$200 budget HOME WEB server - Intel Pentium.Gold or AMD Ryzen 3?

I need to set up a budget build and I am looking at a few different setups.

At the $90 level for the CPU these are the two best available.

I don't know which would be better for a web server run from home.

Please share your thoughts and opinions!

What are you planning to do with this web server? I hope this is not for hosting business?

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

I want to host a blog that may get 10-20 visitors a day. Probably 100 Chinese attacks a day too but that's it right now.

CPU doesn't really matter for your use case. You're not building a server that's going to host hundreds or even thousands of customers. You're simply doing a single blog with 10-20 visitors a day, so even an Atom would do. Heck a Raspberry Pi would do!

BUT please don't do what you're planning - using your home ISP's network for web hosting is a very bad idea. Just buy a shared hosting plan, your $200 budget would get you about 3 years or more of hosting even if you paid month-to-month.
    IOFort - Reliable SSD Web Hosting
    USA & NL | Ultra Fast Hosting for WordPress! | 10Gb/s Anti-DDoS | 100% Uptime | cPanel | CloudLinux | LiteSpeed | Automated Backups
    We offer a no-questions-asked 30-day money back guarantee!

Raspberry Pi has already been tested and it didn't work at all. Very very slow compared to my home computer. I'm looking for something that's just fast enough to serve up from solid-state the way it should.

I have more than one hosting package and I run over 20 websites I was just more trying to figure out about a Home Server.

The pi can host small hobby WP sites with no issues, it just depends on your setup. Maybe you had a slow storage device? SD card perhaps? That could have been why it was slow. Anyway hosting publicly-accessible web servers from home is never a good idea and is probably against your ISP's terms of service as well.
    USA & NL | Ultra Fast Hosting for WordPress! | 10Gb/s Anti-DDoS | 100% Uptime | cPanel | CloudLinux | LiteSpeed | Automated Backups

Thanks so much and I'm very much aware of the rules of my ISP.

The question simply is that I'm trying to decide between a few different processors. I don't need any help with the actual hosting.

Thank you for sharing though.

Again, if it's solely for hosting a blog with 10-20 visitors a day, it wouldn't matter whether you go for the Pentium or the Ryzen 3. Let's say, G4620 vs Ryzen 3 2200G since you didn't mention exact CPU models.. Your web server won't even use that much resources for either cpu to be a bottleneck.

I personally would go for the pentium simply because it consumes less power and the single core performance is great. The pentium has come a long way and these newer pentiums are really really good for the price. But if you want to oc and if you want more physical cores then go for ryzen.

Edit: on another note if your budget is $200 it doesn't matter which of the 2 cpus you go with -- you won't have enough money for all the other parts unless you have spare components lying around. RAM is so expensive these days, mobos for the cpus you mentioned start at what, $40? Then you still need to get a good psu that's not gonna randomly explode due to poor quality internals.
    Last edited by IOFort_J; 05-21-2018 at 09:57 PM.

That's what I was hoping for but I wasn't sure because I used a Pentium dual-core from 2012, and it absolutely didn't work but then when we dropped in the i3, it was just enough to manage the traffic and the plugins for WordPress and all that.

I figured pretty much any CPU newer than 2016 and better than Celeron would probably be good.

Thank you by the way

Yeah. Starting with the g4560, the newer pentiums are like i3s but cheaper. 2c/4t, no reason to get an i3-7100 for example if you can get the g4560 for half the price of a 7100. It's 0.40GHz difference in clock speed which is negligible for your use case.

Quote Originally Posted by SidedTech View Post
    Raspberry Pi has already been tested and it didn't work at all. Very very slow compared to my home computer. I'm looking for something that's just fast enough to serve up from solid-state the way it should.

I have more than one hosting package and I run over 20 websites I was just more trying to figure out about a Home Server.
    The speed won't be the Rasp PI, it'll be your upload speed. You need a bigger upload to speed things up. When visitors connect to your website, it's the upload of your own server doing all the work.

Quote Originally Posted by SidedTech View Post
    I want to host a blog that may get 10-20 visitors a day. Probably 100 Chinese attacks a day too but that's it right now.
    Between what you listed...the same thing could be done with an old laptop running Ubuntu.

For one blog with a few visitors, there's not a need for power. With the right settings, a home server could do the job, but you have to factor outages and line speed. Even with a solid setup, and backup power for the modem since the laptop already has a built in "backup power supply", if there's any power issues in the area, your connect would be lost.

As mentioned above, a low cost shared account would be the best option, or even an unmanaged VPS account if you have the knowledge of setting it up...and both would get about 3 years from your investment.

Most ISPs forbid hosting from residential line, so this is a dumb move. They will eventually see this, and ISP NOC techs do look for this sort of activity.

Get a shared hosting account somewhere.

For an internal home LAN, you want something that runs cool and quiet.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Most ISPs forbid hosting from residential line, so this is a dumb move. They will eventually see this, and ISP NOC techs do look for this sort of activity.

Funny...a few on here mentioned this, and I recalled this as well from most ISP's, and then I looked it up...one of the major ISP's (that you can count on one hand, and owns everything) actually states on their website that you can run a home server with a public/business website, or have it public accessible for backup or access purposes. Who knew...and this was stated 4 years ago.

Another forum mentioned people who use the same ISP would set up websites accessing their home cameras, so it's really not any different...and one person talked about using a P2 for their websites, but secured it enough to protect from bots and aggressive indexing...but they also said to be very careful doing it if the skills to protect it are not there.

Quote Originally Posted by WPCYCLE View Post
    Funny...a few on here mentioned this, and I recalled this as well from most ISP's, and then I looked it up...one of the major ISP's (that you can count on one hand, and owns everything) actually states on their website that you can run a home server with a public/business website, or have it public accessible for backup or access purposes. Who knew...and this was stated 4 years ago.

Another forum mentioned people who use the same ISP would set up websites accessing their home cameras, so it's really not any different...and one person talked about using a P2 for their websites, but secured it enough to protect from bots and aggressive indexing...but they also said to be very careful doing it if the skills to protect it are not there.
    You've got to wonder what happens when the first DDoS hits. My guess is they won't be too flexible.
    WHMEasyBackup.com - Take Control Of Your Backups!
    Complete Backup Solution For WHM Reseller Accounts

It's gotten to where most residential lines now force IP updates every 12-24 hours, to thwart this very thing.
    That and other reasons.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by DWS2006 View Post
    You've got to wonder what happens when the first DDoS hits. My guess is they won't be too flexible.
    True. I would think this would be more of an issue for a small ISP. This is nationwide with twenty times more employees that EIG, and enough capital to buy a cuple EIG's if they ever chose to. I would only guess at their level, they could easily detect and kill any form of attacks.