Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advertising forums removed

Hi,

I would like to add a suggestion, how about removing the advertising forum?

I think many hosts (not anyone in particular) just use this forum for advertising purposes.

If users want a package they can post in the general forum and clients of hosts can only reccomend hosts.

The forum is loosing its status, its turning into a commercial forum where hosts just use it gain clients. I personally am never going to post a ad again in the advertising forum.

What are your views? No flames please.

i dont think this is such a good idea ,
    this way the other forums will be flooded .
    Ben,

I think they should stay. It's a good place for customers to ask for offers. At worst, maybe hosts starting advertisements should be stopped. I think customers get better deals because of the advertising forums and the ability to advertise a WHT special. Which should help in bringing new visitors to WHT.

I think there is to much commerical gain on the posts on WHT, most hosts just post so they can advertise there signature with 1 word replies etc.. I think one of gethosted's ideas is great, hosts cannot start new threads but post offers.

Just gotta make sure you know... I don't even like my own idea. That was worst case scenario.
    I do think they are fine the way they are. If some hosts prosper out of it, I don't mind.

I think it's fine the way it is. If anything, something like SitePoint where you need to have 20 posts (I believe) before you can post an ad is reasonable.

(PS: 250 posts, yeehaw)

Talking

You've been awake for way too long

You said that we should remove the advertising forums, because people only use them for advertising...

Doesn't make sense does it...

There is nothing wrong with the advertising forum. Not only host's gain from it, members of WHT get great deals on web hosting. Now, what's wrong with that?

Hehe i don't sleep, could be the reason, thats not what i meant. I mean most hosts just signup on WHT and get the posts up so they can post ads its all for there commercial gain and not for the gain of the forum. WHT is not for commercial gain, didnt one of the admins say that?

I think it would be a good idea to make some changes since WHT is going to have its own webhosting directory soon as Matt named in another thread. I'm not suggesting any specific changes, whatever everyone thinks is the best.
    (SH)Saeed

Not really what everyone thinks best, but WHAT MATT thinks best as he owns the board

Re: Advertising forums removed

Originally posted by Hostexp
    I think many hosts (not anyone in particular) just use this forum for advertising purposes.
    As has been said by others, that's the point.

WHT is not for commercial gain, didnt one of the admins say that?

Correct, although we aren't anti-hosts (as some may think), nor anti-advertising (as some may think). To keep spam off the main forums, we've given everyone (both members who are hosts and members looking for a host), a place to post offers and/or requests and interact directly with other members of the forums who can provide these services.

As far as changes when the new site is officially launched, I don't know about that.
    HostHideout.com - Where professionals discuss web hosting.

• Chicken

Ive never posted an advertisement in there - I have responded to 1 or 2, but that is it
    back from the dead

heh, which forum do you particapate at nick?

heh, which forum do you particapate at nick?
    none - too busy
    back from the dead

I think a good idea would be to make it mandatory that anyone posting in the advertising forum be registered for at least a month before they are allowed to post. This, in my opinion, would really cut down on the number of people that think this is a field to be harvested, and pop in and back out.

Or, maybe they should have so many posts under their belt. Whatever. I'm losing interest now.

I think they should at least post 100 message in order to advertise.. Hhe.. They have to be a 'WHT addict' in order to have this privilege. =P

Aloha
    I agree with sbrad
    also make sure some people try not to have a couple user ids and double post stuff as a satisfied user
    keep em where ya can monitor them
    otherwise the forum would becom unusable
    any question would be
    OH come host with me blah blah
    Aloha, Chad
    www.happyfish.com
    To do a move in such a way that no one suspects let alone detects !!!

To have 100 posts is ok for hosts, but not for customers. Some signup just to get a quote or to learn a few things and then ask for a quote form hosts.
    Eric Desroches - eric@american-hosting.net
    American Hosting for Quality Shared Web Hosting and Custom Reseller Solutions
    http://www.american-hosting.net/

Aloha
    maybe hosts can have a certain amount or go through a qualify proccess
    would be cool if you could rate them and see who rated them to avoid a battle of unethical hosts trying to do bad
    a note make it so you have to look at there profile kinda like ebay how you can see the comments etc...

might save a lot of searching
    Aloha, Chad
    www.happyfish.com
    To do a move in such a way that no one suspects let alone detects !!!

Some points, valid or not.

1. Clients like looking at ads. When I was just a client I did. Before I found WHT I went to host directories. How else? That is where I found *****. When I receive a new magazine the first thing I do is look at the ads. Am I the only one like this?

2. We are all clients. With rare exception we are all in the market for resources. That kind of makes us all clients. I started to title point 2 as "I don't come here to talk to just clients." However, after thinking about it, I guess I do. Many of us (maybe most) wear two hats. I know, what does this have to do with anything.

3. Some of the best deals are in the advertising section. How else would we know of these specials. Visit every site on the net? How else would I have heard of $129 dedicated servers. WOW, it still intrigues me.

4. The advertising section helps clients and hosts keep their thumbs on market prices.

5. Most of the forums here are for the providers of resources. Look at the forum titles and descriptions. Most are not for pure web-site clients.

6. The advertising section has nothing to do with forum-client-chasing.

I am really pressed for time so I am going to share the stupid parts of my post with the other. I would normally run this through a "duh" filter.

Gary

And, some of the best deals can be from startups looking to cover costs. Maybe with no posts under their belt.

I like the advertising forum the way it is.
    It's nice to have one place to got that I can list what I need and then receive so many good offers.
    Sometimes I just like to go there and read. Not really looking for anything. Just taking notes on hosts actions.
    There is no best host. There is only the host that's best for you.

I think there is to much commerical gain on the posts on WHT, most hosts just post so they can advertise there signature with 1 word replies etc.. I think one of gethosted's ideas is great, hosts cannot start new threads but post offers.
    I see what you're saying, but it wouldn't work, hosts would register under different names, say they're looking for hosting, then jump back to their other name and please themseleves with their best offer, making others believe they're really great.

Just my $.02,

Ok i give up, but DO NOT forget that this forum is NOT for commercial gain, I don't see MATT putting up adverts on the top of this forum.

I have been bombarded here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast