Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by anewhost View Post
    Attachment 34045
    Attachment 34046

Hi Ryus,

Thanks for the update. Attached are the test screenshots. Our server is based in Atlanta, Georgia.

Please advise, thanks!

The attachment links are not working. Can you reupload them ?

Quote Originally Posted by ryus View Post
    The attachment links are not working. Can you reupload them ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wordpress-test---NY-+-Dallas.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	179.2 KB 
ID:	34047

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HTML-test---NY-+-Dallas.jpg 
Views:	3 
Size:	187.3 KB 
ID:	34048

Sorry, let me know if it works.

The HTML page should load a bit quicker but then it shows there are 11-12 connection errors, so some bad requests in the code probably.

For a fresh wp install, 4xx ms is a bit on the higher side. Are you using any wordpress caching plugin ?

Quote Originally Posted by ryus View Post
    The HTML page should load a bit quicker but then it shows there are 11-12 connection errors, so some bad requests in the code probably.

For a fresh wp install, 4xx ms is a bit on the higher side. Are you using any wordpress caching plugin ?
    Hi Ryus,

Thanks for the update. Makes sense.

Fresh WP install, i figured it is pretty high. There are no cache plugins, just a fresh no plugin install. Using nginx, tried apache and its the same. Disabled Redis and Memcached in command line as well, even removed open cache from nginx options. Tried it again and it seems like it has gone down to 320-360 ms.. which still seems to be too high. THis is tools.pingdom.com, gtmetrix is higher, 0.7-0.9s

Please advise, thanks so much.

So I've been just kind of following along with this. I'm taking a stab in the dark due to the information you've posted on server location and specs, would this by any chance be hosted through Delimiter? I can't say I've known them to have the strongest network from my experience. If not disregard and I would probably open up screen running ping to a few different locations for a few days to see if there is any packet loss.

Code:
    screen -dmS "packetloss test google dns" ping 8.8.8.8
    screen -dmS "packetloss test level 3" ping 209.244.0.3 
    screen -dmS "packetloss test opendns" ping 208.67.222.222
    For the MySQL theory can you snag some of the queries being made and see if they are possibly of a large size?

Quote Originally Posted by BrandonGL View Post
    I'm taking a stab in the dark due to the information you've posted on server location and specs, would this by any chance be hosted through Delimiter?
    This doesn't look like one of our configs (we don't offer that amount of ram on the L5520), but looks exactly like another Atlanta provider that advertises here.

Quote Originally Posted by Delimiter-Mike View Post
    This doesn't look like one of our configs (we don't offer that amount of ram on the L5520), but looks exactly like another Atlanta provider that advertises here.
    Awesome! Thanks for the reply! Not trying to throw you guys under the bus or anything, just based it off the specs and my experience when I had a server a few years back.

just based it off the specs and my experience when I had a server a few years back.
    Sorry to hear. Network usually receives top points in reviews. Although I've only been around Delimiter for a year and a half or so (first as a customer, and then earlier this year as an employee), not sure how things were before that.

Sorry to hear. Network usually receives top points in reviews. Although I've only been around Delimiter for a year and a half or so (first as a customer, and then earlier this year as an employee), not sure how things were before that.
    No worries. I've been considering giving the offerings another try so hopefully I'll be a bit more impressed this time around!

So I've been just kind of following along with this. I'm taking a stab in the dark due to the information you've posted on server location and specs, would this by any chance be hosted through Delimiter? I can't say I've known them to have the strongest network from my experience. If not disregard and I would probably open up screen running ping to a few different locations for a few days to see if there is any packet loss.

Code:
    screen -dmS "packetloss test google dns" ping 8.8.8.8
    screen -dmS "packetloss test level 3" ping 209.244.0.3 
    screen -dmS "packetloss test opendns" ping 208.67.222.222
    For the MySQL theory can you snag some of the queries being made and see if they are possibly of a large size?

Hi BrandonGL,

Thanks for reaching back! For some reason the command you've sent isn't working. Nothing occurs after entering it. Also, what is the process of retrieving the mysql results mentioned?

Please advise, thanks!

Do you mean QPS ?

Just for the record, som general things I'd look at.

It could be worth running a site speed test via webpagetest.org. I find it easier to work with than pingdom and gtmetric as it gives a far more detailed breakdown. If you log in to webpagetest before running the test it keeps the stats for you so you can look back easily and compare. I'd be particularly interested in the TTFB which is the time to first byte and measures how long it takes the server to start returning page content, a great measure of how heavy your site is on the server with it's current config.

I see you've been doing this already, but the process I'd use is:
    - check the server for load and see if it is getting bogged down
    - check the amount the page is downloading and see if there are any visible issues with other page content

Re server load: The "mytop" command is a relatively simple way of watching mysql load and may help. Also definitely worth enabling the mysql slow queries log, just as good practice. Another stat to check is IO queue - high queue means things are waiting on IO.

Making sure mysql cache is appropriately large can make a big difference in performance.

Re the page itself: worth checking to see what's compressed and isn't compressed, as that can make a 2x difference (or more) to page speed if you load a lot of non-image content.

Just for the record, some general things I'd look at.

It could be worth running a site speed test via webpagetest.org. I find it easier to work with than pingdom and gtmetric as it gives a far more detailed breakdown. If you log in to webpagetest before running the test it keeps the stats for you so you can look back easily and compare. I'd be particularly interested in the TTFB which is the time to first byte and measures how long it takes the server to start returning page content, a great measure of how heavy your site is on the server with it's current config.

I see you've been doing much of this already, but the general process I'd use is:
    - check the server for load and see if it is getting bogged down
    - check the amount the page is downloading and see if there are any visible issues with other page content

Re server load: The "mytop" command is a relatively simple way of watching mysql load and may help. Also definitely worth enabling the mysql slow queries log, just as good practice. Another stat to check is IO queue - high queue means things are waiting on IO.

Making sure mysql cache is appropriately large can make a big difference in performance.

Re the page itself: worth checking to see what's compressed and isn't compressed, as that can make a 2x difference (or more) to page speed if you load a lot of non-image content. Also worth installing one of the WordPress caches to see if they help (Rocket, Supercache, or W3 Totalcache) are the most commonly used. Also turn off Wordfence's live traffic view mis-feature if you are using it (it does an Ajax callback on every page view, sigh).
    Last edited by brianoz; 05-22-2016 at 01:43 AM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12