Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    When I look at shared hosting I see companies such as godaddy, hostgator, bluehost. Should I be looking at them for shared hosting?

Quote Originally Posted by Fancy-Nancy View Post
    When I look at shared hosting I see companies such as godaddy, hostgator, bluehost. Should I be looking at them for shared hosting?
    Why would you want to go with shared hosting even with all the drawbacks they hold for your service? Please read post #25.

Not to mention that all 3 of the above hosting providers are bats. You might as well look for free web hosting.

Ok thanks I will go look back up at #25. THANK YOU

Quote Originally Posted by varunchopra View Post
    Why would you want to go with shared hosting even with all the drawbacks they hold for your service? Please read post #25.
    Why would the OP want to become a server administrator?
    Seems like overkill for 10 smallish sites.

Quote Originally Posted by BeZazz View Post
    Why would the OP want to become a server administrator?
    Seems like overkill for 10 smallish sites.
    I think the purpose of this thread is to provide the best solution, not help him achieve it. A little bit of effort goes a long way, and a dedicated host can fulfill his needs more fruitfully as compared to a shared host.

Quote Originally Posted by varunchopra View Post
    I think the purpose of this thread is to provide the best solution, not help him achieve it. A little bit of effort goes a long way, and a dedicated host can fulfill his needs more fruitfully as compared to a shared host.
    While the definition of best is subjective I wouldn't list a solution that the OP couldn't manage or maintain on their own without additional cost and/or overhead as the 'best' option.

It could be the best if the OP was a server administrator and/or wanted/enjoyed working with the server itself and managing it. If the OP has no interest in any of this then it would be pretty far from the 'best' solution for the OP.

Now I'm assuming the OP isn't a server administrator otherwise they likely wouldn't be here asking these questions - they'd have already sorted out a solution on their own.

Realistically not every site needs a VPS or Dedicated Server. In many cases it is extreme overkill and a waste of time/money/power/cooling/energy/thought. Personally I always advise the most reasonably priced service you can afford. No sense in spending $xxx/mo when $xx/mo or even $x/mo will do the job.

All of this said always maintain your own off-provider backups no matter who the provider is or what they promise. And no, for the record, storing your backups on the same server [even on a separate disk / network attached disk] is not sufficient to save you from catastrophe. Furthermore it's good to have a plan should your primary provider totally fail catastrophically - like plans on how you'd restore previously mentioned backups to a new provider quickly.
    Last edited by Mike - MDDHosting; 04-27-2016 at 12:22 PM.
    Michael Denney - MDDHosting.com - Proudly hosting more than 37,700 websites since 2007.
    Ultra-Fast Cloud Shared and Pay-By-Use Reseller Hosting Powered by LiteSpeed!
    cPanel • Free SSL • 100% Uptime SLA • 24/7 Support
    Class-leading support that responds in minutes, not days.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeDVB View Post
    While the definition of best is subjective I wouldn't list a solution that the OP couldn't manage or maintain on their own without additional cost and/or overhead as the 'best' option.

It could be the best if the OP was a server administrator and/or wanted/enjoyed working with the server itself and managing it. If the OP has no interest in any of this then it would be pretty far from the 'best' solution for the OP.

Now I'm assuming the OP isn't a server administrator otherwise they likely wouldn't be here asking these questions - they'd have already sorted out a solution on their own.

Realistically not every site needs a VPS or Dedicated Server. In many cases it is extreme overkill and a waste of time/money/power/cooling/energy/thought. Personally I always advise the most reasonably priced service you can afford. No sense in spending $xxx/mo when $xx/mo or even $x/mo will do the job.

All of this said always maintain your own off-provider backups no matter who the provider is or what they promise. And no, for the record, storing your backups on the same server [even on a separate disk / network attached disk] is not sufficient to save you from catastrophe. Furthermore it's good to have a plan should your primary provider totally fail catastrophically - like plans on how you'd restore previously mentioned backups to a new provider quickly.
    Thank you. No I am not a server administrator or even remotely interested in becoming one. In the past the most that I have done is resell and having it all set up for me I just needed to use the plesk parallel panel to add a domain, set up an email, autoresponder etc. That is pretty much all i want to do. Would like to have the option to continue to add sites easily and emails... just no fussing with techie stuff. I like to contact an administrator if there are problems.... not that i've had any in the past. My guy was AMAZING, and the server fast and no downtime etc for over a decade (that I KNEW of.). So, I really would like someone else to say "just ftp up your sites, click on this button to set up your emails etc." and it will all happen quickly. I would point my domain names to the new server info and call it a day. AND have my own IP. I will read up more of the threads too to see. I did like the looks of a plan like the Business Pro on the Cloud at bluehost I just need to check out what my best options are cost and service wise.

Those are the pit bottom of hosting, avoid them like plague.
    When talking about Canada, Crocweb and their upstream provider OVH are the first names coming to my mind; they both have a rather good reputation and are active - Crocweb is, I don't remember if OVH is - on WHT as well.
    My "ranking" is kidding.
    I'm just a humble client, here to seek help and guidance from the true experts.

It can be American company too.. I don't have any restrictions.

I need new hosting. Not sure if shared is what I need, but I know I want to be on a server that I don't need to worry about other sites on the same server causing issues with spam or blacklisting etc. My sites are static, nothing fancy, just online info presence. I have had dedicated IP for the last 15 years. Need 99.9% uptime, good load speeds etc. I used to resell but now the only sites that I keep up are for friends and family. Any suggestions on who to go with? I am in Canada. Thanks!

I think you can have a look at ixwebhosting.com. They offer dedicated IP address with shared web hosting plans

Quote Originally Posted by samadmk View Post
    I think you can have a look at ixwebhosting.com. They offer dedicated IP address with shared web hosting plans
    Very bad advice.
    Even before IX Web Hosting got bought by EIG, they had a very bad reputation; there's more than plenty of better options.
    My "ranking" is kidding.
    I'm just a humble client, here to seek help and guidance from the true experts.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12