how does VPS work?

Hi,

I think I may be interested in a VPS for a couple of sites, but I don't know how it works and I have a couple questions about it.

I've seen several VPS offers that include 5 or more domains, but only 1 dedicated IP. Does that mean you can use the IP for 1 domain and the rest are DHCP or do the 5 domains all point to the same IP?

How can I host 5 unique domains, each serving different content?

Thanks,

drc

> Does that mean you can use the IP for 1 domain and the rest
    > are DHCP or do the 5 domains all point to the same IP?
    >
    > How can I host 5 unique domains, each serving different
    > content?

You configure the web server to use name based hosting. This means that several domains point to one IP then, depending on which domain name is used, the content is served.
    Alexander Mann, XISP (Xanthus Design Ltd)
    www.xisp.co.uk | alex@xisp.co.uk

VPS is basically partitioning a server to have multiple instances of the operating system running on each partition. Each reseller is assigned to that operating system and partition. It's nice because you get complete access and the ability to make os changes without affecting other resellers. Just like a dedicated server, but cheaper. All of the installed operating systems share the same CPU and memory.

One word of caution, make sure that the company you go with does not over-populated the server. It can become unstable. I think the most popular operating system is Linux, I think you can also use bsd, not sure. I believe ensim, cpanel, and a few others are control panels that are available for VPS

Ips - They will normally use some type of control panel that will let you setup name based sites with ease. Which means that all the sites are sharing the same IP, but the control panel directs the visitor to the correct site via headers. There is no real performance problems with name based, and shared hosting at most hosting companies is pretty much all name based now anyway.
    springer

VPS is basically a server ... a shared one.
    VPS = Virtual Private Server or most people call it VDS = Virtual Dedicated servers

Originally posted by lcshost
    ...It's nice because you get complete access and the ability to make os changes without affecting other resellers. ...

One word of caution, make sure that the company you go with does not over-populated the server. It can become unstable. ...
    Can I reconfigure PHP (and/or other apps)? How can I find out how many VPS's or sites are on a box? What percentage of utilization would be the threshold for good performance on a box?

Thanks for your help.

-drc

You are going to have to get them on the phone and ask them about their server setup and utilization. I researched this technology as an offering with my company, but I did not want to invest the amount of money needed for the software and the hardware.

I think that the limit was 40 or 50 VPS account per box, but someone else here on WHT will probably correct me. The nice thing is that these servers have to be pretty heavy duty to support VPS, so you will be put on a decent machine. And yes you can reconfigure anything you want with your VPS account.
    springer

How is holding a VPS account beneficial to a bulk-reseller-prog as offered by Dathorn etc.?

Everyone talks of root access .. what difference does it make?

Do we have to install our own softwares/scripts ourselves, or our upstream provider will do that?

Othello, root makes a GIGANTIC difference. It means you get to install the software YOU want to install, and don't have to rely on your upstream to provide it. Whetehr they manage it or not depends on the provider.
    It's the equivalent to having your own small dedicated server. The only MAJOR difference is that you can't do anything to the kernel (which is GOOD, because remote kernel updating sucks ass anyway ... trust me).
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno

This thread should be sticky as well
    ++ dream architect ++