hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Other Forums : Web Hosting Lounge : My customers are getting spammed by ADDR

Forum Jump

My customers are getting spammed by ADDR

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Lounge Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-16-2003, 02:11 PM

My customers are getting spammed by ADDR

Just came accross this e-mail today, being sent to a couple of my customers.. Don't you think ADDR is big enough and gets enough signups everyday, that they don't need to go and try to steal MY customers!! I'm so mad. Offering a free year! Two clients just cancelled outa the 5 or so they sent it to.
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello,

I happened to visit your website *REMOVED*. It was really interesting to go through the profile of your company which manufactures Swarovski Austrian crystal and Bali Silver beads, along with opportunities to resell fashionable jewelry designs. The interactive links provided, make it very easy for the browser to go through the site. The links to Services We Offer, About Us and Product Center gives the reader a good insight into your company's working and services. The member's login areas and FAQ sections are some wonderful features that you have incorporated into your website. The logo and pictures along with the background match well and adds to the beauty of the site. I liked the overall presentation of the site, but at the same time doubt whether you are getting the best services from your current web hosting company. **SIDE NOTE** "THOSE ********! HOW WOULD THEY KNOW! OUR CUSTOMERS, INCLUDING THESE, LOVE US" In this context I feel that the following offer would be of considerable interest to you.

I work in the marketing department of ADDR.COM (ADDR.COM is a professional web hosting and web design provider currently servicing over 60,000 customers) and if you would be interested in trying our services, I can offer you a full year of hosting for your site http://www.REMOVED.com/ completely free of charge.

Should you decide to cancel at any time, you will of course not be charged anything. In fact, we will get in touch before the completion of the trial period to find out how you liked our services and if you would like to continue with ADDR.COM.

To sign up, simply go to our website (http://www.addr.com/ordering.htm) and go through the standard ordering form. There is no need to provide a credit card number, simply select "pay by check" option for now and mention "1 year free from Jacob Summers " in the "How did you hear about us" field. Also, it would be great if you could send me a quick email to let me know that you signed-up so that I can ensure you get the 1 year free from our end.

Please feel free to email me if you have any questions. Your files and domain name will be transferred for free, so please avail this opportunity to make sure you get our trial offer.

Thanks!

With Best regards,
Jacob Summers
jsummers@addr.com
www.addr.com
------------------------------------------------------------------

ARGH!!

Watch out for this CRAP!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2003, 02:15 PM
Disabled

wow, I am shocked

Old 07-16-2003, 02:19 PM
Web Hosting Guru

ipchains -A input -p tcp -s 208.185.93.0/255.255.255.0 -j DENY

ipchains -A input -p tcp -s 208.185.92.0/255.255.255.0 -j DENY

ipchains -A input -p tcp -s 209.249.147.0/255.255.255.0 -j DENY

Sponsored Links
Old 07-16-2003, 02:23 PM

That'll block incoming e-mail from addr? Whered you get the three IP's. Thanks by the way.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:31 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by WH-Coach
ipchains -A input -p tcp -s 208.185.93.0/255.255.255.0 -j DENY

ipchains -A input -p tcp -s 208.185.92.0/255.255.255.0 -j DENY

ipchains -A input -p tcp -s 209.249.147.0/255.255.255.0 -j DENY
just add port 80 .

Tempting to do that at the router level, thats some pretty slick spam.

http://www.prioritycolo.com

Old 07-16-2003, 02:35 PM
Web Hosting Master

I myself haven't received any of those, but I know this isn't the first time. I remembered myself at least seeing the line of

" happened to visit your website *REMOVED*. It was really interesting to go through the profile of your ....."

couple of times on the web forum that about addr sent spam. Maybe twice on WHT and some of flashkit forums if I am not wrong.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:40 PM

Yea, porcupine, adding port 80, that would not allow the server to view the addr websites right? Since httpd is port 80.. Do I have to add a port to have it block all the incoming e-mail from addr?

Old 07-16-2003, 02:42 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by burst9
Yea, porcupine, adding port 80, that would not allow the server to view the addr websites right? Since httpd is port 80.. Do I have to add a port to have it block all the incoming e-mail from addr?
I was thinking more along the line of preventing the addr servers from viewing your websites. Judging by the spam up top, they automatically parse through the web content of sites to make it look like they've actually had **people** looking at your site. I'm guessing if they can't parse through the web content (because they simply cannot connect), they wouldn't be sending that automated email.

http://www.prioritycolo.com

Old 07-16-2003, 02:48 PM
learning is in the doing

Sorry to hear about your troubles, burst9. It is disgusting sometimes, to see what big companies will do to obtain or take away business, from little companies.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:52 PM

I know. That's beyond greed, that just downright low.

Old 07-16-2003, 02:53 PM
Web Hosting Master

Wow FREE hosting, why don't we all go there, order by check and enter

"1 year free from Jacob Summers "

Old 07-16-2003, 03:01 PM
Web Hosting Guru

Quote:
Whered you get the three IP's.
http://ws.arin.net/cgi-bin/whois.pl?queryinput=addr.com

Also - it's not just 3 IP addresses, that was 3 * /24 networks...768 addresses

Old 07-16-2003, 03:12 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by porcupine
I was thinking more along the line of preventing the addr servers from viewing your websites. Judging by the spam up top, they automatically parse through the web content of sites to make it look like they've actually had **people** looking at your site. I'm guessing if they can't parse through the web content (because they simply cannot connect), they wouldn't be sending that automated email.
scripts/ iptables -I INPUT -s 123.456.789.000 -j DROP

Will block everything

Old 07-16-2003, 03:23 PM
Web Hosting Master

Have you tried contacting, mfnx.net/mfn.net/above? their provider?

I have gotten spam myself from them. I just asked in their live chat why they spam so much, she insisited they run spam blockers on all their sites!!!

Good for you...

Chet

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
More Downtime for HostGator and BlueHost Customers as Router Issues Plague Utah Data Center Web Hosting News 2014-04-16 15:46:56
Hivelocity Offers Customers Free Cloud Storage Web Hosting News 2014-01-13 15:16:53
HostGator Continues to Restore Hosting Services After Data Center Outage Web Hosting News 2013-11-20 16:54:54
Web Host 1&1 Internet Adds Server Restoration Tool for Virtual Machines Web Hosting News 2012-11-07 15:45:16
Torrent Site The Pirate Bay Embraces Cloud Hosting to Improve Uptime, Lower Costs Web Hosting News 2012-10-17 10:59:01