Is it safe to rely on EC2 instances?

Hey Guys,

Happy new year to you all! First post of 2018 for me

Just a quick one. I remember reading before that it was bad to rely on EC2 instances as being stable, mainly because Amazon can shut them down from time to time. For this reason EC2 instances should be considered just compute resources and you shouldn't be building servers on them that aren't easily re-creatable.

Is that mainly due to the types of storage being used? I am worried now as I need to build a web server for hosting general demos and R&D. I don't have container knowledge right now.

I am using EBS right now and will keep a backup of the EC2 instance configuration. If AWS close the instance for some reason I can just create a new and mount my EBS volume. That said, it will have a little downtime.

Is this a valid concern and have I the right solution?

Would I be better going with a conventional VPS host?

Thanks very much.

Quote Originally Posted by makko1987 View Post
    Hey Guys,

Happy new year to you all! First post of 2018 for me

Just a quick one. I remember reading before that it was bad to rely on EC2 instances as being stable, mainly because Amazon can shut them down from time to time. For this reason EC2 instances should be considered just compute resources and you shouldn't be building servers on them that aren't easily re-creatable.

Is that mainly due to the types of storage being used? I am worried now as I need to build a web server for hosting general demos and R&D. I don't have container knowledge right now.

I am using EBS right now and will keep a backup of the EC2 instance configuration. If AWS close the instance for some reason I can just create a new and mount my EBS volume. That said, it will have a little downtime.

Is this a valid concern and have I the right solution?

Would I be better going with a conventional VPS host?

Thanks very much.
    From my own personal experience AWS EC2 instances are extremely reliable, way over some other cloud providers.

You may have read about their Spot Instances (https://aws.amazon.com/ec2/spot/), which indeed can be powered off at any given time, based on your hourly bid and their demand. If you use the regular instances, then AWS should have no reason to randomly power it off, let alone delete it.

But just like with any other provider you should still have your own backups, don't rely 100% on the fact that said provider will not lose your data.
    Uptime Monitor - Minimize your downtime by being the first to know about it!

Blacklist Monitor - Are any of your IPs or Domains blacklisted? Find out before it gets to affect you or your clients.