Hosting suggestion for a game backend

Hello everyone! I am working on a smartphone game that has a backend server(PHP+MYSQL) which currently is hosted on a free hosting.

The game just has 2 server calls which are basically sending and receiving game stats
    On average there are 7-10 server calls per game session (opening to closing) that lasts for about 30seconds.
    100 game sessions running concurrently results in 700-1000 calls per game session.
    1000 game sessions in one day = 7000 - 10000 calls

Is shared hosting good enough for that number of calls? The game can definitely scale exponentially if it gets a lot of users. I don't have enough budget for AWS so thats a no.
    should I go with a VPS hosting? if so, which one? I can't buy one from digital ocean cause my debit card doesn't works, what about vultr?

Feel free to give any suggestions you have . Thanks a lot!

Guess it would depend just how heavy the php call and relating Mysql access would be per call. Vultr would work as would a OVH SSD vps. You get more bang for your buck with the OVH, and they perform very well.

I would definitely put something like this on a VPS. What you're talking about is basically a master for game servers, which is not built to be run on shared hosting with restrictions that may apply. You mention y-10 calls lasting ~30 seconds - how frequent are those made?

You should definitely be able to start with a fairly limited VPS, which won't set you back much more than a shared hosting plan - and upgrade as the amount of servers (and thus the total workload) increases!
    MightWeb - Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Virtual Servers & Dedicated Servers.
    KVM VPS's - RAID 10 Pure SSD - Windows & Linux - Managed services available
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS | Pure SSD | Premium Network | SpamExperts
    DDoS Protection, R1Soft Hourly Backups, LiteSpeed, 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee

Gaming = VPS or Dedicated.
    Shared hosting won't cut it, not even at the beginning - when it's still small; check out OVH or Hetzner (for unmanaged) and WiredTree (for managed) servers.
    My "ranking" is kidding.
    I'm just a humble client, here to seek help and guidance from the true experts.

Quote Originally Posted by MightWeb-Marcus View Post
    I would definitely put something like this on a VPS. What you're talking about is basically a master for game servers, which is not built to be run on shared hosting with restrictions that may apply. You mention y-10 calls lasting ~30 seconds - how frequent are those made?
    Some things i'd like to add to make this a bit more clear.

The game isn't multiplayer, its just a single player game in which my goal is to save stats on a server continuously.
    Server calls are really simple:
    write call => updating a cell value of a row in a table
    read call => reading that cell value

There's an option of VPS and service like AWS.
    AWS and similar services are really expensive or else i would've gone for them.

I did buy a VPS from vultr yesterday for testing purpose, it kinda is hectic to setup everything from scratch along with basic security cause the server i created had some 73 unknown failed login attempts which kinda scared me.

Quote Originally Posted by indie6 View Post
    Some things i'd like to add to make this a bit more clear.

The game isn't multiplayer, its just a single player game in which my goal is to save stats on a server continuously.
    Server calls are really simple:
    write call => updating a cell value of a row in a table
    read call => reading that cell value

There's an option of VPS and service like AWS.
    AWS and similar services are really expensive or else i would've gone for them.

I did buy a VPS from vultr yesterday for testing purpose, it kinda is hectic to setup everything from scratch along with basic security cause the server i created had some 73 unknown failed login attempts which kinda scared me.
    Oh! That makes it a lot simpler. SQL operations are very quick and do not require much processing at all.
    Still, if you're developing games, the experience of setting up an environment for it on a VPS is /really/ going to serve you well!

VULTR is a good choice as well. Seems like you'll be set - unless you have any additional thoughts or questions?
    MightWeb - Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Virtual Servers & Dedicated Servers.
    KVM VPS's - RAID 10 Pure SSD - Windows & Linux - Managed services available
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS | Pure SSD | Premium Network | SpamExperts
    DDoS Protection, R1Soft Hourly Backups, LiteSpeed, 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee

If the calls are as simple as it looks, while I agree with Marcus, I would start shared to save money. Choose a host that has a good upgrade path, and you can simply scale that shared site up to a VPS when you need to.
    Bobby - PreciselyManaged.com - Precision Hosting Solutions
    █ Enterprise Shared, Reseller, VPS, Hybrid, and Dedicated Hosting
    █ SpamExperts | CloudLinux | cPanel | Bacula + R1soft | and more!
    █ Full proactively managed, and we specialize in hosting small web hosts

Make sure whatever shared provider you choose is ok with your intended usage. Most shared hosting providers do not intend their SQL back-end to be used for game servers / smartphone apps.

Personally I'd get a small VPS and start from there. As all you need is the OS itself and SQL - you can probably do it for $5~20/mo depending on how much RAM you need/want.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

so many suggestions, thanks a lot! will start messing with the VPS I bought the coming week. Other than that do you people have any alternative recommendations for AWS? Some service you used personally ?

Quote Originally Posted by indie6 View Post
    so many suggestions, thanks a lot! will start messing with the VPS I bought the coming week. Other than that do you people have any alternative recommendations for AWS? Some service you used personally ?
    AWS is fine IMHO. I've used DigitalOcean as well and had no issues.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

I will recommend VPS because of network sources. abd vultr is good.