Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Servint march onwards and upwards ....

.... and leave the rest of us behind! 10 + years with them and it counts for little. To upgrade from my old CentOS 5 server I muse take out a new server which costs $40pm more and i need to lock in to an annual contract. WTF!!!! The support they gave us this past decade is now subscription based .... up to $200pm extra. My last ticket took 2 hours to answer !!

They have clearly forgotten the people who helped make them who they are today.

Looks like you can still order month to month from their order page. You can do an in place upgrade of CentOS 5 but it is not recommended and it is always recommended to build out a new server and migrate your data over to the new one. I would recommend if you do not like what they have to offer just move to another host, there are many high quality options available. Best way to make yourself heard is with your wallet.

Servint was great in the days, I was a custummer betwin 2002 and 2007 the response time was in minuts 24h a day without extra costs. I think because outher companies that lower there prices they are strugling.

I only have good things about them, and I think they will sort this out

Remember the fiber cut, I think in 2004? They sort it out and resolver

The good old days :p
    Last edited by qlpqlp; 05-25-2016 at 07:05 AM. Reason: Typo

If your server with them is already with management service, it really doesn't make sense to ask customer to subscribe for support service. unless they want to equal level the support maintaining cost.

But if you're happy with them and willing to extra that extra amount, why not.

Quote Originally Posted by westwing View Post

Considering you have been with them for 10 years, for sure . Sad though.

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

That's surprising they aren't willing to work with you (Assuming you've politely tried) since you've been there for 10+ years...
    David Byrne | Dedispec, LLC.
    Affordable Dedicated Servers | Storage & GPU Servers | Web Hosting | Colocation | West Virginia, Missouri & Texas
    www.dedispec.com - sales@dedispec.com

Ten years as a client - that's loyalty +1. Unfortunately, it seems like a lot of providers have taken the personal aspect out of their business.
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & KVM SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Locations: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 On-site Engineers

I have asked 'politely' and was told I'd have to sign up for the new server, sign a 1year contract and then they would review my case. It's not happening. I cannot fault the uptime or reliability as its been great but i'm not paying for support to do things i took for granted when I signed up and after 10 years they should not need a contract.

I have asked 'politely' and was told I'd have to sign up for the new server, sign a 1year contract and then they would review my case. It's not happening. I cannot fault the uptime or reliability as its been great but i'm not paying for support to do things i took for granted when I signed up and after 10 years they should not need a contract.
    Their dedicated servers seem pricey in general. Unless you're getting a really big discount from their listed price you should just look for another provider.

The one year contract demand is what's confusing. It just comes across as a money grab.

.... and leave the rest of us behind! 10 + years with them and it counts for little. To upgrade from my old CentOS 5 server I muse take out a new server which costs $40pm more and i need to lock in to an annual contract. WTF!!!! The support they gave us this past decade is now subscription based .... up to $200pm extra. My last ticket took 2 hours to answer !!

If I were you, I would explore alternative options. Sadly as a company grows big, there are lots of layers added into the structure of the company and the staffs who handle your support requests on a day to day basis usually become unsympathetic as a result because all they would usually care about is hitting their quota for the day and going home.
    HostWithLove.com - World Class Hosting Personalized - 9 Locations Across 4 Continents
    Fully Managed Shared, Reseller, Semi-Dedicated and Dedicated Servers
    cPanel/WHM | CloudLinux | JetBackup | LiteSpeed | MariaDB | SpamExperts Outbound Filtering
    Locations: Dallas, Los Angeles, Miami, Quebec, Amsterdam, Frankfurt, London, Singapore and Sydney

There's always two sides to every story. I'd love to hear theirs.

It's not surprising that you have to upgrade to upgrade the OS. This isn't something that can be done 'in place'. Linux != Windows, and even upgrading a Windows OS isn't recommended by pros.

If you've been with 'em for 10 years, that's great, but you're going on hardware prices that are 10 years old. Time to upgrade.

Like I said, I'd be interested to hear the other side to this.
    Tom Whiting, WHMCS Guru extraordinaire
    Linux problems? WHMCS Problems? Give me a shout
    Check out my WHMCS Addons

Are they planning to do the migration for you? (Just asking as it might explain the contract / extra service charge)

I never said I had the same server for 10 years. It was upgraded several times. There is no huge issue with the server ... its the 1 year contract and subscription support I object to.

Quote Originally Posted by twhiting9275 View Post
    There's always two sides to every story. I'd love to hear theirs.

It's not surprising that you have to upgrade to upgrade the OS. This isn't something that can be done 'in place'. Linux != Windows, and even upgrading a Windows OS isn't recommended by pros.

If you've been with 'em for 10 years, that's great, but you're going on hardware prices that are 10 years old. Time to upgrade.

Like I said, I'd be interested to hear the other side to this.

I don't agree with the 1yr contract either, but that seems to be somewhat standard.
    As far as support, you don't need it. Find yourself a server admin that'll cover that, or figure it out. That's not asking too much, given the actual (reasonable) pricing of their servers.

The support I used to get included now costs an additional $100pm so my current $199 server will cost $339 to upgrade

https://www.servint.net/support/

Looks like its off to Wired Tree !

and if you don't mind I'll be the judge on whether I need support or not. I don't want to use a server admin. I'm a Website designer and I host the sites I build .... I'm not a host or reseller. I just wand a dedicated machine that runs 100% with support. I got this from Servint until about 6 months ago when it started to differ. Their basic 'included' support is very basic!

I don't agree with the 1yr contract either, but that seems to be somewhat standard.
    As far as support, you don't need it. Find yourself a server admin that'll cover that, or figure it out. That's not asking too much, given the actual (reasonable) pricing of their servers.

Consider Liquidweb or Futurehosting, they have good prices on dedicated servers and the addon charge for management is pretty low.

Only heard good things about those two but I've settled on my Shortlist. Appreciate the suggestions though.

No ! It's an extra charge!!

Are they planning to do the migration for you? (Just asking as it might explain the contract / extra service)

I don't want to use a server admin.
    There's your problem, right there.

Their basic 'included' support is very basic!
    As it should be!
    You're not paying them to administrate your server, or support your server. You're paying them to lease the server. That is all

You, like everyone, it seems, want the world to just give you more and more and more for nothing. Charging $100/month for on demand server administration and software support is pretty reasonable.
    It doesn't matter what you 'used to get'. That's irrelevant

The support I used to get included now costs an additional $100pm so my current $199 server will cost $339 to upgrade

https://www.servint.net/support/

Looks like its off to Wired Tree !
    You know, it's a competitive market. Prices and support terms change over the years. If you're not satisfied with their proposed package, there's lots of other providers to consider. Good luck sorting all of this out, sir.

You are talking total rubbish. i am, and have been paying them for a FULLY MANAGED server. Full management was included. They have gone and changed this now to a very basic management and want to charge $100pm for the level we had before. This means an immediate 30% increase in cost to me. Add the contract thing in and its too much.

You're not paying them to administrate your server, or support your server. You're paying them to lease the server. That is all

You, like everyone, it seems, want the world to just give you more and more and more for nothing. Charging $100/month for on demand server administration and software support is pretty reasonable.
    It doesn't matter what you 'used to get'. That's irrelevant

i am, and have been paying them for a FULLY MANAGED server.
    You are not, yes. They're losing money on this

They have gone and changed this now to a very basic management and want to charge $100pm for the level we had before.
    New server, new deal. Or just stick with the old server. Those are the options.
    Eventually, they'll phase out the 'we will give you free management' option altogether, get ready for it

If you compare the prices, you won't find a managed server provider with that deal at that rate. Sorry, you just have to pony up and pay for what you should have been all along

The problem is that the old business model of leasing servers for profit is not working anymore especially if the hosting company is a small business. US based support costs at a minimum of $42k a year to hire a sys admin. These companies can not compete anymore. The new business model is making money off services aka support. Companies also want to get rid of customers who abuse support. Abusers are resellers who get a VPS for $50 a month, load 100 low traffic websites on the server, charge those 100 people $5 a month and expect all support to be managed for $50 while they pocket a $450 profit. This is absolutely abuse of your hosting company's support. These people do not even bother managing the upkeep of their customer's website to a point where sites start getting hacked because of outdated software/pugins. To top it off, these resellers also offer email hosting. A single compromised email account of those 100 clients ends up getting their entire VPS mail server IP on blacklists and guess who has to deal with the blowback? The hosting company support with tickets being opened like 'I am losing customers!!!', 'why arent you fixing this'?

Does this highlight why hosting companies are moving away from their previous business model to one where support WILL cost you money? If you are a developer who is well versed in basic server administration, then you should not have to worry about your hosting company changing up their support package offerings. AWS pricing gets you a server only. Guess how much it costs to talk to someone for support at AWS? You guessed it...starts at $100 on top of your regular hosting cost.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast