Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Liquid Web alternatives/recommendations (decent support)

We currently have 5 servers and 4-5 managed services with LiquidWeb, which we've had for over 2 years. However due to a recent incident we've decided to examine our options and explore alternatives, we haven't decided that we're leaving yet but want to prepare in case. I'm compiling a list of providers to research and contact for quotes. I'd very much appreciate if anyone could help add to this list or could share any insights to any of the providers below.

• Singlehop
    • Internap
    • Steadfast
    • Datapipe
    • Hostway
    • Softlayer
    • Hostdime

Main requirements are:

• Extremely good support, tickets should have an initial response in 5 mins or less. We don't have a lot of tickets or issues (apart from said incident, 2 created in the last 6 months with LW) but when we do need support we'd like it fast
    • Able to provide managed services like load balancing, network storage, SQL replication, etc
    • We don't require management on the servers although I know this is usually how you get the best support, we definitely don't want any control panel (cpanel/plesk/da/etc)
    • We must be able to retain root access to servers
    • Provider must have their own on site staff 24/7
    • Preferably US east or central based although not a major concern
    • Price isn't too much of a concern, as long as roughly inline with LW
    • No year long contracts, 6 months at the most
    • Network quality isn't much of a concern, as long as its stable

Cheers

I'd personally recommend Limestone Networks (Dallas) from past experience, but you should add HiVelocity (Tampa) to your list also as they're pretty recommended.
    ExtraVM - DDoS Protected NVMe VPS, Website Hosting, & Game Servers
    Dallas, TX | Miami, FL | Los Angeles, CA | Piscataway, NJ | Amsterdam, NL | Singapore | Tokyo, JP

You should definitely add to HiVelocity to that list. Florida DC.

What is the issue with LW? Maybe work with them first?

Specially 4 U
    Reseller Hosting: Boost Your Websites | Fully Managed KVM VPS: 3.20 - 5.00 Ghz, Pure Dedicated Power
    JoneSolutions.Com is on the net 24/7 providing stable and reliable web hosting solutions, server management and services since 2001
    Debian|Ubuntu|cPanel|DirectAdmin|Enhance|Webuzo|Acronis|Estela|BitNinja|Nginx

<<snipped>>

@sam0 From your above list i`l suggest steadfast.
    Last edited by Postbox; 02-15-2016 at 10:09 AM.
    ProlimeHost - Dedicated Server Hosting & Kvm SSD VPS
    Three Datacenter Location: Los Angeles, Denver & Singapore
    SuperMicro Hardware | Multiple Bandwidth Providers | 24/7 on Site Engineers

Try Hivelocity, you will never regret, specially their support

You can also hire support/managment from other company. So that will make the solution more expensive, but in this case you will have freedom in choice. Having one managed company you can use unmanaged servers from various companies and change them as often as you need that.
    --> http://www.webhostingzone.org/
    --> Secure and Reliable Web Hosting Services - cPanel / CloudLinux / Softaculous - Atlanta Data Center
    --> VPS Hosting, Linux Support, SSL certificates and more!

Thanks for all the Hivelocity recommendations everyone, I've added them and Limestone to my list.

Quote Originally Posted by net View Post
    What is the issue with LW? Maybe work with them first?
    The issue is one they created, but we're definitely trying to work with them which is why I'm not going to air their dirty laundry in public. However I want to be prepared for if we cannot resolve it.

You mentioned that you have 5 servers, but that you're not that interested in network quality. Are all of these servers within the same data center?

Quote Originally Posted by sclaeys View Post
    You mentioned that you have 5 servers, but that you're not that interested in network quality. Are all of these servers within the same data center?
    Yes same DC. We don't have any latency sensitive requirements like gameservers or voip etc, so as long as the network is stable we don't care too much.

Are you primarily utilizing the private network?

Just had a chat with Hivelocity, unfortunately they don't offer management without cpanel, and they don't offer any managed SQL replication and failover services.

Are you primarily utilizing the private network?
    Yes we have web+cache and database servers, so only the 2 web servers get any real traffic with the rest using a private switch.

Many companies do require cPanel for management (or package it in automatically on managed servers). You should be able to find someone to meet your requirements, however. Have you called SoftLayer yet?

Many companies do require cPanel for management (or package it in automatically on managed servers). You should be able to find someone to meet your requirements, however. Have you called SoftLayer yet?
    There are plenty of companies that manage servers outside of cPanel. I'm sure those companies are just doing that to keep costs down since they aren't really managing infrastructure they are just glorified cPanel operators that know more than the typical end user.
    REDUNDANT.COMEquinix Data Centers Performance Optimized Network
    Managed & Unmanaged
    • Servers • Colocation • Cloud • VEEAM
    sales@redundant.com

Unfortunately this seems to be the case. We don't need or want cpanel, plus, from my experience it can often mean that the hosts techs use it as a crutch. Just had a chat with Hostdime who also only offer management with cpanel.

Haven't contacted Softlayer yet, still gradually working through the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Alec View Post
    There are plenty of companies that manage servers outside of cPanel. I'm sure those companies are just doing that to keep costs down since they aren't really managing infrastructure they are just glorified cPanel operators that know more than the typical end user.
    My thoughts exactly. I'm not keen on hosts who are uncomfortable outside of cpanel.

Another recommendation for SteadFast - We have been with them for over 5 years and they have stellar support services.
    Ruchir
    ██ SoftSys Hosting ██ - 14 Years In Business - 24/7 In-House Support - Enterprise Class Replicated Cloud Servers For HA

Cloud Hosting With Anti-Malware, IDS/IPS, WAF & Litespeed - Windows 2019 Shared Hosting w/ Plesk

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I've sent emails off to everyone listed so far in the thread, so far I've been impressed with Steadfast and Limestones' sales. But have more emails and calls to take later today.

Would still appreciate if anyone had any more potential providers to add.

You might consider Total Server Solutions https://www.totalserversolutions.com/. We've done business with them since 2008 and they're solid with a great network and support staff.
    ThePrimeHost LLC - Serving Websites Since 2001.
    Fully Managed VPS Hosting w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Fully Managed Dedicated Servers w/ Cpanel + WHM
    Reseller Hosting with End User Support

Quote Originally Posted by sam0 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback everyone.

I've sent emails off to everyone listed so far in the thread, so far I've been impressed with Steadfast and Limestones' sales. But have more emails and calls to take later today.

Would still appreciate if anyone had any more potential providers to add.
    The sales department is not the support department. Just remember that.

I'd be working with the sales department to get a couple of temporary servers setup so you can get support at 2am on a weekend on both of them at the same time and see how well the company scales on off-peak hours at actual support. That would be an easy way to test your requirements.
    Managed & Unmanaged
    sales@redundant.com

The sales department is not the support department. Just remember that.
    Of course, however it's definitely a customers first impressions of a company and how they handle themselves. For example:

Hostway - Had to wade through their hard sell in order to get answers to basic questions
    Datapipe - Contact form doesn't work properly on their site
    Singlehop - No response at all (2 days)

Where as limestone and steadfast were both functional and no nonsense. Although we've since discounted limestone as they can't offer the level of management required for our SQL cluster, I'd look at them for other projects. The ones above, not so much.

I'd be working with the sales department to get a couple of temporary servers setup so you can get support at 2am on a weekend on both of them at the same time and see how well the company scales on off-peak hours at actual support. That would be an easy way to test your requirements.
    I'm not really sure what hosts would be up for that, but worth asking I guess, could as least try it out with a VPS or something.

Hi Sam- I'm shocked and disappointed to see this feedback. I monitor initial response metrics very closely and we generally run about 30 minutes or less. Can you drop me an email letting me know which route you took to contact us. Also time of day would be helpful so I can track this down and make sure it's something that's corrected. By the way, I could not agree more with you about 'first impressions'. Clearly we botched ours....

twaldorf@singlehop.com
    SingleHop | Chicago - New York - Phoenix - Amsterdam | People Empowered by Automation
    TJ Waldorf | VP, Inside Sales & Marketing | @tj_waldorf | twaldorf @ singlehop.com | poweredby.ai

Datapipe - Contact form doesn't work properly on their site
    To be fair to Singlehop, after contacting TJ I got a very quick response, and apart from the initial delay they were prompt and professional.

The same with Datapipe, initial impressions weren't great (no chat, no public email address, contact form cutting off emails), however sales itself is perfectly fine.

Unfortunately the management of our SQL cluster seems to be the biggest hurdle, as a lot of hosts don't have the expertise to adequately provide the service. We've received a couple of quotes however far fewer than expected.

What kind of SQL management tasks are you looking for?
    Managed & Unmanaged
    sales@redundant.com

To be fair to Singlehop, after contacting TJ I got a very quick response, and apart from the initial delay they were prompt and professional.

Unfortunately the management of our SQL cluster seems to be the biggest hurdle, as a lot of hosts don't have the expertise to adequately provide the service. We've received a couple of quotes however far fewer than expected.
    Thanks for the kind update, Sam. Best of luck with this search.
    SingleHop | Chicago - New York - Phoenix - Amsterdam | People Empowered by Automation
    TJ Waldorf | VP, Inside Sales & Marketing | @tj_waldorf | twaldorf @ singlehop.com | poweredby.ai

The same with Datapipe, initial impressions weren't great (no chat, no public email address, contact form cutting off emails), however sales itself is perfectly fine.

I think Singlehop outsources their management. It may have changed in recent times, though.

I moved from LiquidWeb to Hivelocity and haven't looked back. You will need cPanel for fully managed services with HiVelocity.

Softlayer last I got quoted runs around $1,000 for management.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast