Thread: Plz help newbie

Question Plz help newbie

Hello,

Im thinking of getting a dedicated server for my web hosting company form rackshack.net i have looked at all the servers but i was wondering when i buy a server do i get the cpanel with it or is it extra? if so how much? what are ALL the hidden fees? do i have a control panel to set-up my server? and add accounts? cani also set-up resellers accounts? please give me a breakdown on everthing that is involved, after i buy the server what other things do i have to purchase?, All your help with be helpful

Re: Plz help newbie

Originally posted by Tomboy1256
    Hello,

Im thinking of getting a dedicated server for my web hosting company form rackshack.net i have looked at all the servers but i was wondering when i buy a server do i get the cpanel with it or is it extra? if so how much? what are ALL the hidden fees? do i have a control panel to set-up my server? and add accounts? cani also set-up resellers accounts? please give me a breakdown on everthing that is involved, after i buy the server what other things do i have to purchase?, All your help with be helpful
    If you buy it from RackShack it is 9.99 a month more.

Is there any where else i can get it for cheaper and cheaper dedicated servers? oh i frogot how much are the other ones,Esism

How much more cheaper could you want? Anything lower than what rackshack offers would yield little to no profits.
    Devon Dunham (Owner, Sharpnet/DDoS Host)
    Advanced DDoS Mitigation and Server Management Solutions

Protecting your online infrastructure.

Est. 1998.

Also you are obviously in no position to run a dedicated server if you expect the control panel to do all the work for you.

Sure cpanel will manage client accounts but it wont manage the server or security for you.
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

and u only get 16 cpanel licenses too. that's why i didn't go with rackshack. I can't only have 16 customers per server.

Jack

Originally posted by Jackula
    and u only get 16 cpanel licenses too. that's why i didn't go with rackshack. I can't only have 16 customers per server.

Jack

WTF?

It's news to me if you only get 16 accounts per licence.

HAHA!

This is news to me First time I heard that there is a restricted license for Cpanel. I thought it was one of those which you can use it to host as many sites as you want provied that your system can handle it.

Well, to the original question, Rackshack would sell systems with the preconfigured control panel so what you see is what you pay + 8.25% sales tax. I guess the hidden cost here is that Rackshack is unmanaged and it would be better than you know more about managing a server and some linux command to get things done before you plunge into getting your own dedicated server. If not, go hire someone to manage for you. You wouldn't want a server which has security holes waiting for someone to lurk into.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Tomboy1256,

Yes, you can certainly find servers cheaper elsewhere. Nocster has servers from $59.95 ($49.95 if you buy a closeout one). One benefit of going with them is that it's completely managed. Any problems you run into, they'll fix for you. Rackshack doesn't - at least not without a fee.

You won't find cPanel for cheaper than $10 monthly. It's expensive, and the cheaper hosts can't afford to distribute it for any lower of a cost. You might find some hosts that give cPanel for free, but they often charge you alot for the server, so it works out to be more expensive.

Best of luck with your server Take it one step at a time, buy some books on Linux and study them. You should have a basic knowledge of Linux and Apache before you even purchase the server. After you get the server you can learn more about the many other services on your server.

Jack

That's totally untrue. I currently have 21 different sites hosted on my rackshack cpanel server.

Wouldn't disagree on the price issue but do look at the configuration too. If the server is to host your own sites, you can control the load but if you are planning to host several hundreds customers, look for one specification which can handle that load.

But if you are thinking of getting a server to learn then low specs is okay.
    http://www.batchimage.com - Offering Batch Image Processing and TIFF/PDF Software Solutions

Jack
    Where do these people come from?
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

Plz help newbie
    Hey.. atleast hes in the right thread

Hi,

We offer a range of different packaged or a custom facility.

Please note we also offer a price match promise.

Please visit www.dedipower.com or email sales@dedipower.com for more info.

Regards,

Dedipower.com

Originally posted by AlexASUK
    Hi,

We offer a range of different packaged or a custom facility.

Please note we also offer a price match promise.

Please visit www.************** or email sales@************** for more info.

Regards,

You lack even the most basic of qualities...common sense.

Lets stop the bashing
    [AIM]: BhAaD99 :: [ICQ]: 79048062 :: [MSN/eMail]: lad_b@hotmail.com

You should know that rackshack is not managed. Meaning you have too manage it yourself or hire someone else too do it. Or else your server will crash and burn If I were you i would start of with a reseller that would be managed Anyways, whats your url for your webhosting company?