Help to get away from my web supplier...!

So despite clicking not to auto renew with my hosting company fat cow after a steep overcharge they have switched off the do not auto renew election and overcharged me considerably again for a new term. I have two sites hosted with them the important one of the two unfortunately the web address as well is registered with them, the other site the web address is with GoDaddy. On investigating I can’t get any kind of refund from fatcow as I only realised later than 30 days this had happened as i wasn’t expecting it to auto renew, I will take this up with my bank as to whether they can reverse the payment.

Anyway it looks like fatcow could make this difficult for me and still charge me anyway as they have my card details, I have seen from investigating online this happens and advice is to cancel the card but this is a big step to take as its a company card.

So with fatcow I have

Main company ww.address
    emails for above
    Site files for above

Second company - site files
    emails for above

I now want to dump fatcow, my priority is that the emails work consistently with another supplier and then move the site files and site address for company 1 away to new suppliers. I have no idea how to go about this effectively so if anyone can help me I would really appreciate it. I have seen advice to have the web addresses/emails with one supplier and host the sites with another so I can easily switch hosting on its own if I get into this situation again is this the best thing to do?... my main concern is the emails...*I have no idea how to switch these addresses to somewhere new....anyway any help appreciated !

Sam

You need to ask your new hosting provider about migration of files but I would start doing the backup now to avoid issues later on.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

You can create full backup of your hosting account on cPanel. Then download it and upload to your new web space. Then contact your new Hosting provider and ask restore of this backup file. Then you will change name servers of your Domain on your registrar. So migration will be completed. Good luck.
    domainCart - PHP / AJAX Domain and Hosting Order Script | WHMCS Alternative
    Supports 700+ domain extensions, 27+ payment gateways, multi-currency with auto exchange..
    www.domaincart.net | Demo (all in one - without template)

Make sure you have backed up everything first. If you get your new host to restore the backup onto new service it would be quicker. Some hosts provide migration services, where they can help you do that.

In regards to keeping email separate you can do that, and it's also a nice method to make sure you can still get email even of your site goes down. There are plenty of premium mail servers out there. Popular ones are Google gsuite which needs subscription. Alternatively could try Zoho mail, who have a free option too.

Once you've done that, transfer over the domain to a new registrar (could use godaddy as your using them already).

I would suggest you to find a new host who provides free migration and let them know your issue. They will provide you a good solution. Almost every host today provides free migration services. Make sure you let them know your conditions before you pay.

Sounds like you were hit with a redemption fee for the renewal of the domain. Redemptions fees happen when the domain expires and is past the grace period for that domain's TLD (.com, .com, etc). The usual renewal fee is also charged. It is unfortunate the auto renewal was disabled without your knowledge. A tip to hosts, in your billing system's email templates put in the auto renewal status in the renewal notices email. That of course presumes receiving those notices.

To prevent this in the future with any registrar, make sure you're getting renewal notices from your registrar to the email address they have on file for the domain and their billing system. you should get those starting at, IIRC, 90 days before expiration. Then watch for the confirmation of auto renewal happening. If you do not receive a notice of auto renewal a week before expiration, then check their systems. And if you do not receive the 30 day notice of upcoming renewal, again check their system. You do not need to remember the exact renewal date, just the month. Auto renewal is great, but isn't 100% perfect as factors such as billing issues can happen to prevent it, which is why it is important to make sure you're getting notices from the provider.

For migration, you can have the new host do it if they offer it -- just read any reviews on their migrations as I have seen reports here of problems. They will do an everything migration to their systems. If you wanted to separate mail to another provider, check with them if they will do the email only migration. Then changing nameservers and/or DNS records to point to the new hosts servers.
    -Steven | Cooini, LLC
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" -Aristotle

Quote Originally Posted by ajaynair82 View Post
    I would suggest you to find a new host who provides free migration and let them know your issue. They will provide you a good solution. Almost every host today provides free migration services. Make sure you let them know your conditions before you pay.
    Solid advice. Always make sure you have everything nicely backed-up, and definitely, look for free migration.
    Good luck, and do let us know how it went!
    █ CanSpace Solutions - www.canspace.ca - Canada's leading domain registrar and web hosting provider
    Premium Canadian Web Hosting and .ca domains. Trusted by Canada's largest corporations
    Affordable Web Hosting | 24/7 Support | CIRA CERTIFIED | Proudly Canadian

Many thanks people really appreciate this !

Just one more thing... at what point should I transfer the domain name for my website from fatcow. So to recap I have two website addresses the other one with go daddy. So I will switch the FC address across to go daddy so they are both with one supplier then set up emails for both and web files via host papa.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdesign View Post
    Just one more thing... at what point should I transfer the domain name for my website from fatcow. So to recap I have two website addresses the other one with go daddy. So I will switch the FC address across to go daddy so they are both with one supplier then set up emails for both and web files via host papa.
    You can probably do that after you find a new host, and they help you migrate your files/accounts over. I don't think transferring the domain names right away is a pressing matter. And deferring it to after you find a new host will avoid any possibility of causing an outage or confusion while your new hosts sets you up.

Quote Originally Posted by sjdesign View Post
    The order doesn't really make a difference in this instance, what are you waiting for?
    Last edited by stoppingfear; 01-26-2018 at 06:02 AM.

If you are trying to move away from a cPanel provider, the process should be straight forward. Many hosts will transfer the accounts over for you.

There are two tools in WHM that let you achieve this - Transfer Tool (only really works for root transfers) or the 'Copy an account with a password' tool.

In most cases, your new host will be able to offer migration assistance whereby they will use the above tools to get things moved for you. Once done, its just a case of updating the nameservers over and your good to go!

It's redemption - nothing good :/