Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Now Advertising?

So will hosts be able to advertise in this "non-profit" forum. I think selling banner space was a terrible move. Please do not delete this post, I'm just describing my opinion.
    Low Cost Web Hosting
    www.TechnoHosts.com

im just talking to matt about this.. i dun like it either
    The Php Support Desk
    http://www.phpsupportdesk.com
    Custom programming - kunal @ e-phoria.com
    http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

Re: Now Advertising?

Originally posted by TechnoHosts
    So will hosts be able to advertise in this "non-profit" forum. I think selling banner space was a terrible move. Please do not delete this post, I'm just describing my opinion.
    Yes, it does put a sort of sinister twist on the forum, even if it is only GreenPeace. I'm not sure what to think of it... but I'm sure Matt will explain the move.

Hi,
    Perhaps Matt will limit the banners to charities only. This would be a nice thing to do, considering all the traffic this site has.
    But....everyone needs to make a living.
    Jim
    RotoHOST.com
    webhosting solutions for e-Business

WHT has contradicted themsleves again. Where once there would never be any advertising to ugly flashing banners at the top of the page. Good job Matt... Once again you have put another knife in the backs of the people who visit your forums. How about being faithful to the people who support you?
    Thank You, Sesran
    www.Hostified.com - Web Hosting
    Offering Shared, Reseller & Windows Hosting

I dont have a problem with the banner being for a good cause. I hope they are not charging greenpeace for it thou.

Regards

Craig
    GURU Cloud Hosting providing UK Based True Cloud Hosting.
    SimplyHosting Dedicated Servers Based at RG1, Reading. UK. All supported by our own 24/7 onsite team.

Craig,
    the cause probably means little or nothing to WHT. What matters most now is probably the check they get at the end of the month.

---------------------------

ADVERTISING CAMPAIGN:
    Who's Next: ***** and Addr Hosting

NOTE: WHEN I SAY WHT I MEAN MATT, NOT THE MODS
    Low Cost Web Hosting
    www.TechnoHosts.com

Does it really matter?

I dont have anything against Matt having banners on HIS site. Afterall its not like anyone is going to be forced to click on them, and i see no reason why it will change the forums for the worse. If he is going to sell the banner space to hosts then im pretty sure he wont sell it to companies like *****.
    Sitepoint forums have adverts all over them and it doesnt seem to matter.

Matt has the right to make money like every other peson.

your point is well said, but not based on facts. This is another example of a money-based self contradiction. In the past WHT has said " they were non profit, and would not sell ads."
    Low Cost Web Hosting
    www.TechnoHosts.com

I don't enjoy the banner ad, no links in sigs, no avatars, but come on people. Everyone treats WHT as if it is their god given right for it to be there and for matt to continually shell out money for it! Lets just have a good time and let matt do what matt does...until it hampers someone's ability to post here, let's just let it be.
    Colin

perhaps he is contradicting him self. but again does it really matter?

A couple of points. One, none of the mods know anything about this, as far as I can tell, so don't ask us about it. Two, if I had to guess, which I hate doing as I might be wrong, I doubt the ad was sold. Three, even if it was, 'non-profit' does not mean 'no income'. There are costs assosiated with running this site and it would be more than fair to break even. Four, even if the site shifted to 'for profit' that's Matt's choice and personally, if I had a site this successful, I'd want to make a few bucks on it and I think everyone here would feel the same way.

Matt has said he'll discuss it soon, so hold out until then. I know the after the fact discussion makes everyone a bit twitchy, but it will be addressed.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

banner ads

Im not opposed to banner ads at all even if they are for profit, as long as their reputable companys and good looking ads. What i do hate is the fact how the banner ad sticks out, if your going to put banner ads up at least blend them into the background, and restrict animated annoying ads LIKE the one your running now, their annoying and hurt my eyes.
    affordablecolo.com carrier grade colocation at a affordable price!
    Charles Baker - Company Operations
    1-866-316-HOST

Leave the guy alone - his site right?

I like the ads, I like sponsorships.. after all, it's hosting related products right? it's parts of the industry!!

So let's think what would be the best way for Matt to create the ad space.. maybe sponsorships like on SItepointforums ?

hmm..
    Marketing For Hosting Companies:

Once again you have put another knife in the backs of the people who visit your forums. How about being faithful to the people who support you?
    You SUPPORT him? You send him a check every month? How do you support WHT? By sending traffic here? Well, zipadeedooda! What does that do but make his bill larger every month?
    WeedBiz™ provides comprehensive internet marketing services for the emerging legal cannabis industry in the United States and Canada.

Support doesn't always mean money. Also this thread was not meant as a flame to WHT. I wanted to know why the banner shows up in the center of the screen one day. If you could just tell me why that'd be great.
    Low Cost Web Hosting
    www.TechnoHosts.com

Well, the banner certainly doesn't bother me!
    If I don't want to see it; I'll just go somewhere else.
    But I imagine that most people are upset about WHT's "we'll never. . . . ." kind of stuff. Then one day banners start showing up.
    I imagine that when Matt started this forum, his costs were minimal. Today, I'm sure, it costs much more.
    You can't really blame a person for self preservation; can you?

Just my thoughts
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I really dont mind the banner ads, after all ...we're all surfing here for free eating up Matt's bandwidth
    Marc Wyss - marc@mchost.com
    MCHost Inc - Experts in Private Label Reseller Plans
    http://www.mchost.com

Perhaps we should wait for an answer from him...

If it was a choice between adverts to support the site or no site at all...I know what I would go for! I *dont think* he was paid for this as the advert is avalible to freely download and has the link-to text etc. So I would say he is just voicing something he supports, now wether he should impose his views on us, hmmm! But tis cuddly polar bears

I would say that choosing advertisers would be a Good Thing, like seeing an advert for a host who posts here would be erm, well weird

But for you bored designers out there, if you click through there is a 'rouge site' contest on their page, asking to design the best spoof BP website...

Marc its not like he has to pay for the bandwidth. He gets the bandwidth for free if my memory is correct.
    Low Cost Web Hosting
    www.TechnoHosts.com

I think the banner would look better right justified than centered...just my opinion...
    Justin Bachus
    BlastHosting, LLC - Professional web hosting at a low price with
    PHP, MySQL, FreeBSD, and more!
    http://www.blasthosting.com

From what I remember his server is hosted for free by Voxel Dot Net. Anyhoot, a lot of us admin a server and it takes time. I do not like were the banner is, but if he wants one for any reason, I support it. It is his board.

Well I don't mind banner ads but I just wish there would have been some warning about it. I mean if money was needed I'm sure people could have come up with ways of making some.

Sell t-shirts, charge hosts to post in the advertising folder!, etc, etc...

If it's to pay for the server etc... then the banner is fine.
    If it is to make some money then I am leaning towards thinking it shouldn't be there.

why should he not be allowed to make money for him self?

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast