Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laptops

Laptops

Ok I am wanting a decent laptop for under $1500, I need a decent gaming cabablity probly 64mb Video Card, and atleast 256mb ram, and a good battery life, atleast 3 hours. about 1ghz processor and last I need a dvd-player. I wouldn't mind centrino, if not then just a wireless networking card is fine.

I don't care about anything else, you think its possible to get something like that, new? if so what brand?
    Last edited by Stephen; 07-02-2003 at 05:58 PM.

I believe I saw some Dell notebooks going to under $1500. I think they even have a special going for a 2GHz notebook for around $699.

yeah I was looking at the dells, but after the memory upgrade, plus the fact that they just have a 32mb video card, its came out to around $1700

ok 2 things

1 I forgot I also need a wireless networking card, and how many hours do you think 94Whr Lithium Ion Battery gets you?

Get a Dell. Keep watching the specials:

http://www.gotapex.com/deals.php

actually I was wanting to get it at my house before next Wensday... I am going on vacation and was planing on buying one anyways so I figured I should get it before vacation, since my mom won't let me bring hers, because its he works.

Is it worth buying an emachines? Like is that gonna last me a few years or is it gonna be more like a few months?

Originally posted by Stephen
    Is it worth buying an emachines? Like is that gonna last me a few years or is it gonna be more like a few months?

*shudder* Although I fully admit I have never used an Emachines laptop, they're pretty darn cheaply made from what I've seen.

I really wish that I had the money for an alienware laptop, i mean they come standard with a ATI Mobile 128mb Video Card... but they state at 2098.00 so I really can't afford it What about The Sony Vaio Laptops?

ok I just found this at bestbuy.com and theres a bestbuy right near me... is this any good? http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....oryId=cat01174

Looks good. Decent brand, decent specs.. throw an extra stick of ram in there sometime and you should be ready to go.

However you could find the same for alot cheaper, but given the time constraints you posted, that is fair enough.

Were do you think I could find it cheaper? I mean I wouldn't mind paying an extra $40 for like overnight shipping if I could get it online for a hundred or so less.

I'm talking about stuff like this:

Last Day!! DellHome - Inspiron 5100 Laptop w/ P4 2.4 GHz, 256MB RAM, 40GB HDD, DVD-ROM for $899 $799 After Rebate, Shipped FREE and No Tax to Most States!

EXPIRING EXPIRING EXPIRING! DellHome - Inspiron 1100 2.2Ghz Laptop with 15" XGA TFT, CD-RW/DVD Combo Drive, 256MB DDR SDRAM for $674 Shipped after Rebate! Hurry!

However you won't beable to get a Dell deal in that amount of time. I would check the local stores for specials ect.

w00t 100th post

hmm I really don't need it to be like THE GREATEST LAPTOP EVER but I just want something that will last atleast 2 years or so... actually right now I have $1200 to spend, so I need something under that with the specs provided anyone have any ideas?

If you plan on doing extensive gaming on your laptop, you going to have to consider heat. You can easily overheat a laptop and it will automatically shutdown if it becomes overheated.

You will want to get a mobility processor to reduce heat and really consider the graphics card you get. My laptop I bought for work and not gaming, and it has a 2.4ghz Pentium 4, 512mb RAM, 32mb graphics, etc. All I have to do is play a game like BF1942, The Sims, CS, etc for about 5 minutes and it will get overheated.

Thought I would bring the subject up since it appears your getting it to do gaming (or atleast gaming will be a major activity on it) and you probably are not considering what effect heat can have on the laptop. It's a real bummer to be playing a game and have it shutdown on you cause it was getting over heated just as you reach the enemy base, etc.

not really extensive gaming... I want a wireless network card so I don't have to be playing games the whole time, but also on the probly 2 hour ride down I will rent a DVD or 2

laptop, this thread came right when I had an answer to it, hehe

You know the store named "ALDI"? Yea, its msotly a grocery store but every once in a while they sell computers there (desktops and laptops) and they really are of quality.
    On July 14th they have a sweet laptop coming to their shops, however the price is unkown but I have a strong feeling its going to be near $1,000. Anywayz, here the specs:
    - Pentium 4 2.4Ghz
    - 512MB DDR Ram
    - GeForce4 440 64MB DDR
    - 40GB HDD
    - DVD-RW (Yes, a DVD burner) and CD-RW combo-drive
    - 15.2" screen
    - integrated SD Card reader
    - integrated 802.11b Wireless LAN

I am thinking of buying one of those, here a picture of it http://www.aldifoods.com/Special_Pur...pr0707_cpu.htm

damn.. but is medion good? cause theres an aldi right near me

yeah, medion is a respectable company. The hardware they put in are quality (not imports from like China or something). Here i'll even list the brands, I have a brochure. Just check out your local ALDI store, I'm sure they also have a brochure. I asked the manager at my store about the price and he said Medion didn't tell him yet, he'll know few days before the sale begins.

The DVD-RW/CD-RW is form Toschiba.
    512MB DDR Ram from Siemens.
    40GB HDD from Hitachi
    and yea the geforce card from nVidia.

That laptop looks weird...

But anyway, if you got the above laptop, DO NOT EXPECT to be able to play almost ANY game for more than a few minutes before it will overheat.

But things like office apps, programs, DVDs, etc really don't have the overheating effect.

yea, I think for gaming, you shouldn't even buy a laptop. Stick to your desktop pc for games.

actually, let me correct myself.

Any of you know the game Counter-Strike?
    My friend had a compaq armada laptop (PIII 850Mhz with 192MB Ram) and he installed CS (aka Counter-Strike) on it as we had a night shift. So I played that game for like 50 mins and it didn't crash at all and still went smooth. Of course, after the 50mins, I touched the laptop at the bottom and it was hot and as aforementioned, altough some laptops might be capable of gaming, I wouldn't play too often on them

Yes, but go up to 2.4ghz and a 64mb graphics card and that is A LOT of heat.

yea Push, you are absolutely correct. That is a lot of heat indeed. Laptops are not for the gaming world. Now honestly, I wouldn't buy a laptop if I want one, rather if I need one.

I wouldn't buy a laptop if I want one, rather if I need one.
    Good advice to go by if your considering a laptop!!!

You can take the money you'd be spending on a nice laptop to get a better desktop. And a desktop will allow you to play your games without overheating (well, hopefully ).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast