Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why does everyone want Cpanel?

Over at the Hosting Request forums everyone requests Cpanel. What's the deal?

Better and more skins, more user friendly interface, more advance in controlling advance stuffs (setting up cron job, etc).

More branded for resellers, easy to use without too much customization, more control over the resell domains.

Better software updates support.

Since you weren't asking about how bad it is, then I shouldn't be mentioning it..

Re: Why does everyone want Cpanel?

Originally posted by rurbaniak
    Over at the Hosting Request forums everyone requests Cpanel. What's the deal?
    I think for the most part people assume every host offers cpanel.
    There have been threads about this very subject so you might try searching the fourms for some interesting read.
    There are plenty of hosts that offer "other" control panels.
    HostCaters.com - Quality Web Hosting - Under A Gig! - Since 1999

cyberservers,
    you pretty much said it all
    Customer really like ease of use and options, cpanel basically gives them the most amount of options but still remains simple to them.
    PingPros LLC | International Network Consultant & Internet Service Provider
    Cisco, Juniper, Extreme, BGP, OSPF, Windows, Linux, and Mac Consulting services | Internet Service Provider
    High Quality Services at a very competitive price!

I found it simple, easy to use but some times comes with alot of error as "WinXP"

Well for the customers:

it's easy to learn & use

Nice looking

Easy reseller panel

many 3rd party autoinstall scripts(depending on the hosts fantastico & cpskins)

Also, admins those days have no idea how to manage a server via SSH

WHM is their only solution....sad thing...

We don't have a CP and we didn't lost any customer because of that. People are OK with it. You shouldn't choose an host because this one got a CP and this one doesn't have one. CPanel comes free with Rackshack servers. You aren't better than the guy who colocate his server. Difference is that he have to pay 1400$ to pay the CPanel license. The guy at Rackshack got it free.

....maybe the colocation guy have a better support too?

Anyway I don't like those panel (Except Ensim/Plesk). CPanel is buggy, too much security holes. Too much options for the all-around user. They should put simplicity first. Design is absolutely ugly. I heard they now have XSkin included. Nice choice, Blue Lagoon is very ugly. Ensim is nice, clean & clear design with just the options we want.

My 2 cents
    Charles Beliveau | NymixWeb.com
    Proven success since 2001!

the probably want it because they are not aware that many hosting companies get hacked through it.. ?
    The Hostworks:: Offering Managed and Unmanaged VPS
    Shared Web Hosting and Managed E-Mail security services.
    24/7 Support :: 10 year anniversary coming soon!

Cpanel is no more exploitable then MySQL or Apache is. If you're lax on security then it doesn't matter what software you have, it can be exploited.

We like it cause we're stupid, feeble minded bi-peds, lucky enough to go day to day without crashing the server, plus, CPanel is easy to use when you're drunk.

It's easy to use. I used it for about 2 months and I got rid of it, not worth it. It's really buggy, So I kept ensim :-)
    Max

Originally posted by bubba hyde
    We like it cause we're stupid, feeble minded bi-peds, lucky enough to go day to day without crashing the server, plus, CPanel is easy to use when you're drunk.

ROFL .. just don't answer the phone, "How many I help you, *burrrp*"
    Tony
    www.hostingmetro.com

Cpanel is no more exploitable then MySQL or Apache is. If you're lax on security then it doesn't matter what software you have, it can be exploited.
    Untrue, since Cpanel does not jail users, they can find out all kinds of interesting information which they can then use to their advantage. This is a very large vulnerability of Cpanel and it appears they refuse to acknowlege it and take preventive measures.

"Why does everyone want Cpanel?"

Because they dont know any better and enjoy following the other sheep. Its that simple.

People who TRY other panels actually end up liking them
    Matt Wallis
    United Communications Limited
    High Performance Shared & Reseller | Managed VPS Cloud | Managed Dedicated
    UK www.unitedhosting.co.uk | US www.unitedhosting.com | Since 1998.

Ensim is included into UH-Matt's post

By the way Matt, I'm gonna try Ensim starting of today

Are you looking to sell your skin? I may be real interested with it.

I remember a time when UBB was king. Some could argue it still is. I'd say it still has market percentage, but I think many would agree vBulletin has taken the crown. This isn't due to the supposed superiority of PHP over PERL (in itself debatable), but instead due to the replacing nasty, added-on-time-after-time-after-time code with a better more effecient product. I myself discovered an exploit in UBB a few years ago due to its non-database structure. Of course, all that could have changed by now...

The point is, albeit, cPanel is comming to the end of its day unless something changes. Printing server script information to a template like they do is not "user friendly". I for the first time two months ago saw it's "guts" and consider it a virus on the server--it's everywhere and seems like it has unspecified access to everything. Of course a control panel "should", but it should also be easily identifiable to a specific location on the server. I still sometimes am not sure what is a cPanel file and what is not. Elimination off the system is difficult, it replicates itself into countless locations--thus the title of virus.

Unless cPanel rethinks a few things, a new product will grab the market. They are profiting off of a built brand name.

Please excuse my opinions--they are after all: only my opinions.

Richard

Originally posted by neonlexx
    Untrue, since Cpanel does not jail users, they can find out all kinds of interesting information which they can then use to their advantage. This is a very large vulnerability of Cpanel and it appears they refuse to acknowlege it and take preventive measures.
    CPanel has a jail shell now, and there are other options outside of SSH (suexec for example), to prevent scripts from getting information outside of their home directory.
    I've said this a million times and I'll say it again, security is up to the systems administrator, not the control panel. There are all sorts of preventative measures to take that will make ANY information a user gets from SSH useless (with or without jail). Even if CPanel didn't jail the users (or you provided full bash), it's still your responsibility to make sure that the server is secure.

Quote Originally Posted by UltimeWWW
    Also, admins those days have no idea how to manage a server via SSH

WHM is their only solution....sad thing...
    So true... that's the thing, CPanel is a bit buggy, like any other piece of software, but the truth of it is, most people that bitch about lack of security in CPanel don't have a clue how to secure the server themselves. They seem to think that a nifty control panel should do all the work.
    I like Cpanel. It makes my job easier, by not having to modify FTP accounts manually, add subdomains manually etc etc. I've worked on several servers without a control panel, and although the server can handle a LOT more accounts and it tends to be a less jumpy then on CPanel, customers like it and... well I like customers .
    A well-reasoned assumption is very close to fact.
    - Adorno

Originally posted by UH-Matt

"Why does everyone want Cpanel?"
    Because they dont know any better and enjoy following the other sheep. Its that simple.
    You are in the same boat as anyone else who makes use of control panels to part-manage their servers and satisfy users needs.

The only difference is, you are following the Ensim sheep...!

CPanel has a jail shell now, and there are other options outside of SSH (suexec for example), to prevent scripts from getting information outside of their home directory.
    I've said this a million times and I'll say it again, security is up to the systems administrator, not the control panel. There are all sorts of preventative measures to take that will make ANY information a user gets from SSH useless (with or without jail). Even if CPanel didn't jail the users (or you provided full bash), it's still your responsibility to make sure that the server is secure.

The jail shell only applies to users logging in via SSH. The options available to prevent scripts from viewing directories have easy work arounds and are no substitute for a real chroot.

Some people like features, some like security.

Yes, Security is merely in the hand of the sys admin. I think sometimes the WHT crowd lacks the basic fundamentals to secure their environments or basic knowlege of linux, theres countless posts on "how do i manage my rackshack box?", Why do people buy things that they do not know how to use?

If I didn't know how to drive a manual car, I wouldn't buy a Z06 corvette....

Originally posted by tandem
    You are in the same boat as anyone else who makes use of control panels to part-manage their servers and satisfy users needs.

The only difference is, you are following the Ensim sheep...!
    Very true, but there is more room to breathe in the Ensim field.
    Matt Wallis

I think Ensim's down fall is the patching process and the fact it uses sendmail.

Patching could be better with any panel unfortunately.
    Matt Wallis

Cpanel's biggest winning factor is that end users love it.
    And that is what matters the most.
    Just about every hosting user wants cpanel.

Regards
    Amar
    A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"
    The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep. When you need care, come to bobcares....
    https://bobcares.in

Can I know what you like about CPanel? It's ugly, unsecure, too many useless options and too complicated. Look at Ensim, it's secure, is has just the option the customer want. No more.

Do we need those Fantastico software? Sure not! They are a pre-bugged software installer. They include old versions of everything. So easy to find exploit...it sucks.

Come on! It takes 5 minutes to a normal customer to install phpBB with the latest version.

I had just stated a market trend.
    The largest selling as of today is Cpanel.
    The order is
    Cpanel
    Plesk
    Ensim
    Hsphere

The original question in this thread is "Why does everyone want Cpanel"....

Hence, my statement.

Personally I do not use cpanel. But we do support many many cpanel servers...

And yes Ensim servers give lesser support tickets. Plesk is also good. And trust me every control panel has many pros and cons.

You really can't just bash cpanel. The bottom line is that it is still the market leader.

It is like everybody hates MS and Windows. Yet everybody uses only Windoze. (I use Only Linux and Freebsd, but I do not hate MS) ....

Regards
    Amar
    A student once asked his teacher, "Master, what is enlightenment?"
    The master replied, "When hungry, eat. When tired, sleep. When you need care, come to bobcares....
    https://bobcares.in

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast