hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Design and Content : Help with PHP and JavaScript

Forum Jump

Help with PHP and JavaScript

Reply Post New Thread In Web Design and Content Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2003, 04:58 AM

Help with PHP and JavaScript

I'm not sure if this has been asked before, but i didn't find anything with search so here goes:

I have finished the design part of a website, cut it into slices and give the menu rollover effects. The main body of text will be contained within a javascript layer.

How do I edit the code so that when i click on an image in the menu the javascript layer will reload with the appropriate text.

I think i'm supposed to be using a mySQL database and php but i'm not really sure how.

All hints and suggestions welcome

Oh.. i'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to web design.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-06-2003, 06:00 PM
Web Hosting Guru

are you trying to create a roll over effect like when u go over a menu link, somewhere on the page a description or text appears? If so, u can do that with CSS.

By the way, I think "Programming Discussions" is the appropriate forum for this topic.

Old 09-07-2003, 04:49 AM
Web Hosting Master

Just a note: what you are asking is all client side code. PHP and MySQL have nothing to do with it.

It's all HTML and JavaScript related

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2003, 11:40 AM

Thanks I'll look into it, does this mean that i should preload all of the text i need, and then when the relevent link is clicked it just shows the text i want in the main window?

Old 09-07-2003, 12:46 PM
Web Hosting Guru

yes, you will have to preload everything

Old 09-12-2003, 08:55 AM
Web Hosting Master

Tom... you seem to be doing more than you need. What are you using for designing the website? Why do you have a javascript layer? Many people disable javascript or can't run javascript, and they won't be able to use your website.

Old 09-12-2003, 10:25 AM

Thanks, I hadn't taken that into consideration, the website is in my signature, i was wanting the text in the box on the right to desplay accoriding to which link has been depressed.

tom@kill.it

Old 09-12-2003, 10:38 AM
Web Hosting Master

I see. I went to your site. I know many people dislikes frames, but what you want is easier designed using frames, and if you have PHP I have a script that makes the framed site get framed even if it's individual pages are accessed directly.

If you need help I can help you, but it's friday afternoon, so I can't do anything until monday. If you like you can go here: tutorials.reptilian-feline.net/frames1.php and read my tutorial on frames. I hope it gives you some ideas. It uses the script I was talking about, and the only thing that uses javascript on that site, is the menu rollover effect because it's an image-map, or I would have used CSS instead.

Now... there are other sollutions, like iFrames, but iFrames are less suported than frames, and if you don't use that and still want it client side, you can use javascript and hidden layers for the text. I have a link somewhere. But that needs javascript too.

Old 09-12-2003, 10:41 AM

thanks for your help, I'll keep you posted

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Swarmify's New Approach to Content Delivery Uses Site Visitors to Accelerate Content Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:34:03
Web Hosting Sales and Promos Roundup - December 6, 2013 Web Hosting News 2014-05-23 15:42:37
Nasuni Launches Cloud Mirroring Feature to Storage Solution Web Hosting News 2013-08-08 14:15:27
OpenStack and the AWS API Debate Web Hosting News 2014-05-09 12:40:29
Facebook's Recently Acquired Mobile App Platform Parse Launches Web Hosting for Developers Web Hosting News 2013-05-08 10:49:17