Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Very Bad FDC Colo Return Experience

Ok. I'm not even going to bother dropping a line to FDC Servers about this. I think it's just downright wrong, and should be mentioned directly to others. I cancelled my colo with them, and they took their time in sending my server back, but I eventually got it.

We had a colo box with them. It started being unstable, so we moved and I requested it be sent back. When I received it today, it was in a Non-Padded, Non-Protected Case box. It wasn't a normal server box, but a case box. Now, this case box was just barely big enough for the server. So there was no Protection at ALL!

Second problem. I turn on the machine (barely expecting it to work) but to my astonishment it did turn on. It went thru the boot process, and boom no boot. So I thought, Bad disk? I ran thru the diagnostics, and from what I can find, they formatted/fdisked my raid (0+1) array. No data was available.

Ok, so I go to try to install an OS. CD Rom tray is stuck. So I use a plastic push to push thru the hole to open the tray. It won't open at all. There is something physically blocking it. Strange right? So I took it out of the server, opened it up. I couldn't believe it. A PaperClip and a Plastic Washer were stuck inside. I removed them and it began working normally again.

Another notice, this server has 12 fans in it, 4 hard drives, 2 cpus. 4 of the 12 fans had their screws removed, and were disconnected inside the case? What for? I obviously bought/installed 12 fans because I needed them to move air for a reason. The box itself luckily sustained minimal damage, but I didn't get it returned in a server box as requested and as shipped.

So, for those of you whom are going to colo with FDC, think twice before sending your hardware to them. I'm done and good rithens.

Thumbs down

FDCservers is the worst company I have ever delt with... not only is their hardware/network unstable, they bill for services cancelled and/or not received. There support got better recently but they still have very shady business practices. I used to have many servers with them but constantly had porblems...fortunately, I now have my own suite in San Diego and its smooth sailing. I cancelled all my servers with them.. they still billed me for some I cancelled -- am doing several chargebacks with my CC company since they dont want to respond anymore.

For the past year, every single server that I had at FDC was unstable -- I think they use cheap hardware and they cram their network.. to a point where its so congested that its not worth the UNMETERED they advertise. I had much better experiences with rackshack ... and that says a lot because rackshack really tells you the meaning of Unmanaged.

I can honostly tell you that going with FDC was the WORST business decision I have ever made -- i lost so many customer because of their problems with Cogent, their bad hardware, bad support, disorganized billing records, etc. Simply rediculous.
    Saifullah Nasir (AIM: saifullah77)

Had an interesting experience the other day, decided to go into their IRC channel to enquire about COLO, and guess what one of the team's reply was, I believe it was Kevin or something similar.

**** off I'm having a **** and I guess you can imagine what those words were, but obviously he said them without putting those lovely censors across. If this is the sort of professionalism I can expect from that company, I will ensure that my US customers aren't placed anywhere near them.

Right now their network has gone to **** and its *SO* horrible that i literally cant break 200k/s internally.
    Now thats overselling the bandwidth.
    [AIM]: BhAaD99 :: [ICQ]: 79048062 :: [MSN/eMail]: lad_b@hotmail.com

internally its most likely a config issue as you arnt using the outside bandwidth providers internally as they are most likely on a LAN

Everytime I see a post saying how horrible fdc service is, makes me glad I no longer use FDC.
    Ever since I moved away from that company, I have not had problems of mysterious server crashes, crawling speeds, ddos, etc. I remember I had to have boxes rebooted everyday, speeds were sometimes 40kbps when they were on only Cogent...that is serious overselling. They just dont have ethical business practice and some people will never change their tactics!
    My advice: find a reputable host that doesn't oversell their bandwidth

your paying $100 a month thats not something that even gives you a right to complain about the service of a company

Originally posted by Mrdredd
    your paying $100 a month thats not something that even gives you a right to complain about the service of a company
    You can pick up a server for $89 from Rackshack.
    Do you get that kind of customer service? god no.

Regards,
    Thomas Currie
    Europhase UK Limited - XEN/OpenVZ UK/US Virtual Private Servers | R1Soft Backups for Web Hosts
    Custom R1Soft Backups | UK/US Web Hosting | UK/US Virtual Private Servers
    99.9% Uptime SLA | Non Overloaded Service | Guaranteed Ram / Resources
    Company: SC345142 VAT: GB-947754180 Tel: 0870 4710 895

do they give you an unmetered connection on yipes though?

exactly

actually prices have nothing to do with customer support (for the most part), i was really referring to the performance of the network.

Customers have every right to complain. Whether its $1, $100, or $1000. I am sure you would complain if you were in fathosting or BhAaD's shoes.

No, i would realize my mistake that I thought I would get an awesome network with 100% uptimes and good customer service and only pay $100.
    Or i would know this before I bought, and would just resign to dealing with it if i was to cheap to move

theres also the "Search" feature on the forums for a reason, it can help you make a informed decision on whether or not to go with a host; if you arnt going to utilize the features that are available to you to help you choose, whos fault is that

do they give you an unmetered connection on yipes though?

exactly

actually prices have nothing to do with customer support (for the most part), i was really referring to the performance of the network.

1. The unmetered 4mbps is not unmetered 4mbps... its so congested that if had to chose, I would buy a rackshack server over fdc in a heartbeat.

2. Prices often have much to do with customer support as well as network peformance.

Originally posted by hostblock
    2. Prices often have much to do with customer support as well as network peformance.
    that just further reinforces my point on the prices

Agreed.

I cancelled my servers with FDC a few months ago. Up until that point I was happy with their service. After I cancelled they continued to bill me, they even billed me for things I didn't order. It took threatening with a chargeback to get them to refund. The whole experience was unpleasant to say the least. At least its over and I've moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrdredd
    No, i would realize my mistake that I thought I would get an awesome network with 100% uptimes and good customer service and only pay $100.
    Imagine what you can expect for say $60.00?

Wow. I thought FDC was good. I was about too do allot of colo cating with them but i should think twice before making a stupid mistake. Lol. I actually thought these guys were good

I am amazed that for a place that has hundreds of colocation servers in it I have only read 1 thread regarding a server that was not properly packaged.

Originally posted by Joseph_M
    Had an interesting experience the other day, decided to go into their IRC channel to enquire about COLO, and guess what one of the team's reply was, I believe it was Kevin or something similar.

**** off I'm having a **** and I guess you can imagine what those words were, but obviously he said them without putting those lovely censors across. If this is the sort of professionalism I can expect from that company, I will ensure that my US customers aren't placed anywhere near them.
    K, maybe they did mis package the server, but Kevin from FDC would never talk like that.

If you want you can talk to him right now on ICQ, maybe you got the wrong person on IRC with a nickname Kevin

I'm talking to him right now, and he's never said such thing to anyone before in FDC's IRC Channle
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Mrdredd, so you're saying S4Y shouldn't even have a support system for their $49 servers? Just because you get 700 Gb transfer for $50? You don't make sense. No one forces FDC to have low prices, let them raise the prices so they can get some actual support and good hardware. The low price shouldn't be an excuse.

Host block, I'm glad you got rid of FDC, my friend went with one of your servers once and you were just horrible. There was a problem with the HD's and you wouldn't even help him. You should have at least tried to help him.

Originally posted by Dedicatedone
    Host block, I'm glad you got rid of FDC, my friend went with one of your servers once and you were just horrible. There was a problem with the HD's and you wouldn't even help him. You should have at least tried to help him.
    Are you talking about hostblock/rapidgrid? or FDC
    █• Taskade - To-Do List & Tasks All-in-One To-Do List & Mind Map App for Remote Teams
    █• Simple and shareable to-do lists for web, mobile, and desktop
    █• To-Do List Templates 300+ shareable templates and productivity workflows
    █• Get things done, faster and smarter! I eat penguins for breakfast ...

Originally posted by Hoobastank68
    Are you talking about hostblock/rapidgrid? or FDC
    I too was trying to figure that one out.
    Jesse Lanning- Secure Technology Networks
    support: support@sthost.com
    web: http://www.sthost.com

Originally posted by Dedicatedone
    Mrdredd, so you're saying S4Y shouldn't even have a support system for their $49 servers? Just because you get 700 Gb transfer for $50? You don't make sense. No one forces FDC to have low prices, let them raise the prices so they can get some actual support and good hardware. The low price shouldn't be an excuse.
    We'll see what they have to offer.

I want to see you reach 700gb transfer and do it every month, see how long they keep you as a customer smartman.

$50 for 700gb bandwidth, if you actually knew anything about the providers, you cant get that much bandwidth ANYWHERE for that price realistically.
    Its based on overselling and the premise that you wont even use near that much.
    Plus if theyre happy with **** profits, (if any at all!) go ahead, let them charge $50 for 700gb of transfer PLUS the cost of hardware, electricity, support, rackspace, equipment, replacement parts; why not just up it to 1000gb while theyre at it, hell.. just give everyone a heart attack and tell people 5000TB of bandwidth for $50... theyll still be playing the same game, basing everything on the fact that no one will use anywhere near that amount and theyll be safe from overloading their pipe out to the net.

Im pretty sure server4you is a fairly new business, so they dont have many machines setup to have any cause and affect consequences yet, but just you wait.... it seems like another Hostany to me.

but we shall see wont we.

They've been around for quite awhile actually, they are only new to theWHT scene.
    Jesse Lanning- Secure Technology Networks
    support: support@sthost.com
    web: http://www.sthost.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast