Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    I defintely like the banner where it is now..

Originally posted by venomx

BTW I know Ill never afford advertising on here so... ;p
    Why do you say that? Advertising within forums is usually pretty cheap. I'm sure you'd be suprised if you asked Matt for the prices.

Why do you all like the banner there? Seems to be in the way to me... plus it pushes the page down some...
    John
    http://www.zurax.com
    http://www.jwshosting.com

Donations

Hi there Matt,
    Do you have a Paypal account? You could get some donations via that. Im also sure that other hosts would help out (inc myself) . Nothing big just a few bucks, pounds, whatever.

I think this would help out better than Banner Ads.

Regards

Craig
    GURU Cloud Hosting providing UK Based True Cloud Hosting.
    SimplyHosting Dedicated Servers Based at RG1, Reading. UK. All supported by our own 24/7 onsite team.

hmm an idea... it would require *trust* in the hosts and a little more work by the mods but...

What if in exchange for clickable links in the sig a host would pay Matt say $0.50 a month per customer that puts WHT in the referal field when they signup with that host?

** Dont mind me just running ideas around in my head.. heh
    John
    http://www.zurax.com
    http://www.jwshosting.com

Matt what have you done!

QUOTE "contact us for advertisng information."

So anyone who pays enough can show their banner. NO THIS WAS NOT FOR GREENPEACE BUT OUT OF GREAD. HAVE YOU ALL FORGOTTEN THE ROOTS OF WHT WAS TO BE A NON PROFT USER FRIENDLY FORUM?! I knew this would happen.
    WHT is going down, and it will never be the same again

I URGE ALL OF YOU NOT TO CLICK ON THE BANNERS.
    Low Cost Web Hosting
    www.TechnoHosts.com

i may not be frequent WHT so often.. the banner really turn me off.

Matt, what are the advertising rates, i'm interested.

Originally posted by TechnoHosts
    Matt what have you done!

QUOTE "contact us for advertisng information."

So anyone who pays enough can show their banner. NO THIS WAS NOT FOR GREENPEACE BUT OUT OF GREAD. HAVE YOU ALL FORGOTTEN THE ROOTS OF WHT WAS TO BE A NON PROFT USER FRIENDLY FORUM?! I knew this would happen.
    WHT is going down, and it will never be the same again

I URGE ALL OF YOU NOT TO CLICK ON THE BANNERS.
    Did you happen to read and understand Matt's post??

I believe he said that this was a temporary solution. And, once the rest of his plans produce income, banners would be removed from the forums.

At least, that's the way I understood it.

But, you're right! You don't have to click on the banner
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Hopefully this place doesnt get run down with ***** & addr ads.

WHT is going down, and it will never be the same again.
    You always get one so doesn't read the thread. It was not an easy decision to make and hopefully normal operations will resume when the new directory is up. You don't have to click the banner and it doesn't interfere with your ability to participate in the discussions, its just a banner. I hope you have other things to occupy your time than a banner on WHT.

>So anyone who pays enough can show their banner

No, only selected companies who are well established and have a good reputation will be allowed to advertise here.

>NO THIS WAS NOT FOR GREENPEACE BUT OUT OF GREAD.

Did I say it was for Greenpeace??? Just a test banner.

>HAVE YOU ALL FORGOTTEN THE ROOTS OF WHT WAS TO BE A NON PROFT USER FRIENDLY FORUM?

The roots of WebHostingTalk? I'm not sure where you got that from, I don't remember engraving any roots on to a stone.

>I URGE ALL OF YOU NOT TO CLICK ON THE BANNERS

Now you are just making yourself (and your company) look silly, constructive suggestions and feedback I welcome and review, but shitting on someone's doorstep is just out of order.

I presume I'm going to have to lock this shortly

-
    This move will not affect the user friendliness and guidelines of the forum.
    MattF - Since the start..

I spoke to him on icq, he said he would only let reputable companies advertise.

Matt,

Don't lock it on one person's view.

Now, if you started to get slammed from all directions. . . . .Sure I wouldn't blame you.
    But you know that there will be some that don't bother to read, let alone understand, what you're saying.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

Matt, email sent regarding advertising, i was also thinking about paying a fee to have active links in my sig, i personally think this is a great move!

Naaaaah.. the ads are fine

I'm thinking of ways to make money out of my site, without using banners. I'd love to live off my web site, not have a full time job to pay for the *bleep*-ing thing. But even with banners it's difficult... these days everyone's like "now what?" with their web sites.

Don't blame Matt, blame.. er.. the net?

Sorg
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

I over reacted and have already apologised to Matt. My thought, which he has informed me is the plan. is to keep all banners in the directory and keep WHTForums clean of banners.

sounds cool to me
    Low Cost Web Hosting
    www.TechnoHosts.com

Well

Well

Do what ever you want. Keep in mind that someone is eating the costs for this fun, and last time i checked it wasnt me.

Pay the bills, do what you need too

Joe
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

At first I didn't really like the ads, mostly I was just suprised at the sudden appearance.. I say keep them, if there's a goal to accomplish, the supporting revenue's gotta come from somewhere. One thing i'd like to see ( my opinion ) are these forum constraints let up a bit. Maybe make up for the ads by allowing avatars again...

CHILL

wow.

can you lot calm down its like you have smelt blood and going for a kill.

I have just come onto this board (check post tally at side!) and why did I come here and register and start checking it/posting - because it is interesting and packed with people with similar interests, some in more experiaced positions , some not. I love this.

Now this bloke Matt is getting grief from his girl and the bank manager - not a nice combo. Personally I dont care about banner ads as they dont affect me - only time i have ever clicked was a thinkgeek one on /.

If you all decide to bugger off somewhere else that defeats the point of having such a forum.

Instead of boycotting the ad, just do what I do, if it is relavant and interests me, i click. if it isnt, i dont. simple.

This is a mole hill - the mountain is *that* way >>>

I like where the banner was moved before it was just too weird.. and now it blends more. Anyway, since this is the suggestion forum.. I suggest that the banners stay off hosting. Letting hosts get selected for being "established and have a good reputation " might (I hope not) get ugly like back to when everyone was jumping down the mods throats for recommending some hosts more than others.

What I think should get advertised are webmaster resources. Vbulletin, design tools, domain registrars, sitepoint like you already have. All these can pay really nice, especially with how popular wht is. It will also keep the forums true to what I've always like about it. There is no favoring with hosts.. it is just open discussion to help the community choose for themselves (not having wht choose for them... as bad as that sounds.. to some people its the deciding factor no matter what rep the host holds). What wht thinks is "established and reputable" is not what another visitor here will feel.. if they were burned by that host.. which will happen from time to time. I dunno.. I guess I think it kind of alienates those forum members.

Just how I feel about it.. I hope you'll take it into consideration.

Dear Elena,

I myself would like to advertise on here, but what you said is the truth, domain registrars and other resources would be much better then advertising different webhosts.

First, I want to say that if I am incorrect in anything I am posting, then I apologize upfront. But I am only going on based what I have read on these boards.

I understand your financial issue. I honest and truly do. I think everyone has atleast once been where you are, but there IS a moral issue here.

To my understanding, ubersmith is donating a server and bandwidth in exchange for advertising on the site, exclusive advertising at the time. Just an assumption here, but I would think that they did this in hopes that there would be enough signups so that the board would pay for itself, or the exposure would give word of mouth referrals. To my understanding, without their support, at this time, we would not be viewing the ads to have this discussion. Of course, other hosts may volunteer their help, but again, the same issue applies...

Why is their button at the bottom of the page?

All the hosts that hosted this board deserve to be at the top of the page...simply because this board is here for all of us to access. It takes time and money. If this board goes down for five minutes, that host is gonna be talked about...it has happened many times. Don't let the board run slow. Again, a heavily viewed thread. To host this board, you better be darn sure of your services, because it could easily ruin your reputation. Look what Wizard (is that right?) went through with the VDI mess. Can you imagine the amount of people that probably thought wizard what a bad host, when it was really VDI screwing up?

Now to possibly implement ANY hosting company to advertise on this site takes away the edge of the host doing all the work. Just does not seem right to me. Even if it is for a short period of time...how can you do that? Make money, you keep it, and have someone else pay the bill?

Clickable links for hosts is a much more fair way to make money. If a host can't cough up $5-$10/mo to support the forums they frequent...their pathetic. With a day, you can have paysystems or instabill setup with orders coming in. Monthly income completely independent of whatever that other site is gonna be. There are 5000 members. If you take 10% of that number, you have 500 people, at $5/mo is $2500/mo. At $10/mo, that's $5000. I SERIOUSLY doubt you will make that much, that fast using ads.

Now, any host that does not sign up for it, is gonna look cheap and it's not gonna make them look good, so you have the hosts. You will also get other sites who simply want a clickable link.

For those that are not a host, don't have a site, setup a Amazon thing, so we can donate money.

I am not a host, but I do frequent these boards, and would chip in to help. But if I WAS a host, I would NOT advertise here, because it would bother me that ubersmith was getting a bad deal.

Good luck with your situation Matt. I do wish you the best. And if you do offer clickable links, I'm there...and I think you would have a large following with that.

I actually like that Matt has decided to make money of his site, but I don`t think the banner fits in with the forum but I understand there is no other way at this time. I hope Matt finds a way to get his revenue from his users. My "vision" of a future WHT would be a closely integrated directory with vbulletin. Have a REALLY clean directory (in PHP) on the bottom of the forum (on the same page) that can be investigated further on a separate page. And then implement a hostsearch ranking sceme. And have only WHT users (with link to users posts) post reviews. And then have the "special offers" forum deleted and have them to pay a SMALL fee for a classified add integrated on the right side of the forum. Then the forum would be highly commercial yet clean.

OK, I know this is totally unrealistic mostly because Matt has worked his butt off on his idea, but I haven`t ranted for a long time on this forum

Matt, what about also trying something like paypal donate, or amazon honor system(even though I hear they take more out). I there there would be some people including me who would be willing to make a contribution. This place has really helped me out a lot.

Originally posted by TechnoHosts
    your point is well said, but not based on facts. This is another example of a money-based self contradiction. In the past WHT has said " they were non profit, and would not sell ads."
    Aloha

and your girlfriend said she would never cheat on ya

hehehehe
    just having fun
    Aloha, Chad
    www.happyfish.com
    To do a move in such a way that no one suspects let alone detects !!!

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast