So Frustrated With GoDaddy's Support People's Upselling Tactics

I personally avoid GoDaddy like the plague but have several clients who use them. Their support team just seems to prey on people who don't know any better, spreading misinformation to try and get them to spend more money and upgrade. I recently had a client contact their support team about a domain registration issue she was having. This turned into her somehow upgrading from her standard Linux hosting to a more expensive Managed Wordpress plan because the tech told her Wordpress and the Linux server were incompatible. Like...what?! Unfortunately, most people don't have the knowledge to weed out the misinformation their support team spews so they're easy targets.

Quote Originally Posted by oysterminate View Post
    I personally avoid GoDaddy like the plague but have several clients who use them. Their support team just seems to prey on people who don't know any better, spreading misinformation to try and get them to spend more money and upgrade. I recently had a client contact their support team about a domain registration issue she was having. This turned into her somehow upgrading from her standard Linux hosting to a more expensive Managed Wordpress plan because the tech told her Wordpress and the Linux server were incompatible. Like...what?! Unfortunately, most people don't have the knowledge to weed out the misinformation their support team spews so they're easy targets.
    Sadly they aren't the only victims. It like this in the IT industry overall. Go to a Best Buy's Greek Squad about a fried up system and they will likely tell you it's nothing more than a brick. When it face it likely the motherboard and/or PSU that took a dump.

Oh and don't forget when you buy your HDTV that they will also likely tries to get you to buy "premium class" cables and an extended warranty!

The only thing we can do is say "no" to those businesses who practice such tactics on people who just don't often have the access to the same information we do.

In this business you don't need to be ethical, some might called misleading customers and others would say get everything you can out of each and every customer and smart business.
    It's a business to make money and if it's not regulated with legal ethical guidelines such as the finance industry this will happen. I think feel look at GoDaddy's size and it gives them trust "oh they must know what is best and advise me correct, they are the industry leaders and experts" Nothing could be further from the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by Xeth View Post
    In this business you don't need to be ethical, some might called misleading customers and others would say get everything you can out of each and every customer and smart business.
    It's a business to make money and if it's not regulated with legal ethical guidelines such as the finance industry this will happen. I think feel look at GoDaddy's size and it gives them trust "oh they must know what is best and advise me correct, they are the industry leaders and experts" Nothing could be further from the truth.
    Up selling is indeed part of business but it's too has to be done in moderation. Otherwise your reputation will pays the piper.

In this business you don't need to be ethical
    Yes, you should. I may never grow to be the size of a GoDaddy, but if it takes being dishonest or unethical, no thanks.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Quote Originally Posted by oysterminate View Post
    her somehow upgrading from her standard Linux hosting to a more expensive Managed Wordpress plan because the tech told her Wordpress and the Linux server were incompatible.
    Unless you saw a chat/ticket log for that, I'm calling BS. The more likely issue is that the customer heard that, but it's not what was said. Tech-illiterate site owners sometimes seem to only hear every 3rd word of a conversation, and what they walk away with isn't what was said.
    || Need a good host?
    || See my Suggested Hosts List || Editorial: EIG/Site5/Arvixe/Hostgator Alternatives
    ||

Quote Originally Posted by HumaneHostingOwner View Post
    Up selling is indeed part of business but it's too has to be done in moderation. Otherwise your reputation will pays the piper.
    I think GoDaddy looks after it's share holders more than it's reputation hence the constant pushing for larger profits. Sad to say but when companies get to that size the share price means everything.

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Yes, you should. I may never grow to be the size of a GoDaddy, but if it takes being dishonest or unethical, no thanks.
    I should of said legally required to be ethical which is what I meant.

I think GoDaddy looks after it's share holders more than it's reputation hence the constant pushing for larger profits. Sad to say but when companies get to that size the share price means everything.
    And they pays the price when they do so. As the saying goes... What goes around, comes back around.

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    We all should, but yet...........

If the industry followed ethics, 80% of WHT posts would not exist.

Customers using a good and ethical web host will almost never need to search elsewhere, thus never coming across WHT....and posts of people complaining would not exist due to being treated correctly.

Let's not forget the 15 or 16 year old who had daily episodes of Web Hosts of Our Lives on here. Not one episode had any form of ethics like an 80's show (which I love) or a lesson learned at the end of an episode like Full or Fuller House. These "episodes" went on for almost 3 seasons

Quote Originally Posted by kpmedia View Post
    Unless you saw a chat/ticket log for that, I'm calling BS. The more likely issue is that the customer heard that, but it's not what was said. Tech-illiterate site owners sometimes seem to only hear every 3rd word of a conversation, and what they walk away with isn't what was said.
    I believe this to be true, but with having knowledge, I've come across replies from them and other majors that left me saying "What did they just tell me?!?!?!". Two I can't forget...the person just came out and said they didn't know. I actually never hated that response because I could then find other answers to the situation...but when they lie and give you the run around...and you know they're doing it...not cool.
    Last edited by WPCYCLE; 10-21-2017 at 11:03 AM.
    ██ WPCYCLE MANAGED WORDPRESS WEB HOSTING ██
    Managed WordPress VPS & Managed WordPress Dedicated VPS Servers
    Optimized • NVMe • SSD • KVM • NGINX • WordPress Brute Force Protection • Daily Offsite Backups
    Email: sales@wpcycle.comFacebook: wpcycle • Twitter: wpcycle

Godady, EIG .. the are to big to give a dam ... i suspect the support people also get some sort of perks for upselling where ever they can, so even if the company doesnt tell them to Lie a few sales people might to make a buck ..
    Rebel Networks
    Geek Powered Hosting - The Cloud Made Simple
    SuperHero 24 |7 | 365 Support
    Please Visit us @ www.rebelnetworks.com

This has been going on for a long time, but people still see it as a diamond and they are the best.
    The same goes for Hostgator.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Dominator View Post
    i suspect the support people also get some sort of perks for upselling where ever they can, so even if the company doesnt tell them to Lie a few sales people might to make a buck ..
    Actually I think it's the opposite, in that they're told to always upsell or they get a black mark or fired.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Quote Originally Posted by hostingspty View Post
    This has been going on for a long time, but people still see it as a diamond and they are the best.
    The same goes for Hostgator.
    Are you saying GoDaddy and HostGator/EIG are the best?
    Dude, try some real provider before posting (unreal) statements like that.
    My "ranking" is kidding.
    I'm just a humble client, here to seek help and guidance from the true experts.

Quote Originally Posted by asgard View Post
    Are you saying GoDaddy and HostGator/EIG are the best?
    Dude, try some real provider before posting (unreal) statements like that.
    I believe he/she is expressing that people in general THINKS that these providers are the "best". Rather than saying that they are.

This is sadly due to the massive marketing and such that makes them "stand out of the rest".

Kinda like how ~80% of our USA economy is controlled by as little as ~5% of the upper class.

Capitalization such as these has it ups and... their downs..

There is possibly nothing more infuriating then asking for support and get a reply with someone trying to upsell. Most large companies do it nowadays, and its a great way to have business go to the competition.
    WebHostGB.com - Reseller, Shared, Dedicated & Hybrid
    UK Based Web Hosting - 60 Day Money Back Guarantee - 100% SSD
    Fully Inclusive & Managed UK Small Business Web Design & Hosting Services

cPanel/WHM | Domain & SSL Included | 24/7 UK Support | Transfers Included

Quote Originally Posted by WHE Tom View Post
    There is possibly nothing more infuriating then asking for support and get a reply with someone trying to upsell. Most large companies do it nowadays, and its a great way to have business go to the competition.
    Ahh yes but even smaller brands do it too...

"Oh we don't support this within your support package... for this it will be bill able at xyz amount/xxx per hour"

To avoid such, just check your contracts and make sure you got your butts covered.

yes this is completely true for godaddy. their support is terrible.