Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing a NOC

Lightbulb Choosing a NOC

Hello everyone!

I'm seriously now considering starting up a webhosting company so I have been researching all the details like mad the past few days.

First things that I have looked at are the NOC's. Which one is the best, but which one is the CHEAPEST! I don't want to start with much overhead cost because I'm not sure how many signups I will get in the first months of business. VDI seems like a fair deal, I could handle the costs, but I'd prefer if there was a cheaper option available.

Also, how many signups can I expect in my first months from those of you that have had experience? After submitting to all the directories for hosts etc.

Thanks for any help!
    Brian

You need to decide what you are looking for in a NOC. You mentioned VDI, so I"m assuming you are looking for a WHM/CPanel NOC. If so, I would highly recommend Burst.Net.

Also, how many signups can I expect in my first months from those of you that have had experience? After submitting to all the directories for hosts etc.
    Ummm... none. That is, if that's all you plan to do.

VDI seems like a fair deal, I could handle the costs, but I'd prefer if there was a cheaper option available.
    Who's VDI?

Originally posted by CagedTornado
    Who's VDI?
    http://www.vdi.net/
    Nasty looking site, but a well used company by quite a few hosts.

Greg Moroe
    Former Webhost... now, just a guy.

<< please read the forum rules and do not advertise on the main boards.. you will be banned the next time you break the rules

- kunal >>

That would not be enough. If I wanted to give each user 200 megs of disk space, and 5 gigs of transfer a month. They probably won't use all that, but even if they did that would mean that I could have only 7 users!

Burst.net sounds good, I'll look into that some more.

I also wouldn't just submit my site to host directorys! I would spend money on ad campaigns etc.

Any other noc's?

Brian

Btw... virtual dedicated, that makes no sense to me, why would I want a shared dedicated server? Or even if it isn't shared, where do you find a 2 gig hard drive these days?

I personally would not recommend BurstNET..they have many support issues and parts going bad (the UPS on the racks).

I recommend VDI though - I'm at their datacenter now

More

I think there is alot more to hosting then just picking a NOC.

THere are alot of different technologies out there.

Ensim
    Plesk
    CPanel
    and the new ones.

I mean having multiple NOC's is the way we went about it. Multiple points of hosting.

In regards to advertising, its good to get in every directory and then start a compaign.

I think the hosting world is more indepth then parking a server and starting up. Also if you like sleep, wrong business.

In regards to private servers, Multiple Dedicateds on 1 physical box, to some it makes alot of sense. They want to be on there own box, but dont want the overhead of alot of money a month.
    Joe
    ---------------------
    "In the end you start thinking about the beginning"
    "You shouldn't take life to seriously, you will never get out alive"
    "Every Passing Minute is another chance to turn it all around"

Joe,

I'm sure you'll agree looking into a solid NOC is a good place to start though. Getting the hardware sorted right the first time is going to help a great deal compared to getting a nice juicy client base up, only find find your servers are hamster powered.

A great place to look for advertising is in your existing business, whatever that may be. Work friends, relatives, neighbours.. anyone to sign up to cover costs early. Soon as you're in the black, you're rolling. Getting a solid, happy client base of around 50 or so is the hard part. Beyond that it begins to feed itself with word of mouth and profit to plough into ads.

hehe, yeah, and all your sleep belong to us.

Greg Moore

Yes

Good NOC's are important.

But there are many of those, just depends what your trying to do.

Joe
    ---------------------

I've actually heard great things about burst.net and for the price differential, 300 bucks a month, I could manage with minimal tech support, although I know for a fact that their tech support is pretty good.

Where can I find a list of noc's

All I have so far is

Alabanza
    VDI
    Blurst.net

Any others?

Brian

Many

There are many NOC's

Pegasus
    Dtwebworks
    Equinix,
    Switch & Data
    UUnet
    Verio
    Savvis
    Cable and Wireless
    Dialtone INternet
    Aperian
    Weiner Communications
    Sprint
    Colo.com
    Datacolo
    Nac
    Yipes in CA
    Genuity
    st3

I imagine theres a ton more, in really depends what your defination of NOc's

If its the company that actually owns the datacenter, or are you looking for people that colo at a datacenter

Your call
    ---------------------

I'm looking for people like VDI or burst.net who provide the server with an alocated amount of traffic per month... etc etc. For around 300 bucks monthly.

Brian

Companies

SO overall your looking for a dedicated server

<<EDIT>>

Joe
    ---------------------

<< parts going bad (the UPS on the racks) >>

mkaufman: Don't even try an make that sound like our fault.
    Parts go bad...no matter what...even if you are Verio or Exodus.
    We do not manufacture the hardware...and it's not like it happens all the time.
    We had one incident almost two months ago where a shipment of UPS systems failed, and took out two racks.
    We replaced them VERY quickly, and there have been no further problems.
    All in all we feel the situation was handled very well.

I would love to see a new NOC open up, and have them order in a ton of new hardware, and not have a single piece of defective hardware shipped to them.....it's not going to happen...defective hardware is part of the business...What is more important, is how fast it is replaced, and the situation dealt with, if it does occur...and to that we performed pretty darn well considering the situation.

And as far as support...check out the recent posts about our satisfied dedicated server clients...
    We feel currect client opnions are more important than a comment from someone who is not a client, and is doing business with a rival NOC.

Sean R.
    BurstNET
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!
    http://www.smarthost.net - sales@smarthost.net - Resale/Affiliate Programs
    Cloud Hosting - VPS Hosting - Dedicated Servers - Colocation - Flux Capacitors

Sean

Im not sure this was the right post to leach out at a past client

I mean he does have the right to his opinions.

But I will say computers fail, look who is designing and making them
    ---------------------

Re: Sean

Originally posted by JBIZ718
    But I will say computers fail, look who is designing and making them
    Yes those freaky little guys wearing multi-colored hats with propellers on them that wear those thick black rimmed glasses!

.. sorry.

Greg Moore

Originally posted by BurstNET
    << parts going bad (the UPS on the racks) >>
    mkaufman: Don't even try an make that sound like our fault.
    Parts go bad...no matter what...even if you are Verio or Exodus.
    No offense, as I'm not trying to criticize, but I'm pretty sure Exodus and Verio have redundant UPS systems.

you may take a look at Ventures Online although they do not have their own NOC but they rent a private suite at VERIO NOC. Their dedicated servers start from $200/month.

Their support is real great and fast!

Personally I think that it is not a bad idea to get a dedicated server from a host since web hosting are not really sounds that easy.

******** - ASP, ASP.NET. Windows 2008 Hosting - Windows Reseller Plans

1 Exabyte = two to the sixtieth power byte, 1,152,921,504,606,846,976 bytes

<< Im not sure this was the right post to leach out at a past client >>

JBIZ718:
    I'm not leeching out...I'm just saying hardware problems happen...deal with it....every company runs into such eventually. And I'm not sure mkaufman ever was a BurstNET client, in fact I don't think he ever was, I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure. If he is a VBI client now...chances are he was never a BurstNET client...clients just don't leave BurstNET and then go to VBI (unless clients were stolen against TOS...and that was done several times..hence another reason to leave that NOC)...it's the other way around. The fact that he recommended who he did , after putting us down...says to me there was alterior motive. If you are not/never have been a client, as I have said more times in the past, don't comment.

As far as redundant UPS systems: I don't care what company it is, if you have a server/rack plugged into a piece of hardware (a UPS in this case..) and the UPS system dies....the server/rack goes down.....EVEN if you have a redundant UPS system on your network. If the UPS fails, and there is no power going to the piece of equipment the server is plugged into directly, no redundant power system behind that UPS system is going to do any good.

Sean R.
    BurstNET

PS - mkaufman was obviously impressed with his recent visit/tour of VBI. Since he is in our backyard here is PA, I would like to welcome him to tour our facility when we allow the public access in August...so he can compare the two.

Last edited by HostJedi; 07-22-2001 at 03:30 AM.
    SmartHost™ - Intelligent Hosting! - Multiple Locations - US/EU! - Ultra-Fast NVME SSD VPS!

BurstNET:

I'd be interested in a tour of your new datacenter, do you have them available? I live in the Boston area.

Let me know,
    Brian

We will be allowing access to the facility in August.
    We are finally nearing completion of the cosmetics of the facility now.

Sean R.
    BurstNET

Originally posted by BurstNET
    As far as redundant UPS systems: I don't care what company it is, if you have a server/rack plugged into a piece of hardware (a UPS in this case..) and the UPS system dies....the server/rack goes down.....EVEN if you have a redundant UPS system on your network. If the UPS fails, and there is no power going to the piece of equipment the server is plugged into directly, no redundant power system behind that UPS system is going to do any good.
    Then don't plug the rack into a UPS. The racks should be plugged into a normal outlet, which in turn goes to the redundant UPS system. I don't know the technicalities of how it works, but I know it does. We had a UPS die on us and didn't lose power at all.

We looked into it with Leibert, APC, Powerware, etc...Costs for hardwired UPS systems of decent size are $50,000 and up. That size would not even begin to cover the needs for a large amount of servers and equipment.
    Large companies like Verio, Digex, and Exodus can afford to install such systems, and the usage of such shows in the pricing levels they have. With the rock bottom pricing we have, offering such is not feasible. If some clients want to pay 2-3 times the price for their BurstNET service, then it would become an option. Eventually we do plan on having hardwired 2nd line of defense UPS systems, but at this point it is not ecomnomically viable to implement such. As it is, individual rack UPS systems, backed up by a deisel generator which can run for days, is more than enough for our needs.

Sean R.
    BurstNET

<< I personally would not recommend BurstNET..they have many support issues and parts going bad << (the UPS on the racks). I recommend VDI though - I'm at their datacenter now

Of course you recommend VDI over BurstNET....you are VDI's Administrator/Moderator for their customer support forums....and thus have a biased opinion.

Sean R.
    BurstNET

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast