Angry NameCheap Erroneous Domain Suspensions

On October 7th, I registered several domain names with NameCheap. I used valid contact details with the WHOIS server. The registration was done successfully.

On October 10th, I logged in to my NameCheap portal and noticed that there was an alert saying I needed to verify my domain contacts. No big deal, I'm familiar with the process. I requested another email be sent. The email never came. I sat and watched my exim_mainlog file to ensure I wasn't missing it, but alas, it was never reaching my server.

I contacted NameCheap support. We were finally able to get the emails to send over to me. I received a total of 4 emails for 6 domains. One email each for 3 of my domains, and another email that contained a link to verify 3 domains. I clicked all 4 links and received successful confirmation pages that the domains were verified.

After clicking the links, I noticed in my NameCheap portal that the domains were still showing an alert that verification was needed. Since I had a chat still going, I let the person on the other end know. He did some research, then came back and told me that he identified the issue and fixed it. The notice on my portal that verification was needed had disappeared. I was told by a NameCheap chat representative that my domains were now successfully verified and that I was all set - on October 10th. No changes were made to WHOIS information after this.

Flash forward to today - October 23rd... 3 of my domains are now suspended due to contact verification. I contact NameCheap support, who are TOTALLY useless by the way, and all they keep telling me is that "you need to verify the contacts". Well, since the contact email for the domain is part of the domain, now I have to change it.

Here is the email that I received from Namecheap (on October 10th) - this is the original verification email that I clicked to confirm:
    Quote Originally Posted by support@namecheap.com
    Posted on Monday 10th October at 00:12
    As of January 1, 2014, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (ICANN) has mandated that all ICANN accredited registrars begin verifying the WHOIS contact information for all new domain registrations and Registrant contact modifications.

The following change has been made to the Registrant contact information for one or more of your domains and requires verification:

<< My contact info removed >>

Please click the link below to verify the Registrant email address. You have until 2016-10-25 04:11:52. to verify this email address. After this date, the domain(s) associated with this Registrant contact will be suspended until the email address is verified.

Click here to verify your email address

If the above link does not work, please copy-and-paste the following URL into an open web browser to complete the verification process:

http://raa.namecheap.com/ConfirmProf...9-37a7082d2fc7

Once you click the link, your email address will be instantly verified and there is nothing further for you to do on the following domains:

<< My Domains Removed >>

Sincerely,

Namecheap.com
    I now have 2 huge problems:

#1: The email says that "You have until 2016-10-25 04:11:52. to verify this email address.". Even if I hadn't clicked the verification link (which I did), why were my domains suspended 2 days before the email said they would be?

#2: After clicking the link provided (http://raa.namecheap.com/ConfirmProf...9-37a7082d2fc7), I reach a page that says:
    Sorry, this verification link is no longer valid due to one of the following reasons:
    It has already been verified
    It has expired or has been cancelled. Any pending contact change that is cancelled is no longer subject to verification.
    The agent and supervisor refuse to explain why the domains were suspended 2 days before the quoted time. They also refused to check the prior chat I had with NameCheap where the rep confirmed I was all set. They refused to acknowledge that the notice I was seeing on their website, indicating that no further action was required, was sufficient cause to immediately reactivate my domains. They refused to acknowledge that any error was made on their end.

I begrudgingly change the email address on my contact info. I immediately get a verification email. I immediately click the link in the email. Once again, it does not reflect my domain is verified on NameCheap's portal. The representative on the chat can only tell me that he can see that it's verified, that it will take 24-72 hours for my domain to come back online, and that they will contact their developers about it not reflecting on my side.

Finally, ONE of my domains is back online, so that I can verify the others. I have no faith that NameCheap won't screw up again - but they also refuse to let me transfer my domains out since they are less than 60 days old.

No apology. No acceptance of responsibility. No offer of any compensation of any kind.

NameCheap is a pathetic excuse for a registrar and I recommend members avoid them at all costs.
    Last edited by Nick H; 10-23-2016 at 05:25 AM.
    Big things coming soon

Should anyone from NameCheap care to respond or look into this, I've opened a ticket: BYN-273-72527
    Big things coming soon

Been having my own slew of issues there of late, so subscribing to see if anything comes of it other than promises of "we're spending loads of time improving", or "we get lots of positive comments" and "we're moving to our own platform" and so on. A lot of these issues seem to coincide with the launch of that new interface design.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Have had issues with NC, why I don't use currently. Mainly stems from them being a reseller.

Did I get this right? ... You were registering somenew.domain and used newemail@somenew.domain as the contact?
    When the domain does not work, the email does not work and you can't get emails pertaining to managing the domain?

Why would you use a non-existent email address as a contact for a new domain?
    ☆☆☆ Cool Domain Names - DomainSale.link☆☆☆

Quote Originally Posted by GORF View Post
    Did I get this right? ... You were registering somenew.domain and used newemail@somenew.domain as the contact?
    When the domain does not work, the email does not work and you can't get emails pertaining to managing the domain?

Where did you get that from?

The OP actually received the emails, but the verification did not seem to have worked on the registrar's side.

Quote Originally Posted by zoid View Post
    Where did you get that from?

The OP actually received the emails, but the verification did not seem to have worked on the registrar's side.
    From here:

"Flash forward to today - October 23rd... 3 of my domains are now suspended due to contact verification. I contact NameCheap support, who are TOTALLY useless by the way, and all they keep telling me is that "you need to verify the contacts". Well, since the contact email for the domain is part of the domain, now I have to change it."

You could register a new domain with an email address of that new domain as the contact. The verification email is not sent the instant the domain is registered. The domain will be active right away. You can then set up hosting and email service for it. Finally, you could receive the verification email at the new address and follow through.

The OP did not go into detail about that, so I asked "Did I get this right? ... "

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    Been having my own slew of issues there of late, so subscribing to see if anything comes of it other than promises of "we're spending loads of time improving", or "we get lots of positive comments" and "we're moving to our own platform" and so on. A lot of these issues seem to coincide with the launch of that new interface design.
    I'm with Bear 100% on this one. They shoved their new interface down our throats with hail mary's on how great it is and all it's been is a disaster. It's the worst interface of all the registrars that we've had to use in the internet. They don't listen to anyone but their 1000's of no name reviewers and have done nothing to improve it to amount to anything, and they seem to care less whether you like it of not, you're stuck with it bubba.
    Last edited by bruc; 10-23-2016 at 12:47 PM.

When I originally registered the domains, I used a personal contact email. No verification email was ever sent to the personal email address. Several days after registering the domains, after getting my email configuration setup, I changed the contacts on the domain to match the contact email on the domain itself - which then existed. As I noted in my post, I successfully completed the verification process AND was told by a NameCheap live chat agent that he could see the process was done and that I was all set.

This isn't my first rodeo.
    Big things coming soon

I also feel that it is important to note that NameCheap is now an ICANN Accredited registrar, but is not in compliance with their accreditation agreement.

https://www.icann.org/resources/page...-2013-05-03-en states:
    The 2013 Registrar Accreditation Agreement (RAA) requires ICANN-accredited registrars to provide a description of their customer service handling processes to registrants regarding their registrar services. This includes a description of the processes for submitting complaints and resolving disputes involving the registrar's services.
    I have asked repeatedly for this information so that I may file a formal complaint, and they have refused to provide the information. They only send me to their legal agreements on their website, which do not contain this information, and refuse to cite specifically where I can find this information. I have now filed a grievance against them with ICANN as well.
    Last edited by Nick H; 10-23-2016 at 04:23 PM.
    Big things coming soon

Quote Originally Posted by Nick H View Post
    When I originally registered the domains, I used a personal contact email. No verification email was ever sent to the personal email address.
    And this was via Namecheap? Weird. I've had to verify every new domain registered there recently, both mine and clients.
    I have now filed a grievance against them with ICANN as well.
    Uh oh...better get off my butt and finally move my domains in case things go (more) pear shaped.

And this was via Namecheap? Weird. I've had to verify every new domain registered there recently, both mine and clients.
    I also thought this was weird. But alas, I was changing the contacts anyways, so I didn't call much question into it. The reason for my original chat with them was that I wasn't getting the verification email on my new email either, and it took several attempts of the tech reattempting for them to finally come through.

Uh oh...better get off my butt and finally move my domains in case things go (more) pear shaped.
    Oh how I wish I could! They refuse to let me transfer out because the domains are less than 60 days old. I want nothing more than to get as far away from them as possible.

Their approach to this situation has been horrible. This should have been "We see that we made a mistake. We will fix it right away. We're very sorry."

Instead, it was hours of downtime for me, hours of inconvenience/frustration to me, and hours on their support chat trying to get it fixed.

They gave me the runaround. They still refuse to acknowledge their error. They still refuse to make a suitable offer of compensation.

So now - we will deal with ICANN grievances and, first thing tomorrow morning, I'll be calling my attorney to see what we need to do next. This is a clear-cut case of negligence on their part and I will see to it that they are held accountable.

It should be no surprise they hold an F rating at the BBB: http://www.bbb.org/losangelessilicon...es-ca-13216498
    Big things coming soon

It should be no surprise they hold an F rating at the BBB: http://www.bbb.org/losangelessilicon...es-ca-13216498
    The "web design" category is odd, as is the employee count.
    Business started: 01/01/2009
    Number of Employees
    Business Category
    Web Design

... This isn't my first rodeo.
    Then you should have expected a verification email sent to the original email address used during registration and not change anything until you know the name is yours to use.

Then you should have expected a verification email sent to the original email address used during registration and not change anything until you know the name is yours to use.
    I paid for the domain, it was mine to use from that moment. NameCheap failed to send a verification email - which is why I contacted them 3 days later to investigate. I changed the contact email at the advice of their support, received the verification email, clicked the link to verify the email, and was told by NameCheap support that I was all set. 13 days later they decided to suspend my domains. The fault is ENTIRELY on them.
    Big things coming soon

Still having problems with them! I got one domain reactivated (the one domain that has the email for all the others) and asked NameCheap to re-send a verification link.

They just sent another link to verify the domains and, lo and behold, I click the link and it says:
    Sorry, this verification link is no longer valid due to one of the following reasons:
    It has already been verified
    It has expired or has been cancelled. Any pending contact change that is cancelled is no longer subject to verification.
    It is terrifying that their system is this broken and dysfunctional!
    Big things coming soon

We had issues of domains name servers being wiped out right after they switch. We would go back in and fix them and a few hours later it would be set back at default.

We have now moved all our domain names away. We have plans to get ourself set up so we no longer have to mess with a 3rd party any more.
    THG - Ingenuity Cloud Services

50+ Data Centers - 35Tbps+ Network Capacity - 130,000+ Customers Worldwide

Quote Originally Posted by CentexHosting View Post
    We had issues of domains name servers being wiped out right after they switch. We would go back in and fix them and a few hours later it would be set back at default.

We have now moved all our domain names away. We have plans to get ourself set up so we no longer have to mess with a 3rd party any more.
    We also had that same problem.

I paid for the domain, it was mine to use from that moment...
    Not quite so simple.

It is yours to use with the understanding you will verify the contact info and upon failure to do so, in a certain amount of time, lose the right to use it.

That's how it works.
    That's what you agreed to when registering it.

Maybe they didn't send the email, maybe you didn't receive it. No one will ever know. The fact is, you muddied the waters further by changing the contact email address before verifying it. You claim to know how it's done, but you didn't follow directions.

I have seen too many times (with different registrars) emails for EPP codes not making it through for unknown reasons. I unlock 4 names, all with identical contact details, and have the codes sent. 3 out of 4 codes arrive. Go back, click resend, wait ... check the mail server that I run ... wait ... Somehow multiple copies show up a day later. It never fails, that's the one you REALLY needed to transfer!

Clearly you didn't read my posts.

It is yours to use with the understanding you will verify the contact info and upon failure to do so, in a certain amount of time, lose the right to use it.
    The email they sent me said I had until October 25th to verify the contact details. They suspended me on October 23rd - 2 days before that "certain amount of time" that you reference. So even if I hadn't verified my contacts (which I did on October 10th), they still suspended me 2 days before they should have. You seem to have missed that part.

The other problem is - I DID do the verification on October 10th. I confirmed all the verification links that they sent me. Their support acknowledged and confirmed that I had completed the verification process and told me I was all set - the other point that you seem to keep missing. You seem to keep missing that part too!

Maybe they didn't send the email, maybe you didn't receive it. No one will ever know. The fact is, you muddied the waters further by changing the contact email address before verifying it. You claim to know how it's done, but you didn't follow directions.
    I changed the contact emails AT THE RECOMMENDATION OF THEIR SUPPORT. Did you miss that part too? Because I said it a couple of times.

Tell me how I "muddied the waters" by following the recommendation of their support. Please. I'd love for you to explain your logic.

After following their recommendation, it took SEVERAL ATTEMPTS for them to actually get the emails to me. I was actively watching my exim_mainlog and the emails were never hitting my server (mentioned that too--did you miss that part as well?). Once the emails arrived finally, I clicked the links and verified the contacts. Their staff confirmed I was all set.

Please, if you're not going to read the entire scenario, then go somewhere else.
    Last edited by Nick H; 10-24-2016 at 12:43 AM.
    Big things coming soon

Nick,

Our team has been in touch and I am monitoring this particular incident to ensure it is addressed to your satisfaction.

Matt
    Matthew Russell | Namecheap
    Twitter: @mattdrussell

www.easywp.com - True Managed WordPress, made easy

Quote Originally Posted by mdrussell View Post
    Nick,

Our team has been in touch and I am monitoring this particular incident to ensure it is addressed to your satisfaction.

Matt
    If by "in touch", you mean... have provided no meaningful information at all... and continue to provide no help as to a final resolution of this issue, then yes, you'd be correct.

I'm sure that nothing will actually happen until the grievance I filed with ICANN becomes an issue. Still waiting on a phone # for your legal department as well. My attorney is very interested in speaking to them regarding compensation for damages incurred by your negligence.
    Big things coming soon