Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    As far as the banner goes, if you are doing it for money let us know, If you take a collection each month, and we all pay $3 or something that should cover your costs. I think we would all be much happier with that idea.

Originally posted by ckizer
    As far as the banner goes, if you are doing it for money let us know, If you take a collection each month, and we all pay $3 or something that should cover your costs. I think we would all be much happier with that idea.
    Let's see. . . . 5,000 members X $3 = $15,000 a month.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

He could have added popups.....
    John
    http://www.zurax.com
    http://www.jwshosting.com

How about everyone pays $5 to have their URL in their sig set to click-able or $5 a month gets your ad sgown in the banner rotation? ;p
    John

That should definetly payoff the server fees

Originally posted by AnIdiot

Let's see. . . . 5,000 members X $3 = $15,000 a month.

Hey what happend to waiting for Matt to answer?

Originally posted by node9
    Hey what happend to waiting for Matt to answer?
    We're havin' too much fun now

ROFLMAO

Originally posted by Micky
    As a viewer of the forums, I would not care if he had a banner or not.

However, if I was hosting this site for free in the belief of giving back to the community for a site that does not make any money, which has been stated time and time again, I would refuse host the site for free. ...

How do you know that Matt is not putting up the banner ad as a favor to the hosting company?

I suspect only Matt knows why the banner is there, and it is totally his choice whether or not it remains.
    This space for let.
    Inquire within.

The whole point here is that there is an ad on a non-profit site. No problem at all if that is what this site was about, but where is the price structure so I can get my banner up there? Bet that never happens and you wanna know why? Cause this is a "NO HOST SHALL PROFIT" site. My biggest question is "Where Is Matt?" I'd bet he is out trying to come up with a good excuse to be able to make this site a "Matt SHALL PROFIT SITE" which would also be fine, but not after harping about this being a non-profit site. "Thats not what this site was intended for" But now all of a sudden the "Hosting Forum" is now a "Save the 'Bleepin' Polar Bear Club" Polar Bear, Save the world, Web Hosting..... I kind of see the conection.
    FYI, Purposely being sarcastic for the fun of it.
    Thank You, Sesran
    www.Hostified.com - Web Hosting
    Offering Shared, Reseller & Windows Hosting

Originally posted by Hostexp
    Nice templates! you must have alot of time.
    LOL.. actually I made the original template back when I think it was Duster who recommended that forum members contribute templates. I just never finished the entire template so I never submitted it for review.

As for Matt's reasons for adding the banner... I don't think any of us should really snoop into it. Even if he had originally said no banners.. which of us have never changed our minds? come on.. we all do.. and whatever reason made him.. I am sure it was a good reason.

But as for the kind of banner used.. I would think that maybe banners for domain registrars, webmaster software, programs, resources, etc. would work a lot better than greenpeace since it at least fits in with the genre of this board.

I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but when I clicked on a thread I got a popup. The only other browser window I had open was my own website that I'm working on offline..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wht-popup.gif  

Originally posted by Mr. Amazon
    I don't know if this happened to anyone else, but when I clicked on a thread I got a popup. The only other browser window I had open was my own website that I'm working on offline..
    I haven't seen anything like that around here.

one more comment on this.. no pop-ups.. PLEASE!
    at the moment I have 6 browser windows open, icq, ftp, humanclick, photoshop, 3 notepads... you have no idea what pop-ups do to me!

I know.. popup stopper.. I actually had that installed but it kept freezing my system.. not to mention would get pretty annoying when I actually wanted to open a new browser window.. ctrl or shift clicking links just isn't my style

but.. that banner in your attachment Mr. Amazon.. that is exactly the type of ad that would not bug me at wht no matter where it was placed.. and I think it would be cool for some needing help finding good registrars, programs and the like.

I could care less if they have one banner at the most. They should do sponserships like sitepoint in my opinion. Yes he gets hosting for free by Voxel but he's allowed to make a profit since its his site though

I have some great ideas on how WebHostingTalk could implement sponsorship type ads..

I e-mailed matt about it to see if he's interested.

Matt's still not commented on this thread????

Originally posted by JamesCross
    Matt's still not commented on this thread????
    Doesn't look like he's planing to.
    What would be the point??

It wouldn't matter what he said, someone would find something wrong with his explaination.

If I was him, and felt like addressing the situation, I'd just make a sticky about it so it wouldn't get trashed.

It's his site. Let him do what he wants.

Just my views

Originally posted by AnIdiot

It's his site. Let him do what he wants.

Just my views
    True, but is'nt better to stop people speculating on your intentions, by letting them know your plans?

I just noticed the move under the bar thing. Looks better.

Much better position

Originally WebHostingTalk was an integrated part of Host Investigator, a commercial web-hosting directory, started in 1998 however has long since closed. After purchasing the domain and UBB license I moved the HostInvestigator forums to WebHostingTalk, and started promoting the site on Goto.com, ClickExchange, DirectHit and a few other places, at the time it was almost impossible to integrate with the current advertisement system on HostInvestigator, so I decided for the time-being to keep the forums advertisement-free and earn advertising revenue off HostInvestigator. Whilst forums grew rapidly HostInvestigator declined at an equally rapid rate. Later in the year I purchased a Vbulletin license and severed the close ties between WebHostingTalk and Host Investigator. Eventually I closed Host Investigator to focus on other projects including WebHostingTalk. Months later after a few new site designs, several law-suit threats, many sleepless nights, new rules and several new hosting companies this is where WebHostingTalk is now.

My intention was to keep WebHostingTalk advertisement-free, however this is no longer possible. HostInvestigator ceased creating advertisement revenue in July 2000, WebHostingTalk does not currently create any advertisement revenue. My masterplan was (is) to develop a new web hosting directory and integrate it with WebHostingTalk and then move the forums to http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forums/, and at the same time get the /forums/* area free from advertisements. However development is taking a lot longer than expected and completion is a few months away. Meanwhile my credit has dried up, the banks are harassing me and my income is zero. For the timebeing until the commercial directory is integrated into the site I will have to put banner advertisements on the forums. This has not been an easy decision by any means.

I will be selling banner advertising on WebHostingTalk, to selected companies who are established and have a good reputation. The advertising revenue will also allow me to start promoting WebHostingTalk through paid-advertising.

Sorry for the delay in responding to this thread, personal problems with my girlfriend gave me only a few minutes here and there to reply to this thread, I wanted to wait and think through what I was going to say.
    MattF - Since the start..

Matt,

That should put a stop to the speculation. I'm sure all the members will support your decisions. We all know that running a site this size isnt cheap.

Fair enough Matt, I for one am happy with that explanation.

Yes, I always thought there should be a banner here, if Matt didn't want the money, he could donate it to a good cause. However, the key is communication, as long as you let people know what's going on, most will not have a problem with banners (presuming they don't popup, blink 25 times per second or have sound).

I think I liked the banner up top. But anyways Matt I think http://forums.webhostingtalk.com/ would be better than http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forums/ but thats just my opinion....

BTW I know Ill never afford advertising on here so... ;p
    John

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast