View Poll Results: Is the $199 fee worth it to be listed with Yahoo?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely YES!

8 20.00%
  • Yes

8 20.00%
  • No

8 20.00%
  • Absolutely NOT!

16 40.00%

Is the $199 fee worth it to be listed with Yahoo?

The subject pretty much says it all:

Is the $199 fee worth it to be listed with Yahoo?

I realize that the $199 doesn't necessarily guarantee placement in Yahoo!. Has anyone done this? Is it worth the fee you paid? Why or why not?

Take care,

Brian
    :: 1StopWebHosting.com :: - Professional Web Hosting Services
    ::
    :: Featuring the CPanel Control Panel running on CENTOS Linux servers
    :: We offer Shared Web Hosting, Business Hosting, Java / J2EE Servers and Dedicated Server solutions.

Im a mabey. It depends. WIll you get good placement, ie, name start with a low letter? Are there a lot in your catagory. I did this before and was rejected because it was not viewable in netscape OPE:

Its centainly worth it.

Is it worth it?
    Ofcourse it is.

But the most important thing is to find a good catagory.
    Some of the catagories i'm interested in send about 6000 clicks per month and I think that $199 can be covered in the first week

I have added several of my sites to yahoo categories and its worth it. consider all the high quality traffic you get from Yahoo over one year and weigh it against the $199.
    No business can afford not to be listed on yahoo.
    Review of top hosting companies. List of Budget hosting.
    http://www.webhostingvillage.com

I think it is worth it. Even if you don't get great listings, other search engines look at who else is linking to you and if their are links coming from large portals, it helps your ranking in their search engine as well. I am not a search engine expert but that's how I understand it.
    Brian Welch
    Perfect Presence Inc.
    Web Design, Hosting and Ecommerce
    http://www.perfectpresence.com

oh yea... very good and high traffic.

if you got the money - go for it.
    Marketing For Hosting Companies:

Can someone please provide a link with more info about this?

I currently spend about $300 every 3 days with goto and would like to see what Yahoo has to offer.

I would not consider Yahoo as a replacement for Goto but an enhancement of your existing marketing strategy.

We use both Yahoo and Goto. Goto we use at certain times, not every month, we try different methods. We average $2300.00 a month when we do Goto. Yes, we see increased sales but the traffic is not always a good value, many are just just clicking.

With Yahoo you will probably not see as much traffic as from Goto, depends on what category section your in. With yahoo you will pay much less and will NOT see all the friggin fraudulent click throughs that you get from Goto. Until Goto.com stops paying websites to click through, we will not consider it a good value. At yahoo your users are coming to you for good reason, not to make money on a click.

One word: YEP!

Originally posted by Brad
    We use both Yahoo and Goto. Goto we use at certain times, not every month, we try different methods. We average $2300.00 a month when we do Goto. Yes, we see increased sales but the traffic is not always a good value, many are just just clicking.
    I'd be interested to hear your experience with Goto (posted here or PM). I've had almost no luck with them, and the stress of the watching money go down the drain because of fradulent clicks...

I started using Google and took advice from somebody who is getting 10+ signups a day from Google, I'm seeing more questions and such, and higher traffic, but not a high increase in sales.

Originally posted by Brad

WOW!! $2300/month with Goto? How many search terms do you have? We have bids on over 40 terms and spend barely $1 per day.

What are you doing to get such clickthrough response?

Take care,

Brian
    :: 1StopWebHosting.com :: - Professional Web Hosting Services
    ::
    :: Featuring the CPanel Control Panel running on CENTOS Linux servers
    :: We offer Shared Web Hosting, Business Hosting, Java / J2EE Servers and Dedicated Server solutions.

hmm

This may sound lame.
    but 199$ to be listed where?

I dont see any special listings.

or maybe working all through the past 36hours has gotten to me.

thanks either way
    T.

Re: hmm

Originally posted by RunOfTheMill
    This may sound lame.
    but 199$ to be listed where?

I dont see any special listings.

or maybe working all through the past 36hours has gotten to me.

thanks either way
    T.
    $199 (non refundable, i think?) just to get -hopefully- listed. The $199 basically only guarantees that someone from yahoo will take a look at your site and -maybe- include it in the index
    Marc Wyss - marc@mchost.com
    MCHost Inc - Experts in Private Label Reseller Plans
    http://www.mchost.com

I forgot the address because it was so long ago. Its called buissnessexpress or something in that area. Basicly, instead of wating 3 months to get listed in yahoo, they take a look at your site within a week. If you do not pass, they give you 30 days to improve.

We need to be clear

We need to be clear about a few things here...

The $199 fee (I'm pretty sure) is just to be CONSIDERED by Yahoo in a timely manner. Basically, Yahoo isn't making any guarantees that you'll get listed -- only that you'll be considered for a listing.

Also, I've heard folks mention 'goto' -- which I think is a reference to their 'search engine words' advertising engine. Yahoo also has an online ad campaign tool, and this is completely different from the fee I mentioned above.

Just my $.02

Dan
    Dan Esparza
    CagedTornado web services

It all depends on how you look at it

Yahoo has two courses for sending information to their search engine.

Depending on what you are willing to do, the $199 could be benefitial. First let me explain, no that would take too long. Let me sum up the process.

Yahoo is not a search engine in the usual respect. Instead of sending spiders out across the Web when you are searching for a something, Yahoo looks through its database. In order to get enrolled in the Yahoo database you first must complete a form.

The problem is, just because you fill out the form or even pay the $199 doesn't mean you are going to get listed in the Yahoo database. When filling out the form without paid registration you form could take weeks even months just to be reviewed. When paying for the whole process it could take a few days to have a reviewer review the form.

Once the form is reviewed, Yahoo decides if they will include it in their database or not. So just ebcause you add money to it doesn't mean you will be added to the Yahoo database, merely reviewed earlier.

We have done these forms for many clients and have found a few tips for the Yahoo database that I will include, can't tell all of the secrets or else I'd be out of the job 8-) .

First do it right the first time. Make sure everything you send in is perfect and I mean perfect. With how long it takes for submissions to be considered and the fact that Yahoo will not go through great lengths to help you revise a submission make sure everything is accurate, proof read, etc.

Do not try to use multiple URL or keyword strategies. Yahoo is very picky and those tricks you use to increase your ranking on search engine sites will not work on Yahoo. In fact, trying to work around the Yahoo system may get your submission sent back and your name may even be banned from submitting to Yahoo.

If you choose to go the free route I cannot stress enough how important it is to constantly email and call Yahoo. Constant pressure (politely, of course) may get you closer to your goal. Just as long as you remain calm and polite, your submission may be review earlier. If the submission it is not accepted then by using this strategy, you will be able to find out sooner and revise the form.

If you don't have the time to harrass the folks at Yahoo or you need to be in the Yahoo database very soon, then paying $199 for the early review would be the way to go.

Hope this helps, at this risk of self-promotion, I will say if you desire more tips check us out, if you have any questions I can answer for everyone here let me know.

18. Newsletters

Subscribe Now & Get The WHT Quick Start Guide!

Related Posts from theWHIR.com