hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : The Postman always rings twice.

Forum Jump

The Postman always rings twice.

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2003, 05:38 AM
working on it

The Postman always rings twice.

After a lot of thinking about how to control spam I realised I am spammed even in my offline life several times a day and it is more annoying than the spam in my email inbox.

The first to arrive early in the morning at the gate of my house are the vegetable and fruit vendors. First the cycle bells ring [just like the email popup announcers] and if you try to ingnore them they will continously bang the gate with the gate latch. And next they will be at the front door leaning hard on the doorbell button. And if open the door they will never leave the house till you buy something or shout them till they leave.

The next to arrive are the carpet sellers. They dont follow the vegetable vendors' procedure. They just stand at the gate and in a grating loud voice they shout " Caaaaaarrrrrpaaaaaaaaait". This will go on and on like a stuck needle of a scratched gramophone record. After a while they remain silent and wait patiently like a vulture till someone opens the door to go to the office or college. And then they restart their master voice of the loud playing gramophone. If you say you dont need a carpet and show them your expensive persian carpet they will reply : no problem saar we will give an exchange offer for our better designs....you just pay 75% plus your old persian carpet.

Next on the live person spammers list are the various salesmen from professional marketing agencies. What ever you want they got in their bottomless bags. Vaccum cleaners, socks, ties, insect repellers, cooking vessels. They are smarter than the others: well dressed and cultivated manners. They come in pairs- the first man knocks on the door with a pad and a pencil in hand while his partner waits with the huge bag hidden from the view of the front door. When you answer the door thinking perhaps its a courier delivery you are asked to answer a marketing survey questionaire. And while you are filling in the questionaire the second salesman comes to the door silently and pulls out a couple of items to sell.

Now its lunchtime and for a couple of hours there is not a single soul on the hot tarmac roads. You begin to think its all over and you can now go for that siesta after a nice lunch. Just as you are about to doze off the loud clank clank noise of the gate latch alerts you. This is the time for the godmen, fortune tellers and astrologers to come visiting you to change your destiny and prosperity. A very interesting bunch of people who have remarkable ability to read your mind and create fear.

Last in the line are the ultra sophisticated insurance, credit card and loans salesmen. First they call you on the phone to announce that you are a lucky winner of a special scheme. You and your spouse are invited to a function to signup for the scheme and colllect gifts at their corporate office. If you try to tell them you are too busy to attend the function they will arrive at your door in the next fifteen minutes with gift boxes and chocolates for your kids. How can you say no to an insurance plan after your kid has swallowed four Cadbury's chocolate bars ? lol

I forgot to mention that just once in a day the regular postman comes and drops the letters into the letterbox. He always come at the right time on his daily rounds and if he has a letter for you he rings his cycle bell twice ..."tring tring" ...and he is gone.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2003, 07:33 AM
Web Hosting Master

I can vouch for that, When I was in the middle-east some 4 years ago with friends I remember seeing some of the above...

You have to make a living somehow, spam seems to work

"The only way to overcome fear, is to challenge it head on"
"The quickest way to get over a woman, is to get under another"

Old 08-03-2003, 07:57 AM
Community Leader

Wow! I am glad I don't live in your country

Sponsored Links
Old 08-03-2003, 08:06 AM
Disabled

I know the feeling RajanUrs. I've spent several months at a time in Cuba and the situation is the same. I would say 8-10 sales visits a day.
When I was in Central America it was similar but I didn't see it as much because I was usually on the move.

Old 08-03-2003, 01:41 PM
working on it

Quote:
Originally posted by anon-e-mouse
Wow! I am glad I don't live in your country
anon-e-mouse, I dont know where you live but years back I used to read similar stories in Dagwood Bumstead cartoon strips and used to have a good laugh because the only sales persons knocking on our door would be a couple of vendors selling vegetables or fruits.

Old 08-03-2003, 01:50 PM
Web Hosting Master

I always thought the door-to-door sales man "age" was done. I haven't had one knock on my doors in 10 years.

Old 08-04-2003, 06:46 AM
Php Programmer/Php Developer

Yes nowadays spamming and advertisements are going very techy and hard to refuse...

...take the case of an UK bank which sends its LOAN PRODUCTS flyers and pamphlets to its customers when ? when a particular customer's bank account becomes lower than 50....

Old 08-04-2003, 06:57 AM
Web Hosting Master

They simply should get a punishment for terrorising people's life.

There are some guys that try to sell you something a few times a week. And all for a few $'s.

Old 08-04-2003, 10:50 AM
ex-Aussie

A big dog and a 'beware' sign does wonders to keep them away.

Old 08-04-2003, 02:16 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by dbbrock1
I always thought the door-to-door sales man "age" was done. I haven't had one knock on my doors in 10 years.
me too.. i havent had one in like 10 years.. from ny...

Old 08-04-2003, 02:21 PM
Web Hosting Master

That is freaking ridiculous!

Old 08-04-2003, 02:25 PM
Disabled

Quote:
Originally posted by akashik
A big dog and a 'beware' sign does wonders to keep them away.
It doesn't work as well as actually having a big dog.

Old 08-04-2003, 03:12 PM
working on it

My lhasa apso never barked at the salesmen instead he used to just look at him and then at us, repeatedly back and forth, to try and understand what was all the talk about and then in a flash he would run out of the open gate for an unleashed loaf in the neighborhood.

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Cloud Hosting Provider HostVirtual Upgrades Chicago Data Center Web Hosting News 2014-04-14 11:53:53
CoreSite Realty to Acquire and Expand New Jersey Data Center Web Hosting News 2013-01-18 10:55:01