Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Check https://www.grepular.com/Automatical...Incoming_Email which describes how to do it with exim it self and a global key to encrypt incoming via pgp that isn't already encrypted Could take that concept and use a script to use the proper public key for the recipient instead of a global key. This method provides in place encryption when the sender didn't use any.

If using cpanel, check the Email Encryption options that use pgp, however, I am not sure if that does in place encryption for non-encrypted emails. (don't use cpanel, so can't test)

What is running on the VPS right now for the MTA? Also does it have a control panel installed?
    -Steven | Cooini, LLC
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by steven99 View Post
    Check https://www.grepular.com/Automatical...Incoming_Email which describes how to do it with exim it self and a global key to encrypt incoming via pgp that isn't already encrypted Could take that concept and use a script to use the proper public key for the recipient instead of a global key. This method provides in place encryption when the sender didn't use any.
    I skimmed this - it seems rather dated being 7 yrs old.

Quote Originally Posted by steven99 View Post
    What is running on the VPS right now for the MTA? Also does it have a control panel installed?
    Not sure. I think EXIM?

My VPS has WHM/cPanel.

It might be dated but still applies as that configuration would still work and even if not it leads down the correct direction .
    -Steven | Cooini, LLC
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

Something to remember when your email is critical to your business: If your email gets broken on your VPS your webhost will remind you that they are not really email administrators and offer to restore your VPS to the last state that the email worked, which may then negate other changes you made on your websites.

So take backups yourself (of course, always) and do not rely on your webhost and your VPS to handle critical emails. Get a third party to do this.

I know a lot of people are going to try to tell me that their webhosts support email services and yes, it is true they will support basic things, but when things go bad they will also remind you they are not email administrators and since Cpanel provides the ability to create email addresses and use webmail they will only support that feature as far as cpanel will support what you want to do. I have seen established businesses go dark for a long time (EIG migrations) simply because they relied only on their vps for email and nothing else.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenFourSix View Post
    Something to remember when your email is critical to your business: If your email gets broken on your VPS your webhost will remind you that they are not really email administrators and offer to restore your VPS to the last state that the email worked, which may then negate other changes you made on your websites.

So take backups yourself (of course, always) and do not rely on your webhost and your VPS to handle critical emails. Get a third party to do this.

I know a lot of people are going to try to tell me that their webhosts support email services and yes, it is true they will support basic things, but when things go bad they will also remind you they are not email administrators and since Cpanel provides the ability to create email addresses and use webmail they will only support that feature as far as cpanel will support what you want to do. I have seen established businesses go dark for a long time (EIG migrations) simply because they relied only on their vps for email and nothing else.
    So what do you propose?

Based on what you said above, it sounds like you would discourage me from using ProtonMail for my business email, even though it is encrypted?

And if I stay with my current web host, then what do I need to do to cover my ass as far as business email and disaster recovery go?

Also, what would you recommend that I do considering that I feel having stored email that is encrypted to me a must in 2018 and beyond?

I have not used Protonmail but they are an established company and they offer a way to have your own domain with your their services in their Business email section.

That would fit the definition of what I advise: Have an experienced third party company that only deals with email administration handle your email if it is critical to your business, so go ahead and use Protonmail if you think they will provide what you need.

I have not used Protonmail but they are an established company and they offer a way to have your own domain with your their services in their Business email section.

That would fit the definition of what I advise: Have an experienced third party company that only deals with email administration handle your email if it is critical to your business, so go ahead and use Protonmail if you think they will provide what you need.
    But what if they don't offer a way to backup your encrypted email and allow you to store it offsite?

I asked my webhost and they didn't seem to think that ProtonMail offers any backup services. My webhost thought that having regular backups of unencrypted email was more important than having no backup of encrypted email.

What do you all think?

What did Protonmail sales say when you asked this? If there answer is not satisfactory for you then check out others like Gmail, 0365, Rackspace and others.

Don't overlook regular ol' web hosting plan email...some hosts offer encryption with cPanel accounts.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

What did Protonmail sales say when you asked this? If there answer is not satisfactory for you then check out others like Gmail, 0365, Rackspace and others.
    They haven't responded

Quote Originally Posted by Collabora View Post
    Don't overlook regular ol' web hosting plan email...some hosts offer encryption with cPanel accounts.
    Do tell more.

My web host told me last night that WHM and cPanel don't offer a way to encrypt emails at rest, and definitely not emails in motion.

He also made it sound like trying to have encrypted email on a VPS which is obviously on a shared server would be nearly impossible.

I like ProtonMail so far for personal use, but their support is starting to suck...

Quote Originally Posted by Adirondacks View Post
    They haven't responded
    their support is starting to suck...

Those are not confident answers before even signing up with them.

A strong short list of 4 or 5 email providers, or less that fit your needs should be your task.
    ██ WPCYCLE MANAGED WORDPRESS WEB HOSTING ██
    Managed WordPress VPS & Managed WordPress Dedicated VPS Servers
    Optimized • NVMe • SSD • KVM • NGINX • WordPress Brute Force Protection • Daily Offsite Backups
    Email: sales@wpcycle.comFacebook: wpcycle • Twitter: wpcycle

Do tell more.

My web host told me last night that WHM and cPanel don't offer a way to encrypt emails at rest, and definitely not emails in motion.

He also made it sound like trying to have encrypted email on a VPS which is obviously on a shared server would be nearly impossible.

I like ProtonMail so far for personal use, but their support is starting to suck...
    cPanel supports GNU Privacy Guard (GnuPG) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Privacy_Guard. cPanel + GnuPG utilizes the public key cryptography technique. Note the article states, [GnuPGP] complies with RFC 4880, the IETF standards-track specification of OpenPGP. Proton uses OpenPGP. You can do this on a VPS

ProtonMail has a reputation of offering the most secure email. I think you are faced with the classic IT conflict: security vs convenience vs budget.
    Collabora Hosting - Unlimited Windows and Linux Hosting
    Web Security - VPS - Dedicated Servers
    Cloud and Managed WordPress Hosting
    Read how we do Unlimited Hosting at the Unlimited FAQ

Not impossible...just that anything Shared still has the potential risk that a neighboring account may be hacked, and someone could gain access to your account through theirs. Thousands if not millions use this setup perfectly fine without issues, but the only 99.99% method would be using your own dedicated server for just emails...and when you think about it, at first it may seem extremely out of budget, but there are low cost (not cheap) provider that you could lease a server from for the same price as a VPS, setup as many email accounts as needed, properly secure it, no neighbors, and have no issues. An email server doesn't need to be the latest greatest server with a ton of RAM, especially if it's just for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12