Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    You can either go for one of the shared hosting providers, which means you're relying on them having a nicely optimized platform, which seems more and more rare these days. Or you could go the IaaS route, given you just need a mail server you could get a couple of VMs, something like;
    1. 1CPU, 2GB RAM, 50GB SSD - Linux OS, install Zimbra for a good open-source email server
    2. 1CPU, 2GB RAM, 50GB SSD - Linux OS with LAMP stack on top, direct website hosting

You could even combine these two, but generally better to segregate services.

This would give you a lot more control over the performance of your services, if you're not confident with website development you can always install WordPress and take it from there. Obviously this route has more overheads and involves server maintenance, so swings and roundabouts.

Quote Originally Posted by Forkmachine View Post
    Hello,

I've been trying to dig through affiliate "reviews" and other paid "information" for setting up a website and email before I start up my small town small business (probably fairly low traffic). This is all new to me so I thought I would check with some real people for a bit of advice. Let me say up front that I am impressed by everyone here that they answer other's questions respectfully without the standard forum response of "use the search." I feel like this kind of thing is a little more specific and personal with varying details that searching for an exact result is tricky. Disclaimer: I have very little idea what I am doing, so thanks in advance for your patience.

I currently have a domain reservation paid up at GoDaddy for the next 10 years.

My objectives are this:

Very reliable email system
    Reliable website for simple information and contact details for my business (fairly static site)
    Availability of tools for website development for someone completely new to website development/web hosting/email hosting (though a tech savvy person) (Wordpress?)

Just like anyone else, I'd like to get what I need while keeping things inexpensive and am willing to perform some research and what I would call "assisted DIY," but I understand some things cost more for a reason. I would prefer to start out less (or much less) than $75 per year all-in (and obviously get the best for that money), if possible.

I've looked at shared hosting for Siteground, Stablehost, and InMotion. I'm having a bit of difficulty sussing out benefits of each because I don't really know what I need. The Stablehost pricing is the best because of offers from here, but I don't know if they have the features I should be looking for. I also don't know if I should look at a separate email host instead of trying to use the ones provided with these services.

Any advice/guidance/recommendations are appreciated. Thank you!
    Hi

As you said you will be having a relatively static website so you can start with any of the host you mentioned, if you find pricing of stablehost promising you can go with them.

For the web application you should go with wordpress as it free, robust and has lot of resources and tutorials available for it.

For email, you can start with the email by setting up one for you in cpanel, its fairly simple yet efficient.

The Three Four Laws Of Using Wordpress
    Obey them or you are history:

1 Keep Wordpress Up To Date!
    2 Keep All Themes+Plugins Up To Date!
    3 Keep Frequent Backups off site!
    4 GOTO 1
    "I've seen spam you people wouldn't believe. Routers on fire off the OCs of AGIS. I watched MXes burning in the dark near the Cyberpromo Gateway. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. TTL=0."

Quote Originally Posted by SneakySysadmin View Post
    The Three Four Laws Of Using Wordpress
    Obey them or you are history:

1 Keep Wordpress Up To Date!
    2 Keep All Themes+Plugins Up To Date!
    3 Keep Frequent Backups off site!
    4 GOTO 1
    HAHAHAHAHA There's a few steps missing including one very important step;

5. Keeping WordPress up to date is not a form of security

Quote Originally Posted by WPCYCLE View Post
    HAHAHAHAHA There's a few steps missing including one very important step;

5. Keeping WordPress up to date is not a form of security
    Zero day hacks are why you keep good backups.

Avoiding avoidable hacks so you don't need backups are why you stay up to date.

... because letting Wordpress get out-of-date is a form of stupid.
    "I've seen spam you people wouldn't believe. Routers on fire off the OCs of AGIS. I watched MXes burning in the dark near the Cyberpromo Gateway. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. TTL=0."

Quote Originally Posted by stablehost View Post
    We run Litespeed
    Hey I am sort of in the same boat.

Although, I have been building wordpress websites since 2012
    I have just always used the commercial web hostings such as godaddy and host gator.

I was looking to see professionals and gurus could advise me an alternative.

I usually buy the GoDaddy Shared Hosting Plan and go with the biggest package.

What would be a good alternative guys ?

I was recommended Stable Host when I inquired a year ago and then I got really busy with other things.

Is Stable Host still the best alternative to try out ?

Is there any Discount on Stable Host ?

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by A2 - Alex View Post
    Hi Stoppingfear,

I am happy to see you are satisfied with the performance we provide though was disappointed to hear that you are not happy with the support. I just wanted to make it clear that none of our support is outsourced so every person you interact with at A2 is an in-house employee.

That being said, we do take feedback seriously and are always looking for areas we can improve so if you don't mind, I would love to connect with you and see why you felt our support was outsourced and if you have any issues still present I will make sure to have our leads look into that for you promptly. So I can do so, can you please provide me with a ticket ID or PM me with your client area email address and/or primary domain name?
    A2 Hosting seems like something I can also try.

Do you guys have any discounts ?
    Also its nice to get a domain with the hosting that way I do not have to buy the domain at namecheap or somewhere else and connect it and it is nice to have both domain and hosting at once place which I usually do with go daddy because you get a free domain when you buy hosting.

But I would not say it is too much of an hassle to have hosting and domain at separate companies.
    It helps because I develop too many websites and I keep them all on different hosts and less passwords to remember

Quote Originally Posted by HostSeekr View Post
    Is there any Discount on Stable Host ?
    Quote Originally Posted by HostSeekr View Post
    A2 Hosting seems like something I can also try.

Do you guys have any discounts ?
    Please contact the hosts through their website to ask directly.

Quote Originally Posted by anon-e-mouse View Post
    Please contact the hosts through their website to ask directly.
    Okay thanks for the advice.

I was just looking the websites and for StableHost there is only email support ?

I am thinking if there is a situation where my website is down and then I will not even be able to live chat.
    I can't imagine just writing an email to someone if a high traffic site of mine goes down.

My sites are usually high traffic but I use shared hosting because I mostly just use Text and rarely any videos and very few photos (about 100 -150) small photos.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12