Thread: Downgrade IE 6

Downgrade IE 6

Hi there:

It is me. Laurion, the teacher, and I am stuck again.

I am having terrible issues with IE 6 and Win98. I need to downgrade to IE 5.

Can someone please help me?

My questions are:

Can I have both IE 6 and IE 5 at the same time? If so, do you just make a new file on the C drive or what?

Do you have to remove/uninstall IE 6 before you install IE 5?

Is there any way to keep all the favorites, in this process?

If you have to remove IE 6, where is it? It does not show up in add/remove programs in the control panel?

Thanks so much.

Laurion3

If when you installed it, you didn't set the save-backup option then I'm afraid short of reinstalling windows you can't

No you can't have both at once (annoyingly)

(not exactly a programming problem though)

I have IE6 on a Win98SE box here, works fine. What is it doing?
    "Obsolesence is just a lack of imagination."

NyteOwl: Hmmm... What's wrong with IE6? I'm using IE6.1 on XP and it's fine

No such thing as IE6.1 (do you mean SP1)

I'm not having problems with it, I wondered what problems Laurion3 was having

Downgrade IE 6

The problems are cookies and session objects.

What happens is that when I update things online, the first item updates, and then what you see is IE appears to be stuck on that update.

Subsequent changes to other things do take effect, but you can't see them in IE because the cookies and session objects conflict with Win98....so it appears as if they did not happen, when they really did. Or so I am told by the seller.

I have no clue here, and do not know what a session object is, but you asked.

Thanks so much for the replies.

Laurion3

<shrug> To be honest, what's more likely, is that you've installed something that has b*ggered up IE, replacing a DLL with an older one, for example. With most such problems, the cleanest solution would be simply to re-install Win98.

You'll only really get protection against this sort of thing by upgrading to Win2000 or WinXP.

I'm not sure what to offer for advice. I have 98SE on a machine here and it has ahad no problems with updates. You might try putting *.microsoft.com in the trusted zone for updates if you already haven't.

go to control panel.
    Uninstall programs.(or what ever they call in it 98)
    Click IE 6.
    Click repair.
    Be Happy!

Laurion3... try this. there should be a mshtml.dll in your Windows\system32 folder.

Get a copy from another Windows 98 computer, with the same edition as yours with IE6 that works perfectly fine for them. Copy a copy of the new mshtml.dll into your computer where you can access it, not overriding the existing one.

Reboot into safe mode. Rename the existing mshtml.dll to mshtml.bak or something (do NOT delete). Copy the new mshtm.dll into the subdirectory. Reboot and good luck. This should give you a clean set of server objects on your computer.

If it doesn't work, just boot back into safe mode again, delete the new mshtml.dll and rename mshtml.bak to mshtml.dll.

Be VERY careful doing that. Various services packs and critical patches to the core windows system have amended that file. You could break your entire operating system doing that.