Cloudlinux Limits - What's reasonable on a shared server?

Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to work out a reasonable level for my cloudlinux customers, what restrictions to put in place and why? I'm not running a old server, we have a mix of ssd/sas and sata drives in teired storage, but at 5 - 20 GBP a months i don't want to give away the whole server.

What levels are everyone here providing and why?

Thanks
    Nathan Platt
    Solidblueliquid LTD
    https://solblu.uk
    Shared Hosting/Reseller Hosting/VPS, North East UK Based

Whenever I setup a CloudLinux server, the general consensus is to give everyone access to 2 CPUs and 1GB of physical memory.

Remember, you're giving them access to these resources, not dedicating these resources to them.

This number just makes sense to me since it's highly unlikely that you're ever going to hit 12 abusive users at the same precise moment on a 24 core CPU.

Every server is different, what specs are you running?
    GlowHost → Affordable Managed Web Hosting Since 2002.
    ۪Cloud Servers- Hot Failover + Clustered Storage
    ¬Managed Dedicated Servers - Semi-Dedicated Servers
    ۪Shared & Reseller packages - 20 Min Ticket Response - 24/7/365 Phone & Live Chat

This is a 16core, with 32gb ram. What do you recommend about i/o and iops etc

For IO, most customers should be fine with 1MB/s, but keep in mind that if you permit video software scripts (FFMPEG) or your customers make backups themselves, this will be very noticeable.

For IOPS, 1024 is fine. You don't want to limit this too much, otherwise even very light weight processes that write kilobytes of data could seem very sluggish.

Some numbers I see very common in the industry (matching your server) are,

Speed: 200% CPU (2 CPU cores)
    VMEM: 1GB or PMEM: 1GB (try to stick with one)
    IO: 1MB/s~10MB/s
    IOPS: 1024~10240 (subjective, go with what works and what you plan on your customers running)
    EP: 20~100
    NPROC: 100~500
    INODES are subjective and it's probably best to just go with disk space, unless you expect some customers to upload a million 1KB files.

Also, strongly consider MySQL Governor. It's essential if you think some of your users may be running database intensive applications.
    GlowHost → Affordable Managed Web Hosting Since 2002.
    ۪Cloud Servers- Hot Failover + Clustered Storage
    ¬Managed Dedicated Servers - Semi-Dedicated Servers
    ۪Shared & Reseller packages - 20 Min Ticket Response - 24/7/365 Phone & Live Chat

Thanks Larry, I was already using the MySQL Governor, i have a copy of customer who tried to hammer SQL! This was really useful.
    Nathan Platt
    Solidblueliquid LTD

With CloudLinux it's always best to play conservative, you can always increase the limits if you see a number of accounts hitting one limit or another. The worst thing you can do is play spec wars with your offers and open too many resources to a single client. You see this a lot with hosts offering excessive IO/IOPS, even with SSDs, going too high here can put general performance at risk in certain situations and is counterintuitive to how CL was designed to function. @Larry provided a solid guideline that should work well for most customers IMHO.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

It's been a while since I worked with CloudLinux, so you might want to take this with a grain of salt.

The trouble with setting CloudLinux limits too low, is that you reach a point to where it detracts from the server performance instead of helping server performance.

And what I found, you had to set the limits high enough such that it encompassed practically all of the accounts on the server. The idea of setting low limits to really cheap accounts and higher limits to higher priced accounts became a myth. Limits had to be imposed at a level such that the cheaper priced accounts never had any reason to upgrade to a higher limit. To me this defeated the purpose of CloudLinux.

I looked into utilizing cgroup templates for a bit, but seemed to have trouble with random freeze ups. Besides CentOS 7 seems to be moving away from cgroups and into user.slices.

Quote Originally Posted by plattnat View Post
    Hi Everyone,

I've been trying to work out a reasonable level for my cloudlinux customers, what restrictions to put in place and why? I'm not running a old server, we have a mix of ssd/sas and sata drives in teired storage, but at 5 - 20 GBP a months i don't want to give away the whole server.

What levels are everyone here providing and why?

Thanks
    Depends how much you want to give.

An example of decent would be:

1 CPU Core
    1024MB Memory
    25 Entry processes
    50 Processes
    5MB/s I/O
    1024 IOPS

Never provide above 1 CPU core unless these are business accounts and not cheap £1-£5 accounts. When they're paying decent business prices then you can up the cpu/memory (double etc) for higher spec plans.
    Last edited by Dyrus; 05-22-2018 at 02:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SPaReK View Post
    And what I found, you had to set the limits high enough such that it encompassed practically all of the accounts on the server. The idea of setting low limits to really cheap accounts and higher limits to higher priced accounts became a myth. Limits had to be imposed at a level such that the cheaper priced accounts never had any reason to upgrade to a higher limit. To me this defeated the purpose of CloudLinux.
    For CPU this is the case yes - the lower % CPU you set the more overhead is needed to keep said users restricted. But if this is on a 32+ Core system you'd never notice the overhead. It's more noticeable on smaller CPU systems like E3's etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Dyrus View Post
    For CPU this is the case yes - the lower % CPU you set the more overhead is needed to keep said users restricted. But if this is on a 32+ Core system you'd never notice the overhead. It's more noticeable on smaller CPU systems like E3's etc.
    That may have been my case. It's been at least a couple of years since I played around with this.

I wonder if that is also what caused my issues with cgroup templates. Been a little while since I played around with that too. Cgroup templates, at least on the surface, appeared to offer the same limits setup as CloudLinux without the extra licensing fee, that's why I started looking at it.

You need to monitor current usage for few hundred users and tweak as necessary. Obviously, there should be a hard limit at some point. You should leave room to allow for upgrades.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Sorry to bring this thread back to life, what should you set the VMEM too? The server has 16GB DDR4 ram
    Nathan Platt
    Solidblueliquid LTD

Quote Originally Posted by plattnat View Post
    Sorry to bring this thread back to life, what should you set the VMEM too? The server has 16GB DDR4 ram
    https://docs.cloudlinux.com/index.ht...ry_limits.html

Quote Originally Posted by CloudLinux
    Note. It is recommended to disable VMEM limits (set them to 0) in your system at all because they are deprecated in CloudLinux 6 and 7 system and can cause unexpected issues.

Perfect, thank you HostingMike
    Nathan Platt
    Solidblueliquid LTD