Question Dual Monitor wossnames

ok as most of you probably saw in my previous thread i am specc'ing a new machine right now...

well i have the following setup in mind...

case: PC61 Black Computer Case
    psu: 400W Dual Fan Power Supply Unit
    m/b: Gigabyte SoA VIA KT400A ATX
    cpu: AMD 2600+ (333mhz barton)
    hdd: DiamondMax Plus9 120GB SATA150
    ram: Kingston 512MB 184Pin DIMM PC2700 DDR

what i need to add to the setup now is a gfx card and i am starting to grow accustomed to the idea of having dual 17" tft monitors. i will be running XP pro and some flavour of linux (possibly SuSe not sure) as dual boot.

can anyone suggest a good agp 8x card that could handle this that is mid price range and would be compatable with the above setup?

i'm pretty sure the tft's won't be dvi so i'm not sure what connectors i would need or how i would hook them up to the pc? would i plug one monitor into the mb and one into the gfx card?

any help/advice is more than welcome

its a little more than i wanted to spend but after a lot of digging around I think I might go with the nvidia geForce fx6800 and 2x samsungs 171s 17" tft displays...

does anyone agree/disagree with this choice? looking for opinions.

Ciq

Where is this PC going to go (location in house)? Shop around and try to find large, quiet fans which will work in your case.

I'm pretty curious how dual monitors work. What's displayed on both monitors? The same thing? If not, how is the display on each monitor shown? How are they controlled using the same keyboard? How can two monitors show different desktops when they're all connected to only one CPU?
    Have you Floble'd today?

Originally posted by sanjiv
    I'm pretty curious how dual monitors work. What's displayed on both monitors? The same thing? If not, how is the display on each monitor shown? How are they controlled using the same keyboard? How can two monitors show different desktops when they're all connected to only one CPU?
    Two desktops, or an extended desktop.

I have been using dual desktops for last 3 years.

Rigth now I use 3200x2400 @85 on Matrox extended destops and believe me your productivity will show a sharp increase with them enabled.

Specaly if you code or design . you will have one moitor to show the output while the other you do your actual work.
    You can drag windows cross monitors and for Photoshop drag the palettes for layers/tools etc etc across tyo get maximum workspace.

I find Matrox's dual view solution to be best .. better than nvidia'ls or ATI's for the mid range cards.

If you planning on dual monitor setup for non 3D and non gaming applications, get Matrox Parehelia which has the best 2D and multiple monitor support.

A cheaper way woudl be a 32 MB DDr Matrrox G550 card..

Go vist www.matrox.com and see the demos for dual monitors.
    SEO needed .. email or PM me.
    ----------------------------------------------

I use ATI video card with Hydrovision. It has two monitor outlets for daul monitor support that can display multiple desktops. I also have a tv tuner, but I mostly watch satellite tv on my computer so I don't really use the tv tuner. I have 7-8 fans, but I want to convert to water cooled system. Its also overclocked and connected to my TV and Stereo System. If I had it my way, it would be connected to everything else. My other computer is a dual processor built with linux and stuff. It is mainly used as a test server.

IMO the Radeon 9500 is the best card for the buck, my customers usually agree also.

I have been running dual monitors for a while (19",21") -- I don't think I could live without it.