FREE webhosting.. Good or Bad?

I am new to web hosting and am thinking about offerng a limited number of accounts with FREE web space to attract customers.

Good idea or Bad? Why?

Thanks in advance for not flaming me

There is nothing wrong with it, but look for sites that you want to sponsor not just any site. Let them know you might want a link or banner later on in return for hosting. Find sites you have an interest in and know with whom you are dealing with.
    Sitekeeper
    Google

It's good idea but doesn't give a guarantee that you will get some clients. Better idea is give a facility to host multiple domains to your clients which ensure u will get some clients.
    ---> Looking for India (Mumbai) based hosting company ?
    ---> Affordable Shared & Resellers WebHosting Plans.
    http://www.HostForNet.com | email: info@hostfornet.com

Re: FREE webhosting.. Good or Bad?

Originally posted by WhatWasThat
    I am new to web hosting and am thinking about offerng a limited number of accounts with FREE web space to attract customers.

Good idea or Bad? Why?

Thanks in advance for not flaming me
    no flames here...

Anyway, I tried that when we opened. It opened up a big can of worms, and people tried and tried to abuse it. We were actually going to give out 10 of our lowest accounts free to people - only 1 was not fraudulent that we signed up - we had about 50 emails or so during that time from people who wanted it.

Just be careful who you actually let sign up, is all I'm saying.

-David
    Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002

Thanks alot for the advice!! It is amazing that there are so many nice people willing to share...

How do you verify the veracity or legitimacy of potentential clients? Is there a "better" way than say, requiring a previous site, or references?

( References... LOL, that is just a joke, right?..right? )

Originally posted by WhatWasThat
    Thanks alot for the advice!! It is amazing that there are so many nice people willing to share...

How do you verify the veracity or legitimacy of potentential clients? Is there a "better" way than say, requiring a previous site, or references?

( References... LOL, that is just a joke, right?..right? )
    Well, for those free ones it was pretty darn easy.. See, the way I had it done was I required them to type a specific coupon code into the order form to give them free hosting. Most of the order forms came up as something similar:

"First Name: No"
    "Last Name: No"
    "Address: No"
    etcetcetc...

Some of them even swore at us in the order form - very odd for someone who wants free stuff. Other things to check:

1) Where are they located? Does their IP come from australia, while they say they're a Florida resident?
    2) You could also call them
    3) If you require some type of CC info like we did (just to be sure, and keep things 'safe' for us - we never charged them) - is the CC# some fake one like '4111-1111-1111-1111' or is it real?

I'd really reccomend putting it out there for only english sites, or whatever language(s) you speak as well. It makes abuse easier to spot. I'd also reccomend only sponsoring pre-existing websites with good amounts of traffic - there's no sense in giving it away to a person who wants a message board one month, and then abandons it.

Anyway, good luck with it. It'll be a trying time when you unleash this on the public

-David
    Ion Web Services/TronicTech
    http://www.ion-web.com or Unsupported webhosting?!?
    Shared hosting, Reseller accounts, Dedicated Servers, and More
    Proudly hosting since 2002

My advice if you are going into the free area is to plan it well ahead, so you are not open to abuse.

Have a specific space and B/W limit set and make sure they can't go over that limit. The abusers will try their best to exploit it if there isn't a cutoff point.

Request that only certain types of sites be approved, and check them before allowing them hosting. Don't have autosignup, English only sites (or if you are bi/tri-lingual, just sites that you can read), if possible get a warez tracker (warez are hidden in so many files nowadays).

Good luck!

warez tracker?

How is that possible? I would like to kick them out although I like warez lovah

Originally posted by thedavid

Anyway, good luck with it. It'll be a trying time when you unleash this on the public

-David [/B]
    You know, I think I heard laughter...
    Mwahahaha (something like that...)

====

To my original question... Good or Bad? I think web hosting has its inherent difficulties when trying t deal with fraud and scams, etc. If you aren't at leats a little prepared for those people who are "shady", then you should not do it yourself perhaps.

But, perspective-wise, if you entertained the idea to offer FREE subscriptions again, would you? Why (not)?

I think I want this smilie for those that want to cuss in e-mails LOL ... bless his little heart...