Quote Originally Posted by HumaneHostingOwner View Post
Actually I seen storage providers allowing this from here and there as long as the related to the stored data. So if you got a file store and want a site to share them with people you are likely to find a storage provider that will let you do this.

Try doing it at a website provider, you will likely get the axe instead...

I just don't get why most providers don't treat disk space like disk space but rather than on excessive "buts and ifs".

If I paid for xGB disk space, I expect to be able to use the FULL xGB (with legal limits of course).

Just like if you brought a flash drive.
I think that matters very much on the provider. Let's use Mike and MDDhosting as an example:

Their hosting plan page: https://www.mddhosting.com/hosting.php

Their limits:
1 CPU Core1 GB RAM
20 Entry Processes
100 Processes
20 Megabytes/Second Disk I/O
25 Concurrent MySQL Connections
250,000 Inodes (Files/Folders)
They are right there on the page. There are some providers hiding those in the TOS or AUP. Sure there are some other limits (don't host a Fruitbat Slavery Action site with live whippings or whatnot) but those are general to most hosts. There's always limits, as long as the host is open with these and they fit what you need, what does it matter? It's all marketing until you touch those numbers. The good guys are very open with those numbers. The Shysters often are not.

Edit: As a note, I do recommend MDDhosting, but be ready to migrate or upgrade if you start hitting those crazy numbers that are being thrown out. I highly doubt those will be easy to reach.