hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Web Hosting : Remote connections to MySQL?

Forum Jump

Remote connections to MySQL?

Reply Post New Thread In Web Hosting Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-24-2001, 08:00 PM
Junior Guru

Remote connections to MySQL?

Does anyone know of a host that allows remote access from *ANY* IP to the MySQL database(s)? The reason I ask is because we (my site) have an application that runs on each of our client's box, and this application needs to connect to the database for a data transfer. I know many hosts don't allow this for security purposes, but I thought I would check. Thanks!

P.S. I dont' have the money to get a dedicated server, unless some others want to share the cost.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2001, 08:25 PM
Junior Guru

I am looking into this myself...

So far all I know its that your Sysadmin needs to use the command 'grant' to give you that type of access.

if some one has done it please help.

Old 07-24-2001, 08:58 PM
Disabled

Security!

This would not be very secure at all. I would suggest that you ask for a specifc IP access to a specific database. I personally would be worried if any host would allow what you ask and not host there.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-25-2001, 09:12 AM
WHT Addict

I never understood what the big fuss was about this. If someone guesses your password they have access to your db. That's bad but how would it affect the rest of the people on the machine? If the host allows you to telnet into the box that would be just about as secure.

Anyway, I'd actually guess that most hosts will allow this. I know for a fact that HostPro allowed it when I was with them. I wouldn't recommend them though since I had frequent "too many connections" errors trying to connect to MySQL.

I'd suggest you contact the hosts and sort of play dumb. Tell them you want to be able to administer MySQL with a PC client program (Free Mascon is a good one BTW). Ask them if there'll be any problem connecting to the DB from your home and work machines.

Old 07-25-2001, 11:48 AM
Junior Guru

Quote:
I never understood what the big fuss was about this.
I don't really know what's wrong with this either, but every host I ask says it's a security problem. I wouldn't think it would affect anyone but myself, and if you ask me, we should have the right to allow remote access. Now, I know some do offer remote access via certain programs, like MyODBC (and they still need to grant all the IP's manually), but when I mention the application I want to use on my client's boxes, then they all shun away. It's not like the client needs to get into the database, the application just needs a simple data transfer to the database and then it can be closed again. I just wish someone would explain exactly the security issues here. The hosts I HAVE asked, don't even reply.

Old 07-25-2001, 01:02 PM
WHT Addict

Your other option (and prossibly a better option) is to proxy the stuff through a cgi program. Your client program would fake up a http POST to get the request/update to the db and the CGI would return the results/status which the client program would then have to process.

Old 07-25-2001, 07:51 PM
Web Hosting Master

I don't see a security issue here at all. Off course, if you don't allow a remote connection you will be safer, but only that "a little safer" There isn't a single server in the world can can be tight enough unless you unplug it from the switch. What I would not do is allow a remote connection from any IP, I would limit it to one IP or to a class C at most.

This would be as simple as running a command like this:
mysql>grant insert, update, delete, select on database_name.* to database_user@'192.168.1.1' identified by 'password';

I don't really know if this would work though because we had problems configuring this a while ago. I think it has to do with the CPanel/WHM/Portsentry setup, but in theory it should work. You should be able to find a host that can do this for you.

Hosting on enterprise grade Dell servers with fast & redundant InterNAP bandwidth

Old 07-25-2001, 08:11 PM
Disabled

Re: Remote connections to MySQL?

Quote:
Originally posted by EricTA2
Does anyone know of a host that allows remote access from *ANY* IP to the MySQL database(s)?
The security issue is apparent in what is being asked for. The key word is ANY.....

Otherwise there is no issue. As long as the grant statement is used correctly.

Old 07-25-2001, 08:25 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

No way to find host with remote MySQL access allowed.

But you can use something like freesql.org.
And ... remote access to database are very unsecure!...

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Swarmify's New Approach to Content Delivery Uses Site Visitors to Accelerate Content Web Hosting News 2014-04-02 12:05:19
Google Releases Hosted Database Service Cloud SQL to General Availability Web Hosting News 2014-02-12 13:46:02
Google Cloud Provides Support For Native MySQL Connections Web Hosting News 2013-11-01 14:36:06
Hackers Pack More Sophistication into Simple Scripts to Attack PHP Applications Web Hosting News 2013-09-09 11:52:48
Cologix Expands Standard Connections Product to All Carrier Hotel Data Centers Web Hosting News 2013-01-15 11:25:06