VPS Backup options and how it works ?

HI Guys

Im a VPS novice

I have few questions regarding VPS back up (daily weekly monthly basis) how to back up your VPS without having to store the backups on your server space ?

How does it happen normally with web hosting providers ?

If im on a managed VPS plan does my web host back up the server on behalf of me or i have to do it on my own ?

Looking fwd for your answers.
    Peace

Hello,

You should arrange the options for backup. No hosting company will provide the backup free with the management, some of them have seperate backup plans ( you should purchase it ).

If you are doing backup your own backup. Either buy some ftp space or block storages like S3buckets and configure your backups to the space. If you have more VPS, then create a backup server and configure all backups to that server.

Your host will configure the backups under management, if you are giving the storage space based on their management policy. For setting your own backup server you may need to pay additional amount, since their plans are not included these type of works. Or you should contact a backup expert to configure the same for you.
    Suhesh KS - Founder & CEO @ Nixtree
    24/7 Support | cPanel Server Management | Cloud Server Management | Cloud consultant
    Outsourced Web hosting Support | Managed Backup Solutions | IT Solutions
    ntMalware - Real Time Backend Scan Engine

Quote Originally Posted by iemerchant View Post
    If im on a managed VPS plan does my web host back up the server on behalf of me or i have to do it on my own ?
    You need to ask your provider on this but mostly, it is not included.

It is recommended that you put a backup in placed now. ASAP.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Take care of your data by yourself.
    Better not not have your backup and hosted solution from the same provider. I'd recommend to invest in patience and have a few more dollars spent in order to have backup with backup service provider or at least it should be stored on your local computer.
    --> http://www.webhostingzone.org/
    --> Secure and Reliable Web Hosting Services - cPanel / CloudLinux / Softaculous - Atlanta Data Center
    --> VPS Hosting, Linux Support, SSL certificates and more!

Best option is to backup your data by your self. If you are not experienced just buy a cpanel with your VPS and you will be able to backup everything with just a few clicks.

If you want I have a small script that I can give it to you which will create a backup on a remote server for you with 7 days history (or 1 month, or how long you want). I can not put it public because it is mainly for my own purposes but with a small modifications you can make it work for your needs.
    LVPSHosting.com|Virtual Private Servers|Dedicated Servers|
    Managed Hosting Solution|24/7/365 Support
    Datacentar and servers location: Holland, Europe

You will definitely need a backup some day, because all hardware fails eventually, companies go out of business, hack attempts are constant and - the biggest risk of all - people accidentally delete things. So the first backup doesn't really count, you need at least two. And they need to be off-site and automated otherwise they won't be recoverable and recent enough.

The cheapest solution for the first one (no monthly fees) is probably a NAS device at your home, as long as you have a good broadband internet connection - Synology make good ones. Restoring takes a while due to limited upstream bandwidth.

For the second one you could use Amazon Glacier or Google Nearline.

Local backups by your VPS host can be very useful if you break something and just want to restore everything quickly, or if you're migrating to a new VPS. But they're not really suitable as a permanent backup or archive.
    Phil McKerracher
    I do server maintenance and troubleshooting

Quote Originally Posted by suhesh View Post
    Hello,

You should arrange the options for backup. No hosting company will provide the backup free with the management, some of them have seperate backup plans ( you should purchase it ).
    Actually the host i got the VPS from has an "On Demand" Backup option (free) so when i asked abt the backups, they set it up for me, and i specifically told them not to add the backup to my server it self, and then they gave me an FTP option. So currently backups are stored on a ftp://.1.111.11.11 (example) location and on an IP not associated with my VPS account. What does this mean to be exact ? Is it a good option or a bad option?

Quote Originally Posted by LVPSHosting View Post
    Best option is to backup your data by your self. If you are not experienced just buy a cpanel with your VPS and you will be able to backup everything with just a few clicks. .
    I do have WHM/cpanel installed on my VPS but this particular VPS has my client's cpanel accounts as well. So in such a situation, is it possible to take all of the cpanel accounts backed up using the root WHM/cpanel ? And if it is possible would the back up will be all in one kinda thing or each and every cpanel account will be backed up as a separate entity ?
    Last edited by iemerchant; 05-11-2018 at 01:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LVPSHosting View Post
    Best option is to backup your data by your self. If you are not experienced just buy a cpanel with your VPS and you will be able to backup everything with just a few clicks. .
    I do have WHM/cpanel installed on my VPS but this particular VPS has my client's cpanel accounts as well. So in such a situation, is it possible to take all of the cpanel accounts backed up using the root WHM/cpanel ? And if it is possible would the back up will be all in one kinda thing or each and every cpanel account will be backed up as a separate entity ?

Admin pls delete this reply post as it's a duplicate post which i accidentally posted. :/
    Last edited by iemerchant; 05-11-2018 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil McKerracher View Post
    You will definitely need a backup some day, because all hardware fails eventually, companies go out of business, hack attempts are constant and - the biggest risk of all - people accidentally delete things. So the first backup doesn't really count, you need at least two. And they need to be off-site and automated otherwise they won't be recoverable and recent enough.
    100% Agree with you

Quote Originally Posted by Phil McKerracher View Post
    Local backups by your VPS host can be very useful if you break something and just want to restore everything quickly, or if you're migrating to a new VPS. But they're not really suitable as a permanent backup or archive.
    The FTP backup option which my host gave me, what's your opinion on this ?

Quote Originally Posted by iemerchant View Post
    The FTP backup option which my host gave me, what's your opinion on this ?
    I'm not a big fan of FTP because it's slow, unreliable, insecure and doesn't preserve timestamps and file ownership well. Especially if you're backing up a Linux machine to Windows it will frequently fail because of problems with filenames that are too long or contain unusual characters. A simple FTP backup of files won't contain your database contents or email users.

Also you don't say what the destination of the FTP backup is. If it's separate storage from the same hosting provider then you won't be able to access the backups if the host vanishes (it has happened to me!) or there's a power failure or network problem.

Having said all that, it's a lot better than nothing. If the FTP backup includes database contents and is zipped up then filenames shouldn't be a problem and it should restore quite well to a new host with the same control panel. You can sometimes choose FTP over TLS or SFTP to improve security.

If you can get SSH access then backups are a lot easier and more reliable - you can use SCP or rsync, for example.
    Phil McKerracher
    I do server maintenance and troubleshooting

Yes, it is possible. Yes, every account will be backed up separately.
    LVPSHosting.com|Virtual Private Servers|Dedicated Servers|
    Managed Hosting Solution|24/7/365 Support
    Datacentar and servers location: Holland, Europe