hosted by liquidweb

Go Back   Web Hosting Talk : Web Hosting Main Forums : Dedicated Server : Anyone else having problems at ThePlanet today?

Forum Jump

Anyone else having problems at ThePlanet today?

Reply Post New Thread In Dedicated Server Subscription

Send news tip View All Posts Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2003, 12:54 PM
Junior Guru

Anyone else having problems at ThePlanet today?

I just checked and all of my domains are dead. Looks like my server is gone. I knew I shouldn't have slept late today....

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2003, 01:02 PM
Junior Guru Wannabe

My box at The Planet is rock solid. I've had no downtime with them since I started with them in March.

Old 06-22-2003, 01:06 PM
Web Hosting Master

my 2 boxes there are solid rock...maybe your apache failed or something

Sponsored Links
Old 06-22-2003, 01:11 PM
Junior Guru

I got a response back in 6 minutes. Tech said he could ping the server but none of the services were working. So he's rebooting it for me. Damn, hope I haven't had a hard drive crash or something. That would definitely ruin my Sunday for me....

Old 06-22-2003, 01:24 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Rich Z
I got a response back in 6 minutes. Tech said he could ping the server but none of the services were working. So he's rebooting it for me. Damn, hope I haven't had a hard drive crash or something. That would definitely ruin my Sunday for me....
i hope not. I think your sql server spiked up or something

Old 06-22-2003, 02:04 PM
Web Hosting Master

You should check other servers or contact support before posting here.

Old 06-22-2003, 03:10 PM
Web Hosting Guru

I agree...

Old 06-23-2003, 01:20 AM
Junior Guru

Quote:
You should check other servers or contact support before posting here.
Why? Did I step on someone's toes or something?

My reasoning was if I found no one else had a problem, and I hadn't received a response from ThePlanet in a half hour or more, then I would need to get on the phone with them, as the problem was isolated to my own server. However, if there was a rash of other servers on their site being down, it would have likely been a widespread problem that all my phone call would have done is gotten a response something like "Yes, we know there is an outage. We are working on it." So there would have been no need to bother those people when they were obviously busy trying to fix the problem.

Based on the number of other messages I have seen in this very same forum asking similar questions about a lot of other companies, including ThePlanet, has there been a policy change in this forum concerning such queries?

Sorry if some got personally offended by it, but I thought that sort of request for info is OK in this forum.

Old 06-23-2003, 08:06 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Based on the number of other messages I have seen in this very same forum asking similar questions about a lot of other companies, including ThePlanet, has there been a policy change in this forum concerning such queries?
Nope, they've always been annoying

I'm not angry or anything, just pointing out that if everyone posted when their servers were down this board would be useless. If it's a general outage, sure, but this shouldn't be the first stop to see what the deal is. Especially with the monitoring available in orbit.

Old 06-23-2003, 08:21 PM
Web Hosting Master

Rich Z,

Maybe you can get the ip of a friends server or something on the same net block as you and you can ping there server/s and see if its working if you have any problems in the future.

Of course you can take a peak in WHT to see whats going on but then try the next server to see if its restricted to you or your isp.

Why people get annoyed?

It seems some people around these areas base the core of the business around the fact they are using a GOOD datacenter ( Which is important but so are 1000 other things ) so once you come in and claim something about there datacenter they believe you are directly effecting there business as many of there customer base probably comes from WHT.

Even the best datacenters have downtime its the way it is nothing is downtime proof. And when there is a serious issue these same people getting anoyed with you will be the ones posting " LEAVING ********** " They Suck " threads.

This has nothing to do with any DC just giving an insite of what i noticed here over the years.

Regards
Phillip

Old 06-23-2003, 08:59 PM
Junior Guru

I guess I just run in different circles than most of you guys do.

I don't have any friends with servers, much less servers at the same place I am at with mine.

Is this as widespread as you all are implying and I've just been living in the woods too long? Here in Wakulla County, Florida, traffic lights are still a novelty. On Saturday nights you can always catch a crowd watching them changing colors trying to figure out how it is done.

Old 06-23-2003, 09:01 PM
Web Hosting Master

Best bet is if they provide telehone support, give them a call before posting here... As it seems it was an isolated issue.

-Shazad

"The only way to overcome fear, is to challenge it head on"
"The quickest way to get over a woman, is to get under another"

Old 06-23-2003, 09:33 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
I guess I just run in different circles than most of you guys do.

I don't have any friends with servers, much less servers at the same place I am at with mine.

Is this as widespread as you all are implying and I've just been living in the woods too long? Here in Wakulla County, Florida, traffic lights are still a novelty. On Saturday nights you can always catch a crowd watching them changing colors trying to figure out how it is done.
You should make some friends online. All of my friends that are in this field (hosting) are "online buddies" - who I have met here or on sitepoint forums, etc. Not a single friend of mine in real life knows an fdisk about linux, web hosting, etc. Almost all my friends who are into web dev are online buddies too - I only know a couple of people in real life that do php/mysql.

Just make a post here saying - "who else has servers at theplannet? Please PM me with your ICQ/MSN/AOL".

Old 06-23-2003, 10:36 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Here in Wakulla County, Florida, traffic lights are still a novelty. On Saturday nights you can always catch a crowd watching them changing colors trying to figure out how it is done.
Is that near Bay county, FL?

Cause I swear I seen some rednecks here doing the same thing, w a 12 pack of Natural light.

Old 06-23-2003, 10:54 PM
Web Hosting Master

Quote:
Originally posted by freakysid
You should make some friends online. All of my friends that are in this field (hosting) are "online buddies" - who I have met here or on sitepoint forums, etc. Not a single friend of mine in real life knows an fdisk about linux, web hosting, etc. Almost all my friends who are into web dev are online buddies too - I only know a couple of people in real life that do php/mysql.

Just make a post here saying - "who else has servers at theplannet? Please PM me with your ICQ/MSN/AOL".
Funny ... whenever I go out with my IRL friends, sometimes I slip and start talking about the business... "Yeah some moron tried to DoS Zeus the other day, took a 30 second call and I had them blocked at the router..." I just get stares .

<EDIT>Zeus is a server, nobody I know has tried to DoS a God </EDIT>

<EDIT2>Man I'm doing good... I managed to spell Zeus wrong...</EDIT2>

Related posts from TheWhir.com
Title Type Date Posted
Windows Azure, Xbox Live Experience Problems as Xbox One Launches Web Hosting News 2013-11-22 13:05:40
Amazon Web Services Northern Virginia Outage Rocks Instagram, Vine Web Hosting News 2013-08-26 14:33:03
Five Rules for Moving to the Cloud Blog 2013-07-24 09:27:00
cPacket Launches SPIFEE for Service Providers to Detect Network Performance Issues Web Hosting News 2013-01-28 16:21:35
Web Hosting Jobs - New Hiring Methods for the New Year Blog 2012-12-13 12:08:55