Anyone have these?

Hosting Discussion - web hosting community.

Is your company represented?

No, but if I did; I'd nuke it with RAID.

And then I'd venture outdoors [for the first time ever] and find/nuke the rest of its siblings with various M80's and firearms.
    Become an ISP; a great value-added service for any web host.
    http://www.vispprovider.com

J, you have to catch it first. It is incredibly fast and scary. Plus, don't really want to spend all my money on Raid, cause the house is, well, not small...

Spiders ate them all during a hot summer season, but now I guess they are dying, so I started noticing them again. And they always do that in the moment you least expect them. I hate that.

Those are common where I live in California. One time I even cooked one and ate it!

From the article:

"Centipedes are long-lived, sometimes up to 6 years."

WTF?!

"They are sometimes seen running rapidly across the floor with great speed, stopping suddenly to remain motionless and then resuming fast movements, occasionally directly toward the homeowner in an attempt to conceal themselves in their clothing. "

Again, WTF?!?! Kamikaze centipedes?

Seriously; move out of your house, immediately.

Hahah.. Moving out is not an option, so I'll have to live with them. Its not like they are just everywhere - they just get on your nervous sometimes, annoy you, scare you and all that.

And that's true. A couple I've killed on out kitchen were kamikaze-type. Ran right on me until they felt something, then made a 90-degree turn and continued their last journey...

I don't have them in my house, but you don't want to go into the backyard or into any grass areas without shoes.

Since you can't move out; I will indulge you in the ways of insect/mammal battle. Being from northwest New Jersey [Kittatinny/Appalachian mountains], I have much experience in fighting nature ... to the death. I've had confrontations with bears, dogs, raccoons, and even the lowly squirrel. I may be able to assist you ....

-----

Okay, now I feel your pain. Someone left one of the loading doors open and I have killed 8 mosquitos in the past 15 minutes. My office is on a deck [in our data center, wicked, eh?] above one of our server rooms, so I am open to attack from various mammals/insects. Although I have engaged in very few battles with these formidable foes; there is none more hard-fought than the battle against the mosquitos. Their stealth is amazing.

----

... Anyway ...

Here are my offerings:

1. Buy/catch a large amount of spiders and dump them in various spots in your house. Spiders are a natural enemy of these "100 legged worms" which have attempted to force you out of your own dwelling. The spiders will hit them hard, from all angles, and will ultimately defeat them in glorious 1-on-1 battle.

2. Invest in several kittens/cats. Out of the 9-10 cockroaches to successfully infiltrate my apartment in the past year; my 6 cats [Yes, I said 6 (six) cats. Go ahead and mock me, I hate you anyway.] have managed to eliminate all but one. This particular cockroach was smart enough to crawl through a crack in the window lining and escape to safety. I still await his return, of which I will engage him with a can of RAID and a spatula.

Now, these kittens will naturally be quite a nuisence to you and your family [climbing your clothes, attacking you in your sleep, pee'ing on the floor if you forget to scoop the litterbox in the morning, etc], but this is a worthwhile investment. Two cats should be sufficient. You don't want just one; they will howl when they are lonely and rub their butt on your face while you are sleeping [only happened to me once when one of my females was in heat ... shut-up; I already told you I hate you.].

3. Don a uniform not unlike the ones seen in Ghostbusters, the movie. You will be able to spray these centipedes into oblivion with nothing more than the squeeze of your pointer finger. Take a can of RAID, or "cheaper alternative" since you seem unwilling to pay the price for the ultimate-insect-killer known as RAID, and rig up an automated firing mechanism that will allow you to clear the entire perimeter of your house with nothing more than yelling "DIE KAMIKAZE CENTIPEDES! BURN IN HELL!" and, of course, that winded walk up those flight of steps [doesn't getting old suck?]

These are the best suggestions I can provide. Having lived out in the "boondocks" most of my life; I know the pain animals can afflict, and I recommend taking serious measures against these vile creatures.

PS: If you didn't find this post funny/comedic, I hate you even more.

And before someone asks; yes, I have indeed been chased by bears before. Twice on their doing, and once on my doing [shot a bottle rocket at the bear and it ran at me, instead of away from me]. All black bears, about 300lbs a piece, from my vantage point at lease. Back me up here you mountainous WHT'ers ... you've had the shiite hit the fan with large mammals before.

My recommendation is for anyone who has engaged in mortal combat with an animal to post their story and make Artashes feel a little more at ease.

In fact, I think "Animal Combat" deserves it's own thread. Once I get done updating my shell scripts, I will make one.
    Last edited by webworkz; 08-30-2003 at 11:44 PM.

I run across the occasional centipede, but I don't think they're really that bad. The bugs that are truely bad are the unidentifable ones. I like to know what I'm killing.
    Last edited by FiftySixK; 08-30-2003 at 11:53 PM.
    String msn = "msn@babich.us";
    Sleep, those little slices of death, how I loathe them. - Edgar Allen Poe

CRAP I HAVE THEM, the things are f-ing creapy man... I went to walk downstairs last week and saw a huge one must have been 4 or 5 inches long, now readying this I have to show my mom she must call an exterminator.

Justin, good read, thank you. I'll take some action as you suggested (Raid seems to be the best one for me to start with). In the meantime, it will be a long and bloody battle for freedom grounds of my home sweet home because these bastards are not like cockroaches - centipedes are invisible. At least the ones I have.

If nothing else, I figured my post would entertain you. Actually; that sentence was a lie; you would be foolish to listen to anything I have to say.

No, for more humor [less] posting:

Invisible centipedes will require infrared goggles. I suggest a http://www.google.com search for the above mechanism. If they are indeed invisible, you are in for quite an uphill battle. If by invisible, you simply mean "faster than the average insect", you may need to acquire some Ninja training so as to allow yourself maximum stealthiness. Once you are able to negotiate your house without alerting the centipede scouts, you will be able to infiltrate their territory and send them directly to hell, where they belong.

If this does not work for you, I suggest you dress up as a large centipede, convince the offending party that you are indeed "The King Centipede", and then lure them into a spiteful trap complete with trip wires, and land mines. I suggest setting the trip wire at 1mm off of the ground, and setting the burst height at about the same [you're going to need very-well calibrated land mines for this]. Make sure you buy/build enough landmines that you are targetting a good 15-20 ft. radius, so as to inflict maximum casualties/damage.

As for the contents of the land mine itself; I would suggest something similar to, or possibly, uranium ... but, alas; I will leave the rest up-to you.

If all else fails, we have several tear gas grenades laying around that we would be happy to [discretely] ship you.

I've seen a couple around here, they really are scary...and it takes alot to freak me out.

Originally posted by NickRac
    I've seen a couple around here, they really are scary...and it takes alot to freak me out.

Same thing here, I seen a boa in california stray not in a museum and all I could say is Kick Ass... I saw this thing I was like pined to the wall and couldn't move.... I just hate the fact of knowing it could be crawling on me at anytime you know?

Here in Arizona I get quite a few Black Widow Spiders, and usualy 3 or 4 scorpions a year in the house.

Originally posted by kingpcgeek
    Here in Arizona I get quite a few Black Widow Spiders, and usualy 3 or 4 scorpions a year in the house.

Out of all of the animals I've seen; the ONLY one that scares the ever-living-crap out of me is the "Black Widow".

I don't know why ... but every time I see a picture of a Black Widow, all I want to do is cry like a schoolgirl who just got yelled at by the principal for dressing too slutty.

... Wait a minute. Nevermind.

But seriously; Black Widow = Hellspawn.

Webworkz you are a riot!

I think the creepiness of insects is related to their leg count - more legs, creepier bug.

I'd never seen that house centipede before (nature shows seem to focus on the skinny outdoors ones). Having said that I'm glad we don't have them here - and that's coming from someone who lives in a country with the highest percentage of deadly animals/insects/sealife in the world.
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.