SOLUTION: Website displays fine everywhere except IE

I took over management of a site and found it displaying well everywhere EXCEPT in Internet Explorer. Other sites on the same server displayed in IE fine, and the issue went across ISPs and to different computers.

Trial and error (deleting the web page code until it displayed) didn't help so I looked elsewhere. The problem was found in the .htaccess file. If you have a similar issue, try removing any or all of these lines from .htaccess:
    AddType text/html .shtml .htm
    addhandler server-parsed .shtml .htm
    AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml .htm

Problem solved!

This is posted here in the hopes it helps someone else, and saves them a couple of hours troubleshooting the issue.
    -----------------------------------
    AmeriWeb Hosting
    One Stop Business Solutions
    AmeriWeb Hosting

Thanks for the heads up, @robertk1.
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers

This seems just a specific issue for your site. Good to see you fixed it.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

Can anyone shed some light on why anyone except the elderly still use Internet Explorer?

Quote Originally Posted by Kipplex-Chase View Post
    Can anyone shed some light on why anyone except the elderly still use Internet Explorer?
    Because it comes pre-installed with a certain OS!
    MightWeb - Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Virtual Servers & Dedicated Servers.
    KVM VPS's - RAID 10 Pure SSD - Windows & Linux - Managed services available
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS | Pure SSD | Premium Network | SpamExperts
    DDoS Protection, R1Soft Hourly Backups, LiteSpeed, 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by MightWeb-Marcus View Post
    Because it comes pre-installed with a certain OS!
    Well, yes and no . IE is now the legacy browser anyhow, but to be fair, the latest version were not that bad. Neither were the earlier versions at their time. IE6 was a pretty good browser in the early 2000s - the main problem was Microsoft chose to practically stop the browser development.

As to the issue at hand, it would be useful to know what the exact problem was in the first place and what you exactly changed by removing those entries. Was it related to shtml files?

IE is a nightmare for many web developers. Even when some page works well in FF , Chrome sometimes it won't work well in IE. Then we had to write special css for IE.

<!--[if IE]>
    <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="all-ie-only.css" />
    <![endif]-->

I hope with bootsrap, we can develop html code much better IE compatability.
    The coder.

Argh ie is such a terrible browser, Microsoft always has to do their own thing instead of usin Web standards.

Glad to know your problem has been solved.

The IE is still a weird browser in badness. the all browsers supporting the same. but IE is not.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudKas View Post
    The IE is still a weird browser in badness. the all browsers supporting the same. but IE is not.
    Its not clear what you mean. IE11 is mostly standards compliant just like the others. But then, IE is now Microsoft's legacy browser anyhow.

I Mean Firefox, Safari, Chrome and all of the browsers based on those browsers are showing websites very clearly.
    but IE is very different than all. it doesn't support some of css3 hacks.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudKas View Post
    I Mean Firefox, Safari, Chrome and all of the browsers based on those browsers are showing websites very clearly.
    but IE is very different than all. it doesn't support some of css3 hacks.
    Can you please provide a common example that does not work in IE11?

And yes, it might not support 100% of the specification, but neither do the others.

True not all support everything however IE does not support alot of things, i wish it would just go away already because it would be nice not to have to code for its many exceptions. I held on till recently thinking it might improve but after this many years i finally gave up and changed my default to chrome.. RIP IE..

Hopefully maybe FF and Chrome will merge and we can have but 1 browser for everyone, FireChrome

Quote Originally Posted by durangod View Post
    True not all support everything however IE does not support alot of things, i wish it would just go away already because it would be nice not to have to code for its many exceptions.
    As I already wrote, do you have any examples where IE11 does not support major common features?

And please keep in mind IE11 is three years old now.

Well a good example is that IE does not support all of the HTML5 video types. It does not support webm or ogg file types, it pretty much just supports MP4.

H.264 is the defacto standard for video, supported by all browsers. While it might be a nice-to-have to have other codecs supported as well I wouldnt consider that a major drawback.

And to put it still into perspective, at the time of its release there was generally a codec mess with browsers, e.g. Firefox did not support H.264. For IE11 we have to apply 2013 standards, not 2016 ones (whether that development model is still good for a browser in comparison to others is a different story). Otherwise we need to compare Edge.

The main reason that i finally changed is that every morning i get caught up on the news with CNN and MSN websites. And it was always a pain because i found myself always having to switch over to google or FF because IE kept crashing. Regardless if it was a video or some other story the page would load half way at times and then just stop working. Finally i just decided it was time to stop the madness and not even use IE anymore. Everything i do now run just fine on the other two browsers without any issue.

in my personal opinion, IE is the must ************** browser in the world

M$ has spoiled a perfect name "The Internet Explorer"

This thread should be forwarded to Microsoft Support to know how much people are sad with IE
    Hostiano.com Valuable Hosting Domain FOR SALE.

I think thats why MS integrates it so much into windows, they know that if people had a choice they would just uninstall all of it. I dont think MS support would really care, they already know this. They are just trying to survive at this point without having to invest more money into a piece of junk browser.

Quote Originally Posted by durangod View Post
    I think thats why MS integrates it so much into windows, they know that if people had a choice they would just uninstall all of it. I dont think MS support would really care, they already know this. They are just trying to survive at this point without having to invest more money into a piece of junk browser.
    First, the integration as you call it has nothing to do with choice. You always had the choice to install any third party browser you want. Any uninstallation does not have any effect on that bit.

Second, that integration serves mostly the purpose to have a system-wide web-renderer, which is not only used by a browser frontend but also other components such as help, third party components and so forth.

Your "junk" statement seems to make it relatively clear where you stand.

Quote Originally Posted by zoid View Post
    Your "junk" statement seems to make it relatively clear where you stand.
    Please remember that until this year i was a loyal IE user from the very beginning of IE's existance, and i am being kind when i say "junk". I also dont like Edge either, it think its intrusive. I understand that in todays world the younger generation may want more interactive browsing where they dont have to put alot of thought into it, the trackers and surfing data mining does it all for them. However many of us dont prefer that and we just want our privacy. Edge may be good for some but not for me.

And yes i understand that Google is the worlds worst at data mining, however that is controllable. I dont have to have google as part of my OS in order to use my computer. But with IE you have no choice its all part of the Windows OS, so the most i can do is just not use the features or try to limit what they can do.

And i do understand that people who use computers, as well as the world is changing how they use computers and many want a whole interactive experience where everything they do is all tired up in one little package. But thats not me and thats not many others as well. The bottom line is that we either have to go with the flow or get left behind. I am not opposed to being left behind because one day (if not already), we will become so dependent on the digital data that without it our society will collapse.

This is another reason that i dont like IE or what it has become. It used to be great and did just what i wanted it to do and nothing more. But it has decided to try to get into the data mining (one package experience) game as well and that totally turns me off not only because of the privacy deal but also because they suck at it, they are late in the game and they are totally making IE the suckiest browser that ever was.

Why are you switching the argument now? Yes, if you want to use IE you have to use Windows, but that is not the topic here. We are talking about someone who already made his choice of operating system and then uses a particular browser. There you have the free choice.

As far as tracking is concerned, IE never collected any more data than any other average browser did and I am not aware of Edge collecting more (Windows 10's collection of telemetry is data is different issue).

Quote Originally Posted by robertk1 View Post
    I took over management of a site and found it displaying well everywhere EXCEPT in Internet Explorer. Other sites on the same server displayed in IE fine, and the issue went across ISPs and to different computers.

Trial and error (deleting the web page code until it displayed) didn't help so I looked elsewhere. The problem was found in the .htaccess file. If you have a similar issue, try removing any or all of these lines from .htaccess:
    AddType text/html .shtml .htm
    addhandler server-parsed .shtml .htm
    AddOutputFilter INCLUDES .shtml .htm

Problem solved!

This is posted here in the hopes it helps someone else, and saves them a couple of hours troubleshooting the issue.
    Thats great, i thought all time it was a css error but turns to be a htaccess error. Can you please explain what you did in the code above?