Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Starting own hosting business.. How i can provide fastest web hosting service?

I just purchased dedicated server from liquidweb.

Here is configuration

Intel Xeon E3-1271 v3, 4-core
    16Gb RAM
    750GB Raid 1 SSD
    2gbps DDoS protection
    100mbps uplink
    (Include cloudlinux and whm/cpanel)

I am thinking to sell web hosting account. So i want know what things or technology i need to add so i can provide fastest web hosting service for my clients.
    And will there any difference come if i switch uplink to 1gbps from 100mbps.
    How many client you prefer on above server..?

Thanks

you would need cpanel and whm. along with whmcs. about how many people can go on that server that we can not give you an answer for. every site requires certain resources and we wouldn't be able to take a guest because we dont know what your plans would look like.

i would also like to state if you dont know what software is needed do you know how to manage a sever if not then i highly suggest try hire a company to do this for you. other wise dont do it.

are you wanting to set this up as a shared, reseller or VPS server.

Right now I would not switch the uplink. right now you would be better off upping the ram. Also is this their cloud dedicated or a real dedicated box.

Is the raid software or hardware
    THG - Ingenuity Cloud Services

50+ Data Centers - 35Tbps+ Network Capacity - 130,000+ Customers Worldwide

You....

Quote Originally Posted by mylikes786 View Post
    purchased dedicated server from liquidweb.

Then...

I am thinking to sell web hosting account.

Do you have a business plan or a plan on what you planned to do with the server..and do you have money put aside to cover this server for a year while you're building the business and then looking for customers?

Any server at this point will be really fast. There's not going to be many customers or load on it, so focus more on your margins and how to market your services. Only focus on a beefy server once you actually need one, and/or you notice slowdowns. But going big right off the bat will eat into your cash pile

Later on, you can look into server-wide caching, CDN's, different web server software, and other things to speed up hosting on a loaded server. IMO, not worth the time investment since you're just starting.

Quote Originally Posted by SSD-Greg View Post
    you would need cpanel and whm. along with whmcs. about how many people can go on that server that we can not give you an answer for. every site requires certain resources and we wouldn't be able to take a guest because we dont know what your plans would look like.

i would also like to state if you dont know what software is needed do you know how to manage a sever if not then i highly suggest try hire a company to do this for you. other wise dont do it.
    I want make normal plan like other similar host ipage, bluehost etc.. I can also limit resource for each user from cloudlinux.. SO now can you tell me estimate about how many people can go on that server
    p.s
    Liquiedweb server are fully manged server

Quote Originally Posted by CentexHosting View Post
    are you wanting to set this up as a shared, reseller or VPS server.

Right now I would not switch the uplink. right now you would be better off upping the ram. Also is this their cloud dedicated or a real dedicated box.

Is the raid software or hardware
    This is fully dedicated server. And i am going to sell shared account.
    Upping ram will perform much better instead upping uplink..?

You can install cloudlinux on any VPS/Cloud host that offers Cent 6/7 and allows you control over full or para virtualization. You're wasting your money. Why not start off with a $10/month node running cloudlinux with 1 core and 1-2gb of memory and work your way up from there? If you need cpanel you'll need slightly more memory and probably a $20/month node running cloudlinux with 2-4gb of memory. With a vps / cloud offering you can just upgrade your node when you need to. Your server has 4 cores and 16gb of memory. With a cloud offering you could run 20 cores and 128gb of memory per node. If the physical hardware you're hosting your node on has a failure your node will simply be restarted on another physical machine with little downtime. With your own hardware you're looking at hours of downtime.

IMO, it sounds like you impulsively started a business without a business plan.

IMO, you should do some research. figure out how you will differentiate yourself. figure out how you will attract clients. run the numbers. figure out your expenses. how much you will need to operate for a year+ while you build your customer base. etc, etc, etc.

I want make normal plan like other similar host ipage, bluehost etc.. I can also limit resource for each user from cloudlinux.. SO now can you tell me estimate about how many people can go on that server
    p.s
    Liquiedweb server are fully manged server
    Do you have a business plan already? Seems like you don't.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

And will there any difference come if i switch uplink to 1gbps from 100mbps.
    Since you currently do not have any clients on the server, no it will not. Is there any reason why you are hopping right into a dedicated server right out of the gate?
    Looking for an awesome VPS Offer? CLICK HERE

"Knowing is not enough, we must apply. Willing is not enough, we must do." – Bruce Lee

Quote Originally Posted by sensel View Post
    You can install cloudlinux on any VPS/Cloud host that offers Cent 6/7 and allows you control over full or para virtualization. You're wasting your money. Why not start off with a $10/month node running cloudlinux with 1 core and 1-2gb of memory and work your way up from there? If you need cpanel you'll need slightly more memory and probably a $20/month node running cloudlinux with 2-4gb of memory. With a vps / cloud offering you can just upgrade your node when you need to. Your server has 4 cores and 16gb of memory. With a cloud offering you could run 20 cores and 128gb of memory per node. If the physical hardware you're hosting your node on has a failure your node will simply be restarted on another physical machine with little downtime. With your own hardware you're looking at hours of downtime.

IMO, it sounds like you impulsively started a business without a business plan.

IMO, you should do some research. figure out how you will differentiate yourself. figure out how you will attract clients. run the numbers. figure out your expenses. how much you will need to operate for a year+ while you build your customer base. etc, etc, etc.

Linode server are not managed - I dont have time + enough knowledge so i need managed server so i can concentrate on marketing and sales

+ No DDoS protection -

And i am sure i will get easily 50+ client in first month.. (I have good marketing stragity)
    If i will see some load on my server i will upgrade it or purchase new..

SO i dont think there is any benefit to go with cloud storage rather then dedicated server..

Quite frankly I pray to God that you plan on only running this business from a management / administrative position and plan on hiring someone to manage the server. Please don't take my comments the wrong way or that I am telling you not to try, because I think if you do this the right way and dedicate a lot of time you could be very successful. With that being said, it is bad enough inexperienced people buy reseller accounts and sell hosting only to fail at providing support to their customers, or understanding how the technology works, but it is downright scary hearing someone buy a dedicated server and talk about selling web hosting if they don't even know how to setup the server. What happens when a client needs you to install a feature? What if you mess up the server? Who will you call? Have you thought about server security?

While customers have a responsibility to protect their own data, we as providers need to be dependable and reliable. Hard drives fail, humans make mistakes, but ignorance has no place in the web hosting industry. Not when there are 1000's of other providers that can do it the right way. Make sure you form your business with personal asset protection in mind!
    Last edited by Kipplex-Chase; 07-23-2016 at 12:56 PM.

If i will see some load on my server i will upgrade it or purchase new

This statement alone....

1. Cancel the account
    2. MAKE A PLAN
    3. Understand business and then understand the hosting business

If there's a load on the server, you don't upgrade the server...all you have done is upgrade the load.

The comments are from those with experience. When I worked in music...had a studio in my bedroom while still working 9 to 5. Then moved it to the living room. Then to a small store. Then quit my job and moved the studio to a larger store shared with other businesses that worked alongside us. In no way could I have jumped to large retail space in the early stages. Crawling...baby steps...walking...running.

You're running without feet !!!

Quote Originally Posted by WPCYCLE View Post
    This statement alone....

1. Cancel the account
    2. MAKE A PLAN
    3. Understand business and then understand the hosting business

If there's a load on the server, you don't upgrade the server...all you have done is upgrade the load.

The comments are from those with experience. When I worked in music...had a studio in my bedroom while still working 9 to 5. Then moved it to the living room. Then to a small store. Then quit my job and moved the studio to a larger store shared with other businesses that worked alongside us. In no way could I have jumped to large retail space in the early stages. Crawling...baby steps...walking...running.

You're running without feet !!!
    I am going out on a limb that by "baby steps" you don't necessarily mean get a reseller account then vps then dedicated or cloud, but rather before jumping right into buying servers and stuff the OP needs a plan, knowledge of the business, and capital.

Quote Originally Posted by Kipplex-Chase View Post
    I am going out on a limb that by "baby steps" you don't necessarily mean get a reseller account then vps then dedicated or cloud, but rather before jumping right into buying servers and stuff the OP needs a plan, knowledge of the business, and capital.
    Yes.

I wrote one answer but then realized you weren't the OP

Really it should be a plan first, or plan to fail, but no one needs a server from the start. I followed the reseller -> vps-> server route, and it took a few years. Unless the OP has a line of people waiting...no server.

Yes.

I wrote one answer but then realized you weren't the OP

Really it should be a plan first, or plan to fail, but no one needs a server from the start. I followed the reseller -> vps-> server route, and it took a few years. Unless the OP has a line of people waiting...no server.
    You are right, no one "needs" a server to start, but that doesn't mean that going the easy / cheap route (reselling) is a proper way to do it. This is a community forum of people all doing the same thing more or less so I think we owe it to each other to give good advise for the better of the market. If I was interested in making as much money as possible without any regard for consumers and the market as a whole, I would have suggested a long time ago that my company offers reseller hosting, and I would be on here talking about how great it is.

Reseller hosting is for kiddie hosts period. With that in mind, pleanty of kiddie hosts do become successful once they mature, but that doesn't mean it is a good way to go. I am here to learn from others and give my own advise to others.

You are right, no one "needs" a server to start, but that doesn't mean that going the easy / cheap route (reselling) is a proper way to do it. This is a community forum of people all doing the same thing more or less so I think we owe it to each other to give good advise for the better of the market. If I was interested in making as much money as possible without any regard for consumers and the market as a whole, I would have suggested a long time ago that my company offers reseller hosting, and I would be on here talking about how great it is.

Reseller hosting is for kiddie hosts period. With that in mind, pleanty of kiddie hosts do become successful once they mature, but that doesn't mean it is a good way to go. I am here to learn from others and give my own advise to others.
    I can agree and disagree with some of what you're saying.

Not all kiddie hosts are train wrecks. I always use music references in hosting because the two are extremely similar on how the market reacts...just different end products.

Bed room studio -> Reseller
    Living Room studio -> VPS
    Retail Space studio -> Dedicated

During the bedroom stage, client knew what to expect. It wasn't where Rolling Stones or Prince would record (although many of them have their own basement studios for ideas), but the quality was good. When the side business paid for itself and became a full-time job, then it was time to move. No different than a Reseller account. Many designers have Resellers accounts, and many recommend as such so accounts are separate. They can either have multiple reseller accounts, or get a few VPS's. I was doing this years ago. A lot of clients or customers were (and a few are) still using html websites from their previous designer of 10-20 years ago. Once I went down the road of WordPress, I realized that I had to upgrade.

In terms of maturity...yes this industry allows for some nonsense to occur, but it depends on the person. I had studio producers and engineers that were 17 and 15 that I could leave the country and come back with no issues, no money missing, and nothing damaged. They just loved working on music and loved being there.

A reseller account...maybe $35 a month (account, whmcs). Anyone could do it which is a flaw. I always joke how after 10 posts on here, one is a "certified" host. I see it all the time. 10 threads that I was in with comments by the same person...less than 20 words...all 2 minutes apart. BOOM. Now they can "advertise". In music, some resources will state you have to be in business at least 2 years, and show proof of that. Not financial records, but proof that you have done shows. That you understand the industry. Now...shows you have a billion views and subscribers on youtube. That doesn't mean the person knows what they're doing...but that's a separate conversation. My previous business required a few thousand to get started, and many more to build it to when it was ready to move, which also required $$$ since were now paying for a two level retail space. The hosting business....when I had a reseller account, the people using it were my clients. The public website wasn't that great and only a reference that I existed. All the clients..I either knew them from previous business or from a referral. When I offered regular hosting to just regular customers, I was still on a reseller and transitioned to a VPS. This was years ago on HG when it was still good and slowly started falling apart...before EIG was known to people.

I can agree and disagree with some of what you're saying.

Not all kiddie hosts are train wrecks. I always use music references in hosting because the two are extremely similar on how the market reacts...just different end products.

Bed room studio -> Reseller
    Living Room studio -> VPS
    Retail Space studio -> Dedicated

During the bedroom stage, client knew what to expect. It wasn't where Rolling Stones or Prince would record (although many of them have their own basement studios for ideas), but the quality was good. When the side business paid for itself and became a full-time job, then it was time to move. No different than a Reseller account. Many designers have Resellers accounts, and many recommend as such so accounts are separate. They can either have multiple reseller accounts, or get a few VPS's. I was doing this years ago. A lot of clients or customers were (and a few are) still using html websites from their previous designer of 10-20 years ago. Once I went down the road of WordPress, I realized that I had to upgrade.

In terms of maturity...yes this industry allows for some nonsense to occur, but it depends on the person. I had studio producers and engineers that were 17 and 15 that I could leave the country and come back with no issues, no money missing, and nothing damaged. They just loved working on music and loved being there.

A reseller account...maybe $35 a month (account, whmcs). Anyone could do it which is a flaw. I always joke how after 10 posts on here, one is a "certified" host. I see it all the time. 10 threads that I was in with comments by the same person...less than 20 words...all 2 minutes apart. BOOM. Now they can "advertise". In music, some resources will state you have to be in business at least 2 years, and show proof of that. Not financial records, but proof that you have done shows. That you understand the industry. Now...shows you have a billion views and subscribers on youtube. That doesn't mean the person knows what they're doing...but that's a separate conversation. My previous business required a few thousand to get started, and many more to build it to when it was ready to move, which also required $$$ since were now paying for a two level retail space. The hosting business....when I had a reseller account, the people using it were my clients. The public website wasn't that great and only a reference that I existed. All the clients..I either knew them from previous business or from a referral. When I offered regular hosting to just regular customers, I was still on a reseller and transitioned to a VPS. This was years ago on HG when it was still good and slowly started falling apart...before EIG was known to people.
    My main issues with reseller hosting are as follows.

1. Lets pretend Bob runs a company called Bob's hosting, and got a reseller account from Hostgator. John is a business owner and he has a shared hosting account with Hostgator. He realizes how bad their support and how slow their servers are, and then he learns about how "amazing" Bob's Hosting is from a forum called Web Hosting Talk. He goes on the advertising sections and see's Bob posted a coupon which will save John 10% off his hosting for the next year so he decides to switch to Bob's hosting. Little did he know, not only does he now have another shared hosting account on the same bad servers, but now he has to wait probably twice as long for support.

2. This next point sort of segways from my previous point regarding support. If a reseller needs work done on the server, he must rely on his hosting provider to make changes vs having a dedicated machine, he can do everything himself.

3. When you order reseller hosting, you are essentially giving money to your competitors who are selling the same product as you. Instead, you could get a dedicated server from a company such as ColoCrossing which does colocation and dedicated servers, thus you are getting a product you need, helping another business in the hosting company, and they aren't your competitor.

So no... Reselling or even getting a VPS simply is not the right way to go about it in my opinion. At the end of the day, it is a personal decision but I couldn't sleep at night knowing that is the extent of service I am giving my customers. Too many people think that you are supposed to turn a profit within the first couple months and that is why they get a cheap reseller account and load it up with anyone that will visit their website. Not a realistic, professional, or safe way to go about it.

My main issues with reseller hosting are as follows.

1. Lets pretend Bob runs a company called Bob's hosting, and got a reseller account from Hostgator. John is a business owner and he has a shared hosting account with Hostgator. He realizes how bad their support and how slow their servers are, and then he learns about how "amazing" Bob's Hosting is from a forum called Web Hosting Talk. He goes on the advertising sections and see's Bob posted a coupon which will save John 10% off his hosting for the next year so he decides to switch to Bob's hosting. Little did he know, not only does he now have another shared hosting account on the same bad servers, but now he has to wait probably twice as long for support.

2. This next point sort of segways from my previous point regarding support. If a reseller needs work done on the server, he must rely on his hosting provider to make changes vs having a dedicated machine, he can do everything himself.

3. When you order reseller hosting, you are essentially giving money to your competitors who are selling the same product as you. Instead, you could get a dedicated server from a company such as ColoCrossing which does colocation and dedicated servers, thus you are getting a product you need, helping another business in the hosting company, and they aren't your competitor.

So no... Reselling or even getting a VPS simply is not the right way to go about it in my opinion. At the end of the day, it is a personal decision but I couldn't sleep at night knowing that is the extent of service I am giving my customers. Too many people think that you are supposed to turn a profit within the first couple months and that is why they get a cheap reseller account and load it up with anyone that will visit their website. Not a realistic, professional, or safe way to go about it.
    What you're saying makes sense, but this is how I can counter-argue that;

1. The issue is Bob. I was Bob. When I was with HG, things were smooth and the Baby account still had limits. If a client had an issue, I would send HG a ticket and it was resolved. Not long later, if a client had an issue...they would email me and I would fix it. I knew that my service was reliant on HG's service....so if things were slow with them, it made me look slow. Yes it's a bit of chameleon system, but what isn't. The amount of things bought in stores come from the same manufacture. If people are posting amazing things about Bob's service, and things slow down at HG, then it's up to Bob to move to maintain the integrity of his company. I did this some years ago. The company I chose for VPS's, support answered my issues within a few minutes, and fixed it just as fast. A win for myself and the clients.

2. Reseller, designer, server management...none are even in the same playing field. The skills needed are drastically different. I could go on for hours on the amount of websites I had to fix from previous designers, but if a desi. Do you think I would trust server management from such a person. Even server security and WordPress security...two different things. Some designers just design and have no time to manage a server, even if management is included. In music, it's always recommend that the person that mixes the music (basically does the work of recording this song (instruments, signers, arrangements)) should not be the person that masters the music (final equalization before it goes to radio or public). The final person's ears are trained to modify the 1st person's work, OR point out issues and sent back to correct them. I could not manage a server years ago, so such advise would be more dangerous than helpful. You're basically telling the OP (and others reading this) to just jump into the server first.

3. This is pretty much how 98% of the planet works and there's no way around that. Unless we go back 200 years, there's no way around this. Smaller companies that sell phone mobile service, internet service, cable packages are still buying them from the main provider. They do so in bulk. In order for them to be a true competitor, they would need a few trillions of dollars to build an infrastructure that already exists. That's bad business. Stores do this all the time. One store I worked in rented a small corner space to a smaller company. That small company did extremely well and soon needed more space within the store. By your analogy, that small company should have just rented a whole store to start, which would have made them bankrupt from the start. That's bad business. I see it all the time. People who follow the "go big" rule and burn almost $100,000 in 6 months. Maybe for you this is pocket change, but even people I know personally where $100,000 was not an issue, burning through due to bad business moves still hurt them. For others, that would cost them their home and still leave them in debt. How is this a good thing?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? The ones who followed the reseller timeline...one example....a dancer I worked with. We did shows and used space throughout the city. Years later by sharing spaces she and her husband now own a large building where they now have a dance studio that operates almost 24 hours. There's no way a small business could buy a building early on...and why would they.

I looked at Colo pricing...for what I would have needed from them at that point in time, plus other things needed, I would have been in business debt from the 1st month. That doesn't make sense at all. It's more than what was needed. Businesses shut down for that same reason.

Maybe you're trained in server management, but not everyone is. Some server "management" companies cannot manage servers...so everyone telling the OP to not get a server and then saying to do such...that's bad business. You realize the OP said if there's a load, throw some $$$ at the issue and get a bigger server. No concern about fixing the issue.

OP, sorry I kind of hijacked your post and got ahead of myself. Last comment I want to make is that this industry is so oversaturated I just can't imagine how selling the same service 100 other hosting providers sell benefits the market in any way. All it does is shoots prices lower making it harder for providers to make a return and still provide quality service. So yes, my believe still stands that there is no reason you can't spend $100 - $200 per month on a server, cpanel, billing software, to start a business. If you don't have enough money to have a recurring monthly balance of $200 for the forseable future, this may just not be the market for you!

OP, sorry I kind of hijacked your post and got ahead of myself. Last comment I want to make is that this industry is so oversaturated I just can't imagine how selling the same service 100 other hosting providers sell benefits the market in any way. All it does is shoots prices lower making it harder for providers to make a return and still provide quality service. So yes, my believe still stands that there is no reason you can't spend $100 - $200 per month on a server, cpanel, billing software, to start a business. If you don't have enough money to have a recurring monthly balance of $200 for the forseable future, this may just not be the market for you!
    Why do you insist that someone should get a server. Your statements have no basis as to why they should...just that they should.

Also....if the OP gets a server and sells hosting...how is that different than all the other companies selling hosting?!?!? There's not 100's of companies selling hosting...there's thousands. In one data center alone, hundreds of companies are selling hosting. No different than any other data centre, no different than a reseller.

Again...if the OP shows evidence of not being able to run a business or manage a server, how is convincing them to get a server a good idea?!?!?! Go back to post #1 and read it a few times and let it sink in.

Why do you insist that someone should get a server. Your statements have no basis as to why they should...just that they should.

Also....if the OP gets a server and sells hosting...how is that different than all the other companies selling hosting?!?!? There's not 100's of companies selling hosting...there's thousands. In one data center alone, hundreds of companies are selling hosting. No different than any other data centre, no different than a reseller.

Again...if the OP shows evidence of not being able to run a business or manage a server, how is convincing them to get a server a good idea?!?!?! Go back to post #1 and read it a few times and let it sink in.
    I was referencing 100's (possibly thousands) reselling from the same company, not the entire market. The difference between multiple customers selling from their own servers in a DC vs doing reseller hosting is when you run your own server, you have your own configuration, software, and hardware. Resellers are all selling the resources of the same machine.

I was referencing 100's (possibly thousands) reselling from the same company, not the entire market. The difference between multiple customers selling from their own servers in a DC vs doing reseller hosting is when you run your own server, you have your own configuration, software, and hardware. Resellers are all selling the resources of the same machine.
    This we both know, but...

run your own server
    Not everyone knows how to run their own server...even if it's managed. Companies invest in race car drivers and give them a car to drive. Going out an buying a race car doesn't make you a race car driver. You're just a person with a cool race car. That's it.

This is the WEB HOSTING INDUSTRY. It is absolutely disgraceful if someone is willing to take others money and manage their data if they don't know how to manage a server. Money is not an easy thing to come by, especially in this market. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication. Are you suggesting you are running a proper web hosting company just because you know how to make a cPanel account in WHM? That is laughable.

Were now talking in CAPS. Ok....

This is the WEB HOSTING INDUSTRY.
    Thank you for clearing that up.

It is absolutely disgraceful if someone is willing to take others money and manage their data if they don't know how to manage a server.
    This applies to any business industry. One client, in her field she's done her events for 25 years. Others wake up thinking they can do it too with no groundwork. One, maybe two events...done. In music, the studios that survived were the ones with people who for the most part were self-trained and loved music. Those that thought they could do it too gathered up at least $50,000...open a studio...shut down in 6 months.

Again, this person has no idea what to do with the server, but your arguments are for them to get the server. That's the problem I have with your statements. Were both in the same industry, so we both know what's up.

Money is not an easy thing to come by, especially in this market. It takes a lot of hard work and dedication.
    As with any industry.

Are you suggesting you are running a proper web hosting company just because you know how to make a cPanel account in WHM?
    No.

Hosting is just the end-product of business...just like music, automobiles, food..any products or service that can be sold.

Anyone that can click on WHM icon is not a web hosting company, but yet I started out this way and I am still here. Am I an exception to your rule...and when did you regulate what can or cannot be done within the industry.

Yes there's ethics involved, but guess what, not everyone follows them.

Let's go by your rules.

Step #1
    Invest In servers and start a web hosting company. Great!!!

Step #2
    Gain customers, give them good service, get some reviews. Now were cooking!!!

Step #3
    a) Suddenly extort customers claiming that data center fees went up and they should helpful in pay extra on invoices.

OR (which has happened over and over and over again on here)

b) Shut down with notice and leave customers stranded

Background story, the "host" was shutdown due to non-payment of server fees. SO AGAIN, TELL ME WHY A HOST IS A PROPER HOST WHEN THEN CAN FOLLOW ALL YOUR STEPS AND STILL SHUT DOWN AND LEAVE CUSTOMERS WITHOUT THEIR WEBSITES WITH NO EXPLANATION?????????????????????????

How many times has this happened? They end up being the biggest threads on here that go on for days. Again, following your rules of getting a server first.

While writing this, it just reminded me of a 3 year train-wreck of a host. AGAIN FOLLOWING YOUR RULES, this host invested in servers and gave customers a wack of issues with the service. When the customers pointed out such issues, the "host" blamed support, blamed support, blamed the provider, blamed whmcs, blamed cpanel, blamed wht, blamed a business partner that didn't exist. Again, how did investing in servers make this a valid company?!?!?!!?

You are confusing resellers with ethics. There's a ton of Resellers that exist and have given their customers excellent service for years. Going back to your Bob reference, the trick is knowing that the service given to Bob is a reflection of Bob and not of the provider. Bob's customers will complain to Bob if something goes wrong...not to the provider, which in turn Bob has to complain to the provider. As I said, I was Bob. When my clients had issues and I saw such issues came from HG, I left HG. HG made me look bad, so I aligned myself with a good provider which in turn gave my clients good service. It's just common sense which seems to be lost in this thread. Years later I have servers. Not something I could have done years ago or needed to do. Again, bad business advice.

That is laughable.
    As is this thread. I'm all for old school and following how things used to be, but were in 2016, not 1997. Arguing with someone who agreed with 90% of your points for you to give me a lesson in hosting IN CAPS because you're Hell-Bent of hating resellers...I don't even know what to say to that. I will agree that a majority of sellers are inexperienced and cause all sorts of issues which is why I never offered Reseller accounts, but to just hate all of them and claim that the industry must follow your rules...that's laughable.

Read post #1, #6, #7, and #11 and tell me why they should have a server. Now look at this;

Quite frankly I pray to God that you plan on only running this business from a management / administrative position and plan on hiring someone to manage the server. Please don't take my comments the wrong way or that I am telling you not to try, because I think if you do this the right way and dedicate a lot of time you could be very successful.
    It's no wonder were arguing over this foolish point. You took both sides of the fence to begin with and kept trying to back-peddle one side of that fence. You can't do that. Take a side.

With that being said, it is bad enough inexperienced people buy reseller accounts and sell hosting only to fail at providing support to their customers, or understanding how the technology works, but it is downright scary hearing someone buy a dedicated server and talk about selling web hosting if they don't even know how to setup the server. What happens when a client needs you to install a feature? What if you mess up the server? Who will you call? Have you thought about server security?
    You jumped to reseller while also complaining about someone being inexperienced buying a server, while arguing they should get a server. Right..left...up...down...which is it?!?!?!?!?

ignorance has no place in the web hosting industry.
    Ignorance has no place in any industry and goes both ways.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast