hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Design and Content : How To's needed

Forum Jump

How To's needed

Reply Post New Thread In Web Design and Content Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Lightbulb

How To's needed

How to's needed. Later I am going to be asking for offers to make me a template, but not now please.

Would really appreciate some help on making sure I have a quick loading site made. Would want the site to look something like TM's number 2850, with the same basic features. Could everyone answer, or at least give me their opinion on, the following questions please?

1. Would the template referenced above be a slow, normal, or fast loader?

2. Since the actual change from page to page is the content on the sheet of paper shown, and the photo above it, would it be faster loading with frames?

3. Realizing the design itself would need realiging, would it make sense (or even be possible) to have the photo in a frame, the pencil in a frame, and the sheet of paper in another frame? Would make a total of four frames with two actually changing content each time.

4. Does using an iframe on some pages effect loading speed?

5. Leaving "tm" itself out of the discussion, how about everyone's opinion on the pros and cons of that template (2850) as it relates to loading speed, possible changes that would increase the speed of loading, and, enhance viewer useability?

Thanks for reading this post.
Handy

Sponsored Links
Old
Aspiring Evangelist

Firstly, for those who want a url for the template, go here:

http://www.***************.com/show....g2=&order=date

1. It would probably be somewhat slow, as it does use a lot of images, but it won't be too slow. I'd personally use the non-flash version, which would decrease the loading time, and increase the user base that can view your website at the same time - remember, not all people have the flash plugin enabled, e.g. offices.

2. With or without frames, it shouldn't really make a difference as the images would be cached by the browser.

3. There is no need to switch to frames.

4. It would add more code which would mean more to load and positioning may be inconsistant when it is viewed in different browsers.

5. The template could be lighter, and use of images could be decreased. Don't use the flash version, which would increase the levels of usability. Personally, it seems somewhat cluttered imo, I would go for something a little less cramped, but without knowing the nature of the website you want to make, I wouldn't be really able to say much.

<URL is censored for a reason>

Last edited by not-even-a-mouse; 08-30-2003 at 08:06 AM.
Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Ionsurge,

Thanks for posting the link to the template. I will definitely not use flash. When you say "the template could be lighter", are you referring to color?

Handy

I didn't realize the link didn't go to the template, but thanks for trying anyhow.

Last edited by Handy; 08-30-2003 at 08:10 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old
Aspiring Evangelist

I mean in terms of the amount of things going on in it, in terms of colour, I think it is fine.

Old

#1: a similar (in "spirit" so to speak, not in any other meaningful way) site:

http://www.ebazaar.ru/

loads relatively fast. i see no reason why 2850 would load any slower.

#2: yes, it would load noticably faster with well laid out frames. however, frames usually present additional challenges which you may not want to have to deal with. 2850 should load fast enough.

#3: without a good reason i'd not recommend frames.

#4: IFRAMEs aside from their inline nature act and behave much same as standard frames. older versions of netscape-descendant browsers will not support iframes. there arent that many of those left out there, though. According to

http://leanwebdesign.com/index/webstats

there were about .4% of netscape 4.8 and earlier.

#5: template seems to be well laid out for whatever purpose it was designed. it does have some "cluttered" feel to it, which, i think, is part of the idea, as it represents "busy desktop" type of setting. it might work for you or not, its your call, but i certainly wouldnt change anything in that template.

good luck!
leanweb

ps. great template, btw.

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

This thread is missing some posts. Someone was coming back to give me some information on frames, but now two or three of the lasts posts are missing. Does that happen very often?

handy

Old

i recon that was me, in a different thread. i dont remember which one by now, but the write up is here:

http://leanwebdesign.com/index/frames

hope it helps.

enjoy!
leanweb

Old
Junior Guru Wannabe

Thanks, leanweb

Useful information

handy

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Stanford Researchers Increase Cost Effectiveness of Cloud and Contribute to Cleantech Web Hosting News 2014-05-01 08:31:18
Labour Calls for Greater Accountability by British Intelligence Agencies in Speech Addressing Cybercrime Web Hosting News 2014-03-03 11:20:48
GoDaddy Acquires Invoicing Tool Ronin Web Hosting News 2013-10-02 12:22:52
InfoRelay Online System Launches Cloud Hosting Platform SnapScale v2.1 Web Hosting News 2013-05-06 11:51:16
Software AG Acquires Cloud PaaS Vendor LongJump Web Hosting News 2013-04-26 12:05:25