Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Well

He might as well put a ad every where, sponsorships and what not.

If your gonna do it, take it all the way.

I mean, any advertisment is clearly making money, which is fine, just a contradiction

Is the WHT gonna start selling hosting packages now also

Joe
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

What if it's simply that Greenpeace is something Matt feels strongly about and wants to show his support??
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

It's not.. I meanmaybe it is but he told me that he is putting this ad as a trial to get the feeling of what an ad will look like on WHT...

Anyways, I don't believe that we have 2 pages of rumors.. let's just wait for his final decision.
    Marketing For Hosting Companies:

repost:

I *dont think* he was paid for this as the advert is avalible to freely download and has the link-to text etc. So I would say he is just voicing something he supports, now wether he should impose his views on us, hmmm! But tis cuddly polar bears

Click through - that isnt paid advertising.

Originally posted by Studio-51
    repost:

I *dont think* he was paid for this as the advert is avalible to freely download and has the link-to text etc. So I would say he is just voicing something he supports, now wether he should impose his views on us, hmmm! But tis cuddly polar bears

Click through - that isnt paid advertising.

Dem bears scare me

So we have 2 possibilities[list=1][*]Just putting banner there for no pay (likely)[*]Getting Paid for banner (Geenpeace...I don't think so)[/list=1]
    So, lets suppose in the unlikely event he is getting paid. You all say he has free hosting now (which I am sure he does) but you have to remember all of the early hosting costs that came out of his own pocket, as well as the vB licences.

On the otherhand, he is just be politically/enviromentally active and in that case I say: Go Matt!
    Colin

I think this whole thread is beyond stupid. This whole, "the internet should be FREE" mentality is NOT grounded in reality. I haven't seen Matt telling any of you naysayers what to do with your own website.

Now, if you want to discuss the banner, I would start with the idea of Green Peace being a bunch of whacko's.
    WeedBiz™ provides comprehensive internet marketing services for the emerging legal cannabis industry in the United States and Canada.

Everyone is brainwashed as a child to think that the polar ice caps melting, running out of oxygen, etc are going to happen during their lifetime. They aren't allowed to teach religion in schools, yet they force children to listen to all the propoganda about the environment without even telling them the facts. The earth's temperature has risen 1 degree in 100 years...in fact the data that was collected suggested that the Earth's temperature was increasing more rapidly before even the 1900's. Even on the site the banner goes to, they announce how offshore drilling contributes to global warming and threatens the environment with oil spills. Yes, I do remember the Valdez, but that was a rare case. Most oil spills are successfully cleaned up. And as far as oil drilling causing global warming...I just dont see any connection between the two, offshore drilling doesn't affect the rate of consumption...The amount of greenhouse gasses in the air has dropped siginificantly in the recent years, yet they preach a doomsday message that we're all gonna die within our lifetime...OK, looks like im a little off topic...ill stop talking...
    Justin Bachus
    BlastHosting, LLC - Professional web hosting at a low price with
    PHP, MySQL, FreeBSD, and more!
    http://www.blasthosting.com

Lightbulb

Why not just wait untill Matt responds to this thread; instead of making all these assumptions

Everyone is brainwashed as a child to think that the polar ice caps melting, running out of oxygen, etc are going to happen during their lifetime. They aren't allowed to teach religion in schools, yet they force children to listen to all the propoganda about the environment without even telling them the facts. The earth's temperature has risen 1 degree in 100 years...in fact the data that was collected suggested that the Earth's temperature was increasing more rapidly before even the 1900's. Even on the site the banner goes to, they announce how offshore drilling contributes to global warming and threatens the environment with oil spills. Yes, I do remember the Valdez, but that was a rare case. Most oil spills are successfully cleaned up. And as far as oil drilling causing global warming...I just dont see any connection between the two, offshore drilling doesn't affect the rate of consumption...The amount of greenhouse gasses in the air has dropped siginificantly in the recent years, yet they preach a doomsday message that we're all gonna die within our lifetime...OK, looks like im a little off topic...ill stop talking...
    hehe
    WeedBiz™ provides comprehensive internet marketing services for the emerging legal cannabis industry in the United States and Canada.

hmm.. matt.. if there are going to be banners.. at least make it look nice
    here are my suggestions, and a slight make over to the header too

template 1
    template 2
    template 3
    template 4 (banner at the bottom)
    Last edited by Elena; 08-06-2001 at 03:19 AM.

Wow, excellent templates mate, I think I'll do something similar on our forums.. I prefer the first one...

hmm.. maybe Matt should consider doing special sponsorships like Sitepointforums.com and not standard banners?
    Marketing For Hosting Companies:

Usual

As usual Elena Kicks butt.

Great work

Joe
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

Originally posted by Elena
    template 1
    template 2
    template 3

Me cant reach em
    back from the dead

Originally posted by Dexter
    Well I don't mind banner ads but I just wish there would have been some warning about it. I mean if money was needed I'm sure people could have come up with ways of making some.

Sell t-shirts, charge hosts to post in the advertising folder!, etc, etc...
    *L*

WATCH OUT EVERYONE THERES A BANNER COMING!!!!!

*ducks*

also, it's matts site, so I think we should all just be glad that it's just a banner, not someting worse =(. AFter all, it's Matt's site.

I feel better now. I'm not comfortable on a site without a banner

Just remember it's Matt's site and his decision in the end. For those of you that don't like it I'm sure you can just go to another similar forum. It's just a banner - not a pop up window that spawns multiple pop ups...
    Web Zone Search
    http://www.webzonesearch.com

this is just going to be a temporary move, until matt can get some stuff sorted out....
    The Php Support Desk
    http://www.phpsupportdesk.com
    Custom programming - kunal @ e-phoria.com
    http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

Temporary as in he needed to make some quick cash? If so I think that is fine. It is his right to make money off of a non profit forum, right? I bet the red cross web site sells advertising these days too.
    Low Cost Web Hosting
    www.TechnoHosts.com

As a viewer of the forums, I would not care if he had a banner or not.

However, if I was hosting this site for free in the belief of giving back to the community for a site that does not make any money, which has been stated time and time again, I would refuse host the site for free. This site must take up a considerable amount of bandwidth, and unless the banners at the bottom actually makes the site pay for itself...it's unfair to the host. Any money made, however brief, should go to the host first.

Actually, it would be nice if the site made some money (by showing non-hosting ads) so that it could pay for hosting. This way, it would be fair to everyone. No preferred host, no host getting extra exposure, etc. Just a site with lots of good information.

I don't mind the banners at all - Especially if Matt has to make money.

Then again. . . I think Micky makes a valid point.

Nice templates! you must have alot of time.

Well i don't even think alot can be made from advertising these days, unless targeted hosting adverts. The market for online advertising is falling rapidly, you can only get 0.10 CPC and 0.35 CPM at the most these days. I really think its a non profit banner as its for a non profit org.

Don't forget he has to pay for hosting the site and other expenses. Its his forums though, he can do what he wants.

Regards,
    HostEXP D

Originally posted by Elena
    hmm.. matt.. if there are going to be banners.. at least make it look nice
    here are my suggestions, and a slight make over to the header too

template 1
    template 2
    template 3

he doesnt have to pay for his server or bandwidth
    Low Cost Web Hosting
    www.TechnoHosts.com