MattFreeman Guest

Arrow

What do you think -
    VBulletin : better or worse than UBB?

[Edited by MattFreeman on 08-28-2000 at 04:35 PM]

Thumbs up

I like it better. You can see how many times a thread has been viewed, so see who made the last post from the main menu, and get e-mail notifications from a reply.
    ODE
    Optimum Digital Enterprises sm
    http://odenet.net

Cool It's better

Several new features are available now.

However, I would like to mention that the text in my previous post was partially deleted !!!

I have emailed admin@webhostlink.com a few minutes before explaining the full problem and hope it is sorted out.

Oh... may just be temporary teething problems !!!

Learner

Talking I like it!:)

Originally posted by ODE
    I like it better. You can see how many times a thread has been viewed, so see who made the last post from the main menu, and get e-mail notifications from a reply.
    I like it its easier to read to

Another good feature is that we can do a lookup on all the other members alphabetically + see their bio simultaneously.

Also, while replying, one can see the previous message at the top of the list below the reply input box.

I notice that this new VBulletin also loads in my browser so much faster !!!

Learner

Cool

Didn't notice this one before...

but this is helpful !!!

This new forum also indicates a list of all currently active members in the forum when one logs in !!! You can see this at the very bottom of the home page when you enter the forum.

Learner

Cool I think I like it...

It really shook my world when my previous bookmark brought up a 404 error, because I KNEW this forum was still alive somewhere! Alas, I found it again!

The first thing I notice about this vs. the old UBB, is the speed. This one is orders of magnitude faster. ...And, I'm thankful for that!

Cheers,
    tk

Whoops! There goes another $.02!

Thumbs up

Waaaaaaaaaaaaay better, since I love VBulletin

cool

its better than the old ubb by far.

Matt,

I think it was a good move. It's close enough in appearance to UBB that no one should be unsettled over a change, and it improves on UBB in many ways, speed, features, etc. Good choice.

I say this only as a casual observation, not as any sort of critique, but the thumbs up icon is not anatomically correect from the same perspective as the thumbs done one. In other words, looking at someone giving a thumbs down, we would see their palm and finger tips. Seeing the thumbs up, we would see the back of their hand, not the palm. Also, the thumbs down is reversed for a right handed person.

Not a big deal, I just thought you might like to know.

(We had a similar inconsistency in my dive club with hand signals used for underwater communication until I corrected them a few years ago, which is probably why I noticed).

YEAH !!!!!

cuz these hands do look BOAR-ING !!!! not as interesting as the hands in the old UBB !!!!

but then ever hear of the pig with wings which flew... maybe thats why vBulletin posts just fly into my browzer at tremendous speed... not like that slow BOAR-ing old UBB forum !!!

so could i say...

that vBulletin is "old WINE, but stored in a new bottle"...

and that UBB was "a SWINE who couldn't fly, because it had no throttle" ????!!!!!

Learner

Thumbs up

I like vBulletin as well - I use it on my site (I was using Ultraboard before though).

vBulletin uses MySQL instead of flatfiles, so it is a lot faster there -> Plus the code is layed out very well - so it runs better then the UBB (in my opinion).

Maybe now that the UBB has some decent competition they will work more on the UBB rather then Open Topic!
    Cheers,
    Michael Bray

Originally posted by Michael_Bray
    vBulletin uses MySQL instead of flatfiles...
    I know what MySQL is, but could someone please explain in brief what "flatfiles" are exactly ?

Learner

Exclamation

Flatfiles are otherwise known as flat database text files (.dbm extensions) which are a simple way of storing data in a database if you don't have access to a proper DB like MySQL, Access, etc. etc.

If you should want to use them, here are links to other thumbs up and down icons. I edited the thumbs up to be correct (showing the back of the hand), the other should be flipped horizontally to also represent a right handed signal.

http://techcellence.net/images/agree.gif
    http://techcellence.net/images/disagree.gif

[Edited by Duster on 08-29-2000 at 03:43 PM]

Wink

Originally posted by ODE
    Originally posted by Learner
    This new forum also indicates a list of all currently active members in the forum when one logs in !!! You can see this at the very bottom of the home page when you enter the forum.

Learner
    As far as I can tell, they are basically the same. Obviously, one was ripped off the other. I haven't been around boards long enough to know which ripped off the other, but the things described above are both possible and very easy to do with the UBB, just not included in the official source (you have to apply a few community-made patches).
    I think the points made about speed are definitely accurate. However, for servers that don't support PHP or MySQL (read: HiSpeed.com), a UBB is the automatic choice.

I have never setup VBulletin ever, but UBB yes! UBB simply sucks! It creates HTML documents of each post created and saves it on the server.

Also if you make some header or footer or other code changes to it, it does not reflect on the old posts!! Which is weird!!

Another thing is that UBB is a processor HOG!!

there are a lot more problems, which I dun wanna list, coz me is feeling lazy
    The Php Support Desk
    http://www.phpsupportdesk.com
    Custom programming - kunal @ e-phoria.com
    http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

Cool

I swear I don't work for InfoPop (the makers of the UBB), but I do have to correct a glaring error in the previous post. If you make changes to the layout of a page, or the header/footer contents, it is true it is not reflected right away. You have to update threads (using a link from the Control Panel) or wait for a new reply to be posted on that subject for it to take effect.
    While I'm not too familiar with vBulletin, I gather the reason it may auto-update on here is based on the how the info is stored.

I currently made the switch from ubb to Vbulletin and it has been nothing but good things. The serverload is alot less and the board works alot faster. Also alot of the hacks that are avaible on the UBB are now a standered feature on VBulletin.

I also here that VBulletin maybe working on a SQL version.

I have also been visting this forum the past couple of months and it is a very nice place. Very imformative and very helpful.

Thanks Webhostlink Staff! .

I set up a test vBulletin, and can tell you two things. One, that the one I installed does need mySQL and php, but that is pretty common, and even though I didn't have it on my server, it was installed.

Two, is that even a drunk monkey could set it up, and I am not kidding. Modify a couple lines in one file, upload, clicky, clicky, clicky, and the whole thing sets itself up, and you are ready to go.

If you are trying to set up UBB and are either fustrated, or confused, I suggest you get vBulletin.

bdlaircom the Updates do not take place after Updating threads
    The Php Support Desk
    http://www.phpsupportdesk.com
    Custom programming - kunal @ e-phoria.com
    http://www.pingzine.com - Ping!Zine. the FREE, FRESH and EXCITING Web Hosting Magazine...

I also here that VBulletin maybe working on a SQL version.
    vBulletin does use MySQL.
    Cheers,
    Michael Bray

I meen a MS SQL version.

Smile

I doubt they will do MS SQL, as php is far more popular on Linux than NT.