Unhappy Redemption of my domain

I have a domain with enom which is in redemption period, it expired on 9th Sept 2016, I don't know how long it would be there or should I pay $250 and retrieve it, I've been suggested to wait for 45days and than get it without paying redemption .... any suggestions please, its been over a week now since I noticed that my website is offline, though not very important but I am not a computer savvy person, other wise I would take any other domain and use it rather than paying so much as $250 plus renewal of that domain at $42 ...
    I would really appreciate if somebuddy could shed some light which would help me make a decision ..

There are no guarantees it will not be grabbed by someone else before you get to it. If it's important to you, you should take any chance available to get it back, even if it means paying.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

How important is that particular domain to you? You mentioned you'd take any other domain as well.

Quote Originally Posted by ynsafdari View Post
    I have a domain with enom which is in redemption period, it expired on 9th Sept 2016, I don't know how long it would be there or should I pay $250 and retrieve it, I've been suggested to wait for 45days and than get it without paying redemption
    Good luck with that. There are so many automated systems out there waiting to snatch expired domains that your odds of successfully getting the domain back for just the normal registration fee are effectively nill.

If you can redeem it, and you want that domain name, then redeem it immediately. It's the only way to guarantee that you get the domain name back.
    "I've seen spam you people wouldn't believe. Routers on fire off the OCs of AGIS. I watched MXes burning in the dark near the Cyberpromo Gateway. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. TTL=0."

Quote Originally Posted by SneakySysadmin View Post
    Good luck with that. There are so many automated systems out there waiting to snatch expired domains that your odds of successfully getting the domain back for just the normal registration fee are effectively nill.

If you can redeem it, and you want that domain name, then redeem it immediately. It's the only way to guarantee that you get the domain name back.
    Unfortunately, that's the reality of redemption. If you want it, get it now. My perception from your original post is that you're really not that interested in paying $250.
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers

If someone register that before you - you will be asked more then $250 to pay.
    So you need to decide how important domain name for you and register new one or pay $250.
    Please do not get offended, but I think that your domain name is in the lists of automated systems which are waiting to re-register it.
    Decide from the side of domain name development.
    In my opinion if you forgot to renew that domain name that is not that important for you.
    --> http://www.webhostingzone.org/
    --> Secure and Reliable Web Hosting Services - cPanel / CloudLinux / Softaculous - Atlanta Data Center
    --> VPS Hosting, Linux Support, SSL certificates and more!

Quote Originally Posted by EugeneWHZ View Post
    Please do not get offended, but I think that your domain name is in the lists of automated systems which are waiting to re-register it.
    That, we cant tell without knowing the domain - and even then we cant say it with absolute certainty. Unless of course, someone has access to those lists.

But yes, if the OP has any interest in keeping the domain he should pay the (outrageous) redemption fee. Everything else is a gamble.

Quote Originally Posted by zoid View Post
    But yes, if the OP has any interest in keeping the domain he should pay the (outrageous) redemption fee. Everything else is a gamble.
    I don't have a problem with it being that high. It's a disincentive to those who want to retain the domain but game the system by not paying the registration fee until the absolute last second. If it were not there I assure you people would do precisely that... and when you might have several hundred or even thousands of domain names it'd be worth it and then some to do that if you could get away with it.

They had a full 30 days after the domain expired to renew it for just the cost of the regular renewal fee. If they don't even notice that the domain isn't working any more and persist in not noticing for 30+ days and decide after all of that that they really do actually want the domain? Then pony up the $$$ and next time renew it on time.
    "I've seen spam you people wouldn't believe. Routers on fire off the OCs of AGIS. I watched MXes burning in the dark near the Cyberpromo Gateway. All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain. TTL=0."

I don't have a problem with it being that high. It's a disincentive to those who want to retain the domain but game the system by not paying the registration fee until the absolute last second. If it were not there I assure you people would do precisely that... and when you might have several hundred or even thousands of domain names it'd be worth it and then some to do that if you could get away with it.
    Well, you cant really play the system. You either pay for the renewal and have your lease extended or you dont. Generally speaking there probably shouldnt be any grace period anyhow. An expiration should simply do what it means and a domain should be available once expired.

Anyhow, due to the "people factor" it was decided to have a grace period. Good. After that passed one can still get it back during the redemption period. Good again, but now suddenly there is some obscure justification as to why that costs more.

The last second argument is only very partially valid here, because it doesnt matter when the customer pays, as long as it is within possible payment period (and I do include those grace periods here). If they find it unacceptable simply let the domain expire upon expiration, everything else is just some sleazy argument to justify some random penalty fee.

My main point of criticism is not even the redemption fee per se .... oops, that might get me an infraction for using non-English words .... the redemption fee itself, but rather the amount. $250 borders usury. At some places the redemption fee is $75 which is still high, but $250 is just beyond reasonable. That is roughly +3000% of the regular registration fee.

They had a full 30 days after the domain expired to renew it for just the cost of the regular renewal fee. If they don't even notice that the domain isn't working any more and persist in not noticing for 30+ days and decide after all of that that they really do actually want the domain? Then pony up the $$$ and next time renew it on time.
    Here I do agree.

Anyhow, due to the "people factor" it was decided to have a grace period. Good. After that passed one can still get it back during the redemption period. Good again, but now suddenly there is some obscure justification as to why that costs more.
    You missed what I was saying or you would see it.

12 month registration
    30 day expiry
    45 day redemption <--- unless this period is prohibitively expensive I guarantee you every one of those companies that register thousands of domains just to sit on them or use as advertising landing pages would let their domains expire and not renew them until the last hour of the redemption period.

I does need to be there, because obviously people don't always notice right away that their domain has expired (as is the case here) but I don't have any issue with the cost to redeem a domain being essentially punitive in nature... 'cuz if it weren't, everyone would use it to retain "ownership" of domains for literally months after they've expired.

You missed what I was saying or you would see it.

12 month registration
    30 day expiry
    45 day redemption <--- unless this period is prohibitively expensive I guarantee you every one of those companies that register thousands of domains just to sit on them or use as advertising landing pages would let their domains expire and not renew them until the last hour of the redemption period.
    How does making it prohibitely expensive make it any different? If they want to keep it they will need to renew it anyhow. The redemption fee is just trying to encourage them to act earlier if they already know they want to keep it. It does not influence how and when the domain expires and how long the domain is active or has a listed registrant.

I does need to be there, because obviously people don't always notice right away that their domain has expired (as is the case here) but I don't have any issue with the cost to redeem a domain being essentially punitive in nature... 'cuz if it weren't, everyone would use it to retain "ownership" of domains for literally months after they've expired.
    I'd argue that. First, it doesnt need to be there. If someone lets their domain expire, they did exactly that - let it expire. A grace period is just a goodwill and supporting people's negligence.

Second, they do retain ownership of those domains months (well, actually its just two) after they have expired anyway. The redemption fee only influences whats going to happen after the redemption period.

Again, I am not saying the redemption fee is entirely unfounded. Just that $250 is simply beyond any reasonable penalty fee and in particular to the actual required effort (but maybe someone with more insight could shed some light here).

you could backorder it with namejet

http://www.enom.com/domainsearch/search-backorder.aspx

if it has resale value, there will be competition for the dropping domain.
    Sneaky Little Hobbitses

That, we cant tell without knowing the domain - and even then we cant say it with absolute certainty. Unless of course, someone has access to those lists.

Yes we do not know that for sure. Everything depends on the domain name. Importance of the domain name is an important thing here and OP should decide what to do.
    --> Secure and Reliable Web Hosting Services - cPanel / CloudLinux / Softaculous - Atlanta Data Center

Yes we do not know that for sure. Everything depends on the domain name. Importance of the domain name is an important thing here and OP should decide what to do.
    Unless you manage such a list, you cannot say whether that particular domain is up for re-registration.
    Last edited by zoid; 10-31-2016 at 07:23 AM.

Unless you manage such a list, you cannot say whether that particular domain is up for re-registration.
    You are right. But there is always such a possibility.

You are right. But there is always such a possibility.
    I did not deny the possibility, I denied the certainty.

Good luck with that. There are so many automated systems out there waiting to snatch expired domains that your odds of successfully getting the domain back for just the normal registration fee are effectively nill..

Guess it depends on the popularity of the domain. I've been able to pull-off that trick a few times for clients who had to leave a bad situation. Checking the domain every single day until it was free from the redemption. The clients did know that this method was a huge risk and had a plan B in place.
    ██ WPCYCLE MANAGED WORDPRESS WEB HOSTING ██
    Managed WordPress VPS & Managed WordPress Dedicated VPS Servers
    Optimized • NVMe • SSD • KVM • NGINX • WordPress Brute Force Protection • Daily Offsite Backups
    Email: sales@wpcycle.comFacebook: wpcycle • Twitter: wpcycle

Quote Originally Posted by WPCYCLE View Post
    Guess it depends on the popularity of the domain. I've been able to pull-off that trick a few times for clients who had to leave a bad situation.
    I've had it work maybe 1 in 5 times, myself. Most of the time it's snatched shortly before I remembered to check that day. Even fairly awful domains get grabbed these days, in my experience, and a few really good ones were lost.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    I've had it work maybe 1 in 5 times, myself. Most of the time it's snatched shortly before I remembered to check that day. Even fairly awful domains get grabbed these days, in my experience, and a few really good ones were lost.
    ... and to cap it all off even some registrars keep all expired domains and put them up for sale themselves. :|

In short, if you want the domain name the safest bet is to redeem it and consider the extra cost a valuable lesson regarding inattentiveness.

After that passed one can still get it back during the redemption period. Good again, but now suddenly there is some obscure justification as to why that costs more.
    I just look at it as a service that the registrar provides and charges money for. An "idiot tax" of sorts. Yeah, it's ridiculously priced, but for me at least, in most cases it's still better than losing the domain completely. It was enough to make me set up a cron job that emails me on the first of the month and reminds me to check up on my registrations.