Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AdroitSSD LLC View Post
    Where a normal Bold ad upgrade cost is $30/week, how could we expect SMB =$25/month or $300/yr ! But if they introduce 2016 will be a revolutionary year for WHT .
    I see your point but then I don't think the extra upgrades help apart from sticky threads, sticky threads are the most effective and I've never been able to get one of them in all the time I've been a member at WHT.... nearly 8 years! What I do know is only being able to post ads 1 day sooner compared to non-Premium for around $4.15/month is not good enough, but then I'm only paying $4.15/month and so can't complain really. What I'm saying is I'd rather pay a bit more every month to be able to post ads more regularly. I'm not interested in Bold, Twitter, Yellow Box. Sticky or nothing for me, at least at the moment anyway. Same with Google results in that users hardly ever go past the first 10 results on 1st page, well that's pretty much the same with ads here. Most know the best offers are in the Sticky threads and will buy from there... ignoring the rest. I do it myself.

So I would like to be able to pay more to get Sticky threads in the Shared/Reseller forums which are the hardest forums to get sticky threads in. There's usually plenty of space in VPS/Dedicated. Thing is I don't want to spend $700/month for sticky in VPS section... leave them for the more established providers who have the marketing budget for that. At least to begin with, I'd rather go for Shared/Reseller... but they're always taken by the same old providers week in week out. Maybe Penton should introduce bidding for those sections in order to help the more SMBs get a chance of advertising there rather than let all the SMEs have the lot. SMBs need sales and want to make a profit too. Maybe Corporate are making the most of the fixed prices. If there was bidding then you'd probably find most providers would be willing pay more than current ones who have ads there 24/7.

So I'd like to either to be able to pay more (but not Corporate more) to get sticky threads in Shared/Reseller or be able to post ads more regularly. Premium is too cheap and Corporate is way too expensive. Need a happy medium here to help get the right balance for EVERYONE.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow_Chris View Post
    Same with Google results in that users hardly ever go past the first 10 results on 1st page, well that's pretty much the same with ads here. Most know the best offers are in the Sticky threads and will buy from there... ignoring the rest. I do it myself.
    I have a slightly different take on this Chris. Ever since the stickies were increased from 6 to 8 and all having yellow background with bold text - it looks like one big messy ad to me, a wall of gobbledygook when glanced at. Somebody took the cheaper sticky option recently without the yellow and bold text and that ad 'shone' through, IMO. For me, and I doubt it's just me. I scroll down past the first 'big ads' (may be I'm ad blind to them now) and find the bottom 1-week sticked ads grabbing my attention more so. It may be worth you trying there before becoming a 1 in 8 chance at the top.

Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by LampNetworks View Post
    I have a slightly different take on this Chris. Ever since the stickies were increased from 6 to 8 and all having yellow background with bold text - it looks like one big messy ad to me, a wall of gobbledygook when glanced at. Somebody took the cheaper sticky option recently without the yellow and bold text and that ad 'shone' through, IMO. For me, and I doubt it's just me. I scroll down past the first 'big ads' (may be I'm ad blind to them now) and find the bottom 1-week sticked ads grabbing my attention more so. It may be worth you trying there before becoming a 1 in 8 chance at the top.

Just sayin'
    I agree in that sticky with just bold text without yellow background is better. Certainly makes it look better. As for 1 week ads I do try them as not able to get stickies, but I still think the 1 week sticky ads are more effective in terms of click-through rate etc. No doubt Penton already have stats on this which no doubt proves my point.

Anyway, I've said a lot already and provided a lot of feedback. I know things can be improved, just not sure how exactly, but added some suggestions as better than nothing at all. Hope the feedback helps.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Sticky advertisements are a joke. We get maybe 1-2 sales a day from it. It's not worth the price you pay.....

Quote Originally Posted by stablehost View Post
    Sticky advertisements are a joke. We get maybe 1-2 sales a day from it. It's not worth the price you pay.....
    So you can potentially make upto $1,856.90/month (going by your Reseller Plus) for paying $150/month for sticky in reseller section. Maybe that is chump change to you but I know a lot of us would be happy with that... not only ROI but those customers also create hype, more referrals, repeat customers etc.

I think you must have been joking

I don't think reseller is $150/month, shared isn't.. it's over $1000/month.

Basically I'm saying you're not making any money from it

I haven't tried the other categories though.

I don't think reseller is $150/month, shared isn't.. it's over $1000/month.

Basically I'm saying you're not making any money from it

I haven't tried the other categories though.
    I see $250/month for sticky thread in Shared forum and $150/month for sticky thread in Reseller forum.

Interesting that you say it isn't worth it though.

I see $250/month for sticky thread in Shared forum and $150/month for sticky thread in Reseller forum.

Interesting that you say it isn't worth it though.
    I think that's weeks, not months. I'm not really sure to be honest, but I know we pay more than $200/month

All I'm saying is that stickies use to bring in like 5-10 sales a day, and then they oversold them and now they are useless. #theend

I think that's weeks, not months. I'm not really sure to be honest, but I know we pay more than $200/month

All I'm saying is that stickies use to bring in like 5-10 sales a day, and then they oversold them and now they are useless. #theend
    So bidding plus less sticky slots may help with that afterall

So bidding plus less sticky slots may help with that afterall
    I'd be happy if there were less, and the highest bidder got them because it would make them more valuable. Just how Google does their advertising.

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    We also have backup offers that we would like to show, but we have no where to put this because we already have our SSL certificate offers.
    But they don't belong there. Try here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169

We need more categories.
    But you can't find the sections amongst the ones we already have!

Quote Originally Posted by NgageMike View Post
    A forum for hosting providers to advertise their affiliate/referral system to affiliate marketers.
    This one? http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

Quote Originally Posted by Postbox View Post
    But they don't belong there. Try here: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=169

But you can't find the sections amongst the ones we already have!

This one? http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=97

I know i know you just added that section!

- Daniel

I know i know you just added that section!
    So it wasn't there in 2013? http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...63#post8875463

Something spooky is going on.

So it wasn't there in 2013? http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showth...63#post8875463

Something spooky is going on.
    You just backdated some posts!

- Daniel

Upgrading to Corporate is not worth too the price we pay.Big Budget provider can do this show off...
    AdroitSSD LLC - Incredible™ Hosting Platform| In Business Since 2012 | 24/7 Real Support
    Pure SSD Hosting - 90 Days Moneyback Guarantee! | LiteSpeed + LSCache | 99.95% Uptime | CloudLinux
    SSD KVM VPS - INTENSE™ DDOS Protection |1 Gbit port Speed | LiteSpeed & Softaculous License

I have a small request. I may be overlooking things, but before the new WHT theme replaced the old one, you used to be able to do a search which excluded the advertising forums. I don't see that option anymore. So when doing a search, I either A) Have to go to advanced and manually select all the sections I want to include, or B) search and scroll through the advertising sections.

It would be great to have a "Exclude advertisements" option on search queries. Thanks
    || Webhostpython - Introducing Venom Power! Shared, Reseller, and VPS plans
    || Pure SSD | Litespeed | LS-Cache | cPanel | SSLs | DDOS Protection | Blazing Fast
    || A 100% independent and debt free company with 24/7 - 365 in-house support

Quote Originally Posted by Webhostpython View Post
    I have a small request. I may be overlooking things, but before the new WHT theme replaced the old one, you used to be able to do a search which excluded the advertising forums. I don't see that option anymore. So when doing a search, I either A) Have to go to advanced and manually select all the sections I want to include, or B) search and scroll through the advertising sections.

It would be great to have a "Exclude advertisements" option on search queries. Thanks
    Yes I second that one.
    ▉▊ HostKoi Web Services LLC - Optimized Web Hosting, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Servers.
    Services World Wide: US, UK, Europe & Asia
    ▊▉ True 24x7 Support

Perfect! Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by CodyRo View Post
    Perhaps having a sticky topic with some FAQ's might help curb the redundant answers and create some meaningful dialogue.
    On the subject of FAQs - in the Running a Webhosting Business forum, countless posts are answered with "we don't know your costs or business model. we can't set your pricing for you." I'd like a more detailed version of that to link to every time the question gets asked.

I agree with Cody. Get rid of the obvious bluff that people post.
    Another type of post that I see a lot are people not directly advertising themselves but making junk posts, in my opinion, solely to get their ad-filled signature on the page. I've seen lots of theads go untouched for a week or more suddenly get bumped with a response like "Great idea!" or "Thanks" by a brand new user with an ad in their sig. Cutting down on these would greatly reduce the clutter in the forums otherthan the Web Hosting forum.

Quote Originally Posted by LampNetworks View Post
    Limit member posts per day (perhaps by membership status i.e. Corporate, Premium etc).

It would reduce the posts by members who feel they have to voice their opinion on everything, it may stop a single member monopolising a thread, it may reduce the above mentioned by @CodyRo, but moreover, it may encourage diversity.
    Unless that limit is quite high, I've got to disagree with this one. If a helpful user has a per-day limit to how much they can post, they're going to find themselves picking and choosing who they can reply to with their alloted posts. Another user may have a follow up question or a comment to which the helpful user is now unable to reply.

I don't think there's anything intrinsically wrong with users who voice their opinion on everything. I think that if a solution to the "signature spam" I described above can be implemented, it would greatly reduce the perception that there are users trying to voice their opinion everywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by MattF View Post
    - Shrink signatures to 2 lines max, most posts of hosts the sigs are larger than post content
    If I could figure out how to block signatures entirely, I would.

Quote Originally Posted by LeapWH View Post
    I'll put my 5 cents here with a small suggestion

I'd like to see replies of Topic starter highlighted across the topic. Reading some topics you have to remember who started it to check his replies.
    This is a great idea for questions where the topic starter is asking a question. Most don't edit their post to indicate that their question is resolved or answered, so this gives an easier way to find whether the question is resolved and see any follow up questions.
    If you're going to quote another post, please only quote the relevant portion. This makes the forum much easier to read.

Quote Originally Posted by sgtc View Post
    If I could figure out how to block signatures entirely, I would.
    http://www.webhostingtalk.com/profil...do=editoptions
    Thread Display Options->Show Signatures
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Another type of post that I see a lot are people not directly advertising themselves but making junk posts, in my opinion, solely to get their ad-filled signature on the page. I've seen lots of theads go untouched for a week or more suddenly get bumped with a response like "Great idea!" or "Thanks" by a brand new user with an ad in their sig. Cutting down on these would greatly reduce the clutter in the forums otherthan the Web Hosting forum.
    I've lost count on the times I get an alert from an old thread that naturally fizzled away, and was active again because a new member made a fluff 3-4 word statement....which then of course because it's active again, people will come in and offer advice for an issue that resolved...1-2 years ago. Unsubscribe

Unless that limit is quite high, I've got to disagree with this one. If a helpful user has a per-day limit to how much they can post, they're going to find themselves picking and choosing who they can reply to with their alloted posts. Another user may have a follow up question or a comment to which the helpful user is now unable to reply.

This could be a grey area for a few reasons.

- A limit could be bad if you're genuinely offering someone help and advice, but...
    - there can only be so much advice or help given before it becomes a free support system

This ties in with my suggestion of members running a host or even a basic business for at least 1 -2 years before posting in adverting.

My usual music reference which works here too. When I had a studio, a friend/signer I knew asked me one day for a specific contact for her project. I told just because were friends, it doesn't work that way. I told her we had that contact because we had a 8 year track record to validate our work and her record was 6 months. I also told her that the contact would not deal with her even I gave her such information. That's was when I started to figure people out in 30 seconds and knew that don't know what they don't know. I see WHT as that contact or I could also say essentially I was the WHT in that situation.

Back to hosting.......offering help is cool and at times fun...but when they person starts asking all sorts of questions that clearly shows their going to be hacked or exploited in a week and couldn't even take an hour to come up with a business name, a rough business plan draft, or even a clue to anything business related, much less hosting related, then there has to be limit. At that point they should be asking their host/provider some of those questions since they're paying for it. Even some unmanaged hosts will either say politely that it's outside the range of support, and will still give a hint or suggestion to steer towards finding an answer. Reading is fundamental and WHT and Google are our friends.
    Last edited by WPCYCLE; 02-05-2016 at 12:10 PM.

Not much could be changed here as we don't allow 'fluff' post as it is. I think we catch most of them but hitting the report button on those posts will help us get more.

This is a great idea for questions where the topic starter is asking a question. Most don't edit their post to indicate that their question is resolved or answered, so this gives an easier way to find whether the question is resolved and see any follow up questions.
    Highlighting the OP in some threads might be useful. In general conversation threads however it could be confusing. A better idea might be allowing an OP to easily mark a response as the one that solved the problem?

Quote Originally Posted by Ash View Post
    Highlighting the OP in some threads might be useful. In general conversation threads however it could be confusing. A better idea might be allowing an OP to easily mark a response as the one that solved the problem?
    I've seen this in a lot of support forums and it's definitely useful. I'd love to have it added here.
    If you're going to quote another post, please only quote the relevant portion. This makes the forum much easier to read.

For all of the advertising forums can you add a big notice about false advertising to help insure advertisers proofread their ads before they post them. I have seen several misspell GB instead of Gb in their ads for bandwidth, or Gb instead of GB for storage along with many other critical things as some backbone providers can actually offer the GB equivalent of what they misspelled. If they advertise it and are not actually selling it then they are falsely advertising to consumers and action should be taken to correct the issue.

The minimum number of posts before you are allowed to post ads should be atleast 100 , or it should be only be available to paid members. This will increase the number of posts/activity on this forum (100 should not include fluff posts) and cut down on ads giving more views to the existing members who have been here longer.

If you make it paid only, and price it higher than what a person needs to start a hosting company, it would reduce the number of people trying to run a WHT-only hosting company using a Master Reseller/Reseller with bundled WHMCS.

On LET , you need to submit an application to the moderators in order to gain advertising privileges after passing the minimum post count. Manual verification is time consuming, but it will definitely improve the quality of posts and ads.
    LeapSwitch Networks Pvt. Ltd. - Managed VPS / Dedicated Servers India
    CloudJiffy PaaS - Wordpress Cluster Hosting
    █ Shared, Reseller, VPS, Dedicated Servers, Colocation
    AS132335 - India - USA - Germany - Spain - Portugal - Ukraine

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast