Please help test web server

Hi, I and my friends run a music website. Recently, the traffic is hitting high. Too high that our server/connection can't handle anymore. Now, we don't know exactly which is more critical (to upgrade), server speed or connection speed.

In order to find out if the connection is slowing down the traffic, upload speed must be tested. The site is on a capped cable connection. The site serves mainly text pages and small files, so we figure the connection was okay. But now, it could take as much as 30 seconds to load one single page. If you could, please test the server speed for us and tell us your average download speed and your location:
    http://www.hamienet.com/steaminstall.zip

I ran several page loading tests. The average time to load/run a php page is 2 seconds. While at pages where relatively large amount of data from MySQL is loaded, it could take 10 seconds to run/load a php page. And at some pages where MySQL is used less, it takes as little as 0.2 second. I am not exactly sure if traffic is being slowed down by overloading the CPU. The server's CPU is a P4 2.0 w/ 1GB RAM running Apache, MySQL, PHP. If you would like to see how "slow" it is to load a page, you can go here http://www.hamienet.com and browse around.

Another suspected "cause" to the long loading time problem could be a HTML design problem. The page is consisted of table, table, and table. I don't know if this is a problem.

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated!

Just the main page itself took several seconds to load for me. I'm located in NY so I don't know how far away I am in relation to where you're hosting the website.

Maybe it has to do with the hideously large amount of A) Ads, B) Javascript Menu's and buttons. Why so many ads??? And why so much Javascript?
    Ask about custom logo design! :: TalkSka.com - Your source for Ska News and Forums. Join today!
    AIM=IQPhat
    MSN=xshare101@hotmail.com
    EMAIL=Use the board's email system, please.

I test downloaded your testfile. It was downloading at 25K a sec.
    Which I think is to slow and your homepage took 39sec to load. I remember when I had a server at my house on a cable modem. It did the samething loaded fast for me but didnt for no one esle. So I think it is a connection problem by what I can see.

Location Orlando, Florida
    Last edited by marcustr; 08-31-2003 at 12:13 PM.

My virus proggie went crazy, since it didn't recognize the file...
    73's, Kim
    Everything happens for a reason I make up.

steam DLd at 22.7k and useing my friends AOL DSL, and the main oage took a few to long seconds..

o and my location is Cali, LA
    Remote Hands and Your Local Tech for the Los Angeles area.

(310) 573-8050 - LinkedIn

33.1K on ADSL - Miami, FL

30.2/kb per sec using comcast broadband

40 k on t1, a little bit slow when loading pages

I got 25 kb/sec on cable. Site seems to load ok here.

Speed - 28.6kb/s
    Connection - Cable
    Provider - Adelphia
    Location - Wellington, FL - (near West Palm Beach)

I usually get like 200kb/s to 270kb/s max .