* Which hosting to go with?

Hey,

I have recently joined an organization who are running a news publishing website. They have a monthly unique visitors of 607K and requests of 124M.
    The website is based on Drupal and is currently hosted on Acquia. But they want to move it another affordable host.
    Which one is a good host and hosting solution to handle such amount of traffic and to be able to handle spikes as well? VPS, Dedicated or Cloud like AWS...?

Ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

Quote Originally Posted by johnkn View Post
    Hey,

I have recently joined an organization who are running a news publishing website. They have a monthly unique visitors of 607K and requests of 124M.
    The website is based on Drupal and is currently hosted on Acquia. But they want to move it another affordable host.
    Which one is a good host and hosting solution to handle such amount of traffic and to be able to handle spikes as well? VPS, Dedicated or Cloud like AWS...?

Ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,

What hosting solution are they currently hosted on? VPS or Dedicated?

With that number of requests and unique visitors, a VPS wont work as it will be to much usage. A dedicated server may be enough, however, if the site is making income for the business then you are better off using at least a hot failover dedicated server solution and a load balanced solution would be better. You can do either in a AWS cloud type setup and use auto scaling where it provisions more instances and the load balancer sends those requests there . Using a CDN would help also for at least the resource objects like images, css, and javascript files. With that said, unless you use a provider that can set that all up, you still need to setup the different parts to be able to scale properly.
    -Steven | Cooini, LLC
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by johnkn View Post
    Hey,

Ideas are appreciated.

Thanks,
    Beyond unique visitors and requests, Acquia offers a unique digital experience over a Cloud infrastructure. Would you mind sharing with us the features you have access to now that you'd like to retain when migrating elsewhere?
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers

Quote Originally Posted by WireNine View Post
    What hosting solution are they currently hosted on? VPS or Dedicated?
    Acquia is providing cloud infrastrucutre but I see on their configuration there are 8 dedicated web servers plus separate two dedicated database and two load balanacers servers.

Quote Originally Posted by SenseiSteve View Post
    Beyond unique visitors and requests, Acquia offers a unique digital experience over a Cloud infrastructure. Would you mind sharing with us the features you have access to now that you'd like to retain when migrating elsewhere?
    They are currently on an Enterprise package that comes with Remote Administration, different development environment it is fully managed scalable and with almost no downtime. They currently have 8 web servers with two sperate load balancer and two database servers and also connected to CloudFlare CDN. Although we need a fully managed solution it should also be scalable since there might be spikes on some occasions, we don't need those different development environments.

Do you think they need such high resources? 8 dedicated servers?
    Last edited by johnkn; 07-24-2019 at 08:05 AM.

I am having an amazing experience with Siteground

There should be a reason to use 8 Virtual Machines (or physical servers) for this website. I would suggest you to send service requests to few Cloud service providers. Send them the current resource usage and they should be able to give you an estimate on the average monthly cost. I would also suggest you to avoid using any of the major clouds as they will charge you for "Data Transfer Out" and for storage IOPS, which means you'll end up paying thousands per month.
    HostColor.com Edge Infrastructure - US Dedicated Servers & Europe Dedicated Hostingsince 2000
    In 50 U.S. Edge Data Centers & 80 POPs worldwide
    24/7 Support ★★ Support Tickets - LiveChat - Phone

I'm not sure which hosting company would be able to handle that much traffic, but I'll suggest you something that might seem radical and maybe even impossible.

Move to WordPress and then use a solution like WP Engine or some other high-end managed WordPress hosting. These are catered for WordPress and you won't have to do anything technical, since they take care of that.

I'm assuming that price isn't an issue here, since it has 600k monthly visitors.

Other than that, Google Cloud, Amazon AWS and similar would also be good to use, but would require more technical knowledge.
    VisitingHost - Try for 30 Days. No Credit Card Required.

If you are looking for better price - you can start from this end and having that budget start research by checking the offers on this forum as in shared hosting section as in VPS offers section.
    Then you have an opportunity to communicate with the providers. Just show what you have and I think you will have a few recommendations of proper hosed plan and the price.

Amazon AWS is just what you need to handle all your traffic. Had a few projects here and there with AWS. Professional.

ask your current provider to give you the network diagram and system design so that you can figure out how the system is setup.

I suggest going with private cloud, it meets your redundancy requirements and gives you option to scale up.

CloudFlare will improve the performance and adds another layer of security / business continuity but you should go with their enterprise solution which will cost you a few thousand dollars
    Cirrus Hosting - super fast Windows VPS and reliable Dedicated web hosting

John, how much are you currently paying there?