IPv6, is it on our doorstep?

Hi all,

Well I think this is an important issue for us web hosts, and a topic that hasn’t been discussed here much (correct me if I’m wrong :-)). Anyway, I don’t know much about it and was wondering if some people would help out in answering some of the questions I have.

* Are we able to actually use it now? Is the internet ready and/or big networks like Rackshack, Rackspace?
    * Is IPv6 backward compatible?
    * When do you think it will be in full swing? As in, when will it become the standard or commonly used?
    * Since there are so many combinations of addresses (several quadrillions?), will there be a database like arin to manage them? Or do you think it will be more like a dns system?
    * Is there any prediction as to when the IPv4 ip's will run out?

Also if anyone knows a tutorial to setup a network that would be great to read!
    Off Topic Web Forum - A forum for talking about anything!!
    N.Z. Webmaster Community - Are you from New Zealand? Well signup to our forum!!!!

You can use IPv6 right now but it requires IPv4-IPv6 tunneling to make it work..

No one really knows when IPv4 will be phased out completely but I'd say 5-7 more years....

Okay, so say i host a few sites, I setup my servers to assign each site an ip (the new ipv6 ips), could they take advantage of that or would it be for only my network/server?

Can browsers support ipv6? Do you know any sites using it?
    Off Topic Web Forum - A forum for talking about anything!!
    N.Z. Webmaster Community - Are you from New Zealand? Well signup to our forum!!!!

Smile

I don't think IPv4 would be phased out completely. IPv6 is an alternative to the finite IPv4. My company received our IPv6 allocation from ARIN last year and we are still using the IPv4's, IPv6 testing is underway though.

PhilG, like what the Prohacker said IPv4-IPv6 tunneling. Try asking the folks at Hurricane Electric, I think they are using IPv6 tunneling.