation - http://www.multipleimage.com
    Diverse Solutions for Diverse Companies.
    Virtual, Dedicated & Colocated Hosting.

Originally posted by IntelligentHosting.com

MasterMindz: You use Network Solutions? Seriously?
    I know, it's horrible. It was a long time ago so I know not to use them anymore.

Originally posted by MasterMindz

I know, it's horrible. It was a long time ago so I know not to use them anymore.
    Ah well you're off the hook then. I used Network Solutions once upon a time too (although at the time I didn't have any choice).

I used to register domain names with Joker.com and never received one spam message. Now I use Enom or OpenSRS and have yet to receive any spam. I must be lucky.