Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by HostXNow_Chris View Post
    Premium membership can be used by members who are not even a web host. Users new to the forum may assume anyone using a Premium membership is a web host.

Maybe it would be more clear if you offered Premium which can be used by non web hosting providers, Web Host (SMB) and Web Host (SME) and obviously have text SMB and SME with hover over description explaining the difference. I think that would be good as the main types of users who visit this forum are individuals/SMBs looking for the smaller personal web hosting providers (as they usually go the extra mile, offer a lot more support etc), and then individuals/SMEs who prefer to use SMEs.

Also while Corporate members might be annoyed by the fluff posts from Premium members, they need to remember that a lot of the business they get is from Premium members of this forum. By suggesting ways of limiting what Premium members can post and when they can post it etc you are also limiting your own sales from them, because if they are not able to get as much sales then they will not be able to pay you. Instead, I think the Premium membership should be changed slightly (even if it cost a little more) which allows them to compete better via advertising properly instead of having to go OTT with sig flashing. Everyones a winner that way.

I think the following or something similar would be:

Premium (for standard members who want to support WHT)
    Web Host (SMB) - small to medium businesses
    Web Host (SME) - small to medium enterprises
    Web Host (LE) - Large Enterprise (optional) would think that would be EIG anyway and so unnecessary.

Adding to my post above

>Premium (for standard members who want to support WHT)

Membership can be used by non web hosts eg web designers, developers, tech guys or just about anyone who is not a web host but loves all things technology/web hosting etc.

As for Web Host (SMB), Web Host (SME) and Web Host (LE) you should be able to join them if you meet certain criteria. For example:

Web Host (SMB) = proper address, contact information, no private whois on domain, been running at least 3 months, 1-10 employees (applies to outsourced support too, does not have to be in-house). If you do not meet SMB then just use Premium membership until you can upgrade.

Web Host (SME) - same as SMB but have to have been running for at least 6-12 months, have at least 5-10 in-house employees (outsource is a bonus).

I could go on but you get the idea.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Quote Originally Posted by MightWeb-Marcus View Post
    Oh, not at all - sorry if I communicated that poorly! What I am saying is that quantity does not exclude quality. In the end, the position is a volunteer, unpaid position. The thread states:
    "We’re emphasizing the need for Liaisons with time to moderate when life allows because the need is that big."

Now of course being able to dedicate time into it is a given - but I think the wording may deter good candidates from actually applying. Let's say another 10 good Moderators were added, all merely moderating as they read through the forum on a daily basis and answering the helpdesk when possible - no matter what, this does decrease workload from the current moderators, and surely can't be seen as a negative?
    "time to moderate when life allows "

All moderators have times when life doesn't allow them to be active (Like today I spent a few hours at the beach with my family )

Ah, OK! I was under the impression that moderators typically had their sections assigned to them.
    We start them all that way, then when they have learned the ropes and feel comfortable, we add more and more gradually.

I'll put my 5 cents here with a small suggestion

I'd like to see replies of Topic starter highlighted across the topic. Reading some topics you have to remember who started it to check his replies.

Quote Originally Posted by IH-Rameen View Post
    2. Community Groups should be removed. I feel that it contributes towards fragmentation of the forum. Those topics I think were just fine in the lounge section and I used to frequent the lounge section often before the community groups.
    I'm with you here.

Let's look at the section: http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204

Out of the 25 forums, 8 of them have posts in this year. I'd be tempted to move all of the topics into the Lounge forum.

Moving on:

Web Hosting Talk Tutorials

Web Hosting Tutorials --> change to become a sub-forum of http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1
    Dedicated Server Tutorials --> change to become a sub-forum of http://www.webhostingtalk.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2

...and so on, until the stage where Web Hosting Talk Tutorials will have no sub-forums left, and can be removed.

There's no specific features or changes I'd like to see per se, but a clean-up of the forums is certainly needed IMHO.
    ~]# Ethernet Servers Ltd - Est. 2014! - sales @ ethernetservers.com
    ~]# Try out our WordPress speed tests for yourself!
    ~]# NVMe Web Hosting | Unmanaged VPS | Fully Managed VPS | Dedicated Servers | Domain Names
    ~]# Don't settle for any less than the very best - come & join our family today!

Another suggestion. FraudRecord helps prevent fraud so much, but unfortunately due to data protection etc I know some providers who do not want to submit data to it, not because they are lazy or do not want to help out, but for legal reasons because of data protection etc. Maybe iNet/WHT should team up with FraudRecord to help promote its purpose and to help prevent fraud (you could include the cost in the paid WHT memberships). If iNet/WHT got involved I think they could do it in a way that more providers (no matter what country they reside in) would be able to submit fraud without facing legal issues.

That would definitely be an excellent partnership. I bet so many do not even know about FraudRecord. It sure does save a lot of time and headache. I admit that I use it a lot and there was one that was not listed, sent spam and tried chargebacks for upto £1000. Had more companies been using FraudRecord that one might have not slipped through.
    HostXNow - Shared Web Hosting | Semi Dedicated Hosting | Enterprise Reseller Hosting | VPS Hosting

Maybe iNet/WHT should team up with FraudRecord
    This is an interesting topic - not as much the actual idea at hand (partnering with FraudRecord) but rather whether iNet should seek out and look at such opportunities, or stay neutral and provide a board / community around the industry. Preventing fraud is something I'm sure we all agree is good - but WHT as a whole has such an influence on the web hosting industry, that the risks of not staying neutral are rather large, I think.
    MightWeb - Web Hosting, Reseller Hosting, Virtual Servers & Dedicated Servers.
    KVM VPS's - RAID 10 Pure SSD - Windows & Linux - Managed services available
    Reseller Hosting with WHMCS | Pure SSD | Premium Network | SpamExperts
    DDoS Protection, R1Soft Hourly Backups, LiteSpeed, 30 Day Money-Back Guarantee

Quote Originally Posted by MightWeb-Marcus View Post
    but WHT as a whole has such an influence on the web hosting industry, that the risks of not staying neutral are rather large, I think.
    That is my point and think is a very good reason for iNet to go that route either with their own system or partnering up FraudRecord. iNet/WHT already have a much larger database which they would not want to share with FraudRecord and so I guess they would want to setup their own. FraudRecord is very good at the moment especially with it being free. But iNet/FraudRecord could offer paid subscriptions to have access to more reports etc due to their database plus influence they have on the web hosting industry.

iNet/WHT already have a much larger database which they would not want to share with FraudRecord
    We're Penton now.
    We also could not share any info, due to our privacy policy.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

I know this suggestion is more of a joke rather than an actual suggestion, but hey, why not.

How about a section or sub-section for EIG hosts. I know recently a list was put out with all hosts under the EIG brand, but I say this because on some days, when open a page in a section, almost 40% of them if not more are all EIG related threads. In some cases, 5 to 6 of them are all related to the same host.

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post
    I know this suggestion is more of a joke rather than an actual suggestion, but hey, why not.

How about a section or sub-section for EIG hosts. I know recently a list was put out with all hosts under the EIG brand, but I say this because on some days, when open a page in a section, almost 40% of them if not more are all EIG related threads. In some cases, 5 to 6 of them are all related to the same host.

Just a thought.
    Mergers and Acquisitions Notice forum ?
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer Nginx 1.25, PHP-FPM, MariaDB 10 CentOS (AlmaLinux/Rocky testing)
    : Centmin Mod Latest Beta Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS & HTTP/3 QUIC HTTPS supports TLS 1.3 via OpenSSL 1.1.1/3.0/3.1 or BoringSSL or QuicTLS OpenSSL
    : Nginx & PHP-FPM Benchmarks: Centmin Mod vs EasyEngine vs Webinoly vs VestaCP vs OneInStack

Well Premium membership costs around $50/year and so it works out at around $4.15/month to be able to create ads 1 day sooner. Times that by 4 and it costs around $16.60/month (or $199.20/year) to be able to post ads every 3 days like you can with Corporate membership. I would much prefer to be able to just pay around $16.60/month (or 199.20/year) or even better and offers 2 months free when paying yearly which would work out to around $166/year but I would settle for paying around $199.20/year if the 2 months free was pushing it.
    +1 for your cool idea
    AdroitSSD LLC - Incredible™ Hosting Platform| In Business Since 2012 | 24/7 Real Support
    Pure SSD Hosting - 90 Days Moneyback Guarantee! | LiteSpeed + LSCache | 99.95% Uptime | CloudLinux
    SSD KVM VPS - INTENSE™ DDOS Protection |1 Gbit port Speed | LiteSpeed & Softaculous License

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    We're Penton now.
    Yeah, We found Penton is much more slower than iNet, Mailed for THEWHIR listing, checkout page bug ,but neverever get response. Still Checkout page is loaded with bug :/ .
    AdroitSSD LLC - Incredible™ Hosting Platform| In Business Since 2012 | 24/7 Real Support
    Pure SSD Hosting - 90 Days Moneyback Guarantee! | LiteSpeed + LSCache | 99.95% Uptime | CloudLinux
    SSD KVM VPS - INTENSE™ DDOS Protection |1 Gbit port Speed | LiteSpeed & Softaculous License

I think deleting your post within 15 minutes should be enabled. I cant remember how many times I have had to do this for various reasons. Then we have to contact WHT support, wait, get it edited/deleted etc...

- Daniel

Oh, forgot one more thing to add.

Currently in the "other" advertising section we advertise our SSL Certificate offers. We also have backup offers that we would like to show, but we have no where to put this because we already have our SSL certificate offers. So we have to choose between showing our ssl certificates or backup options on WHT. . We need more categories.

- Daniel

Quote Originally Posted by TmzHosting View Post
    I think deleting your post within 15 minutes should be enabled.
    99% of the time we don't delete posts, unless they've broken our rules. If allowed to delete your own (not you specifically), some could use that to post an offer in the main forums to get it seen and emailed, then remove it. No proof, no warning, gets away with spamming. That's just one example of why it's not permitted.

You have 15 minutes to edit after posting it.
    Your one stop shop for decentralization

Quote Originally Posted by 48-14 View Post

Just a thought.
    On Point. Or, this can just be a sticky containing the list of companies they own. Having this single sticky can help thousands of users.

Cool

site enhancement.. switch to 100% HTTPS SSL + force http to https redirects

HTTP/2 based SSL would be nice too
    : CentminMod.com Nginx Installer Nginx 1.25, PHP-FPM, MariaDB 10 CentOS (AlmaLinux/Rocky testing)
    : Centmin Mod Latest Beta Nginx HTTP/2 HTTPS & HTTP/3 QUIC HTTPS supports TLS 1.3 via OpenSSL 1.1.1/3.0/3.1 or BoringSSL or QuicTLS OpenSSL
    : Nginx & PHP-FPM Benchmarks: Centmin Mod vs EasyEngine vs Webinoly vs VestaCP vs OneInStack

A forum for hosting providers to advertise their affiliate/referral system to affiliate marketers.

Quote Originally Posted by bear View Post
    We're Penton now.
    Can tell I haven't been on WHT much lately... maybe because I can never get a sticky thread in Shared/Reseller or thought Corporate is too much

Serious, need better plans which will help reduce spam, get sales for all web hosts who use WHT rather than just the same old ones who always get the sticky threads, the same old providers getting all sticky threads is one thing, but only being able to post ads every 6 days is something else.

Need something like

Premium (normal member supporters/non webhosts) = $30/year
    Web Host (SMB) = $25/month or $300/year
    Web Host (SME) = around $85/month or $1000/year

Again, I think that would reduce spam, keep all members more happy and even bring in more income for iNet... I mean Penton

This is my wishlist for WHT. I will try to be as detailed as need and if more feedback is needed I'd be happy to provide this.

1. Since the forum was upgraded last year this place has seen a lot of problems. I understand Penton deploys vBulletin 4 on their sites, I've always liked vBulletin but the software very dated. A lot of the vB4 code base is the same as vB3 but the changes made have introduced many bugs that haven't been fixed in years. On a large site like WHT these bugs truly show.

I really think it's time to visit the idea of moving off the vBulletin platform on something that's actively being developed. The company behind vBulletin only has 1 dev that volunteers his time to keep vB4 current with the latest PHP changes but that's it. If it wasn't for him there wouldn't be any thing done with the vB4 branch, it's as bad as running open source software and even most of them don't have the problems the vB4 branch has :\.

An even worse move would be upgrading to vB5, this would being the site to it's knees like a car wreck in new york city. My point is vBulletin doesn't meet the demands and going to be a headache as time goes on. Most sites are moving away from it, while you guys just decided to go for it.

This site needs software that is actively getting bug fixes and meets the standards and demands of todays Internet users. The top options for a commercial forum like WHT is IP.Board, Xenforo and Burning Board, all of them are actively getting worked on everyday and meet the demands.

2. I'd like to see a member upgrade in-between the Premium and Corporate memberships. Premium only allows me to post one day sooner other then that it doesn't offer much to make me buy it. Corporate simply cost too much for me. Most signups from WHT are customers that want the world and don't want to pay for the quality and then on top that they want an even bigger discount . Due to this I can't justify paying $1,440.00 / yr.

Something along the lines of $300 - $500 / yr with posting every 4 days would most likely earn Penton more money.

3. My understanding the upgrade aren't automatic....? Why it's 2016 :\ If the payment clears we should be upgraded within minutes, not waiting on someone from Penton to say "umm yeah payment cleared" hours or days later. Come on vBulletin has this built in for god sakes and Penton has their own "developers" that could easily expand it to meet their needs.
    ▉▊ HostKoi Web Services LLC - Optimized Web Hosting, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Servers.
    Services World Wide: US, UK, Europe & Asia
    ▊▉ True 24x7 Support

Quote Originally Posted by MechanicWeb-shoss View Post
    On Point. Or, this can just be a sticky containing the list of companies they own. Having this single sticky can help thousands of users.
    The sticky sounds cool...and each time a host is acquired, they could be added to the list.

Quote Originally Posted by eva2000 View Post
    Mergers and Acquisitions Notice forum ?
    I like that idea. The only minor issue I see....how would a new member or even a current member know to look in such a section? It would have to be something as simple as the usual sections (shared, vps, server, etc) but still easy to find on it's own. Maybe it's one of those "sounds good on paper" ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by HostKoi View Post
    3. My understanding the upgrade aren't automatic....? Why it's 2016 :\ If the payment clears we should be upgraded within minutes, not waiting on someone from Penton to say "umm yeah payment cleared" hours or days later. Come on vBulletin has this built in for god sakes and Penton has their own "developers" that could easily expand it to meet their needs.
    They couldn't able to fix THEWHIR checkout bug in last 90 days, how could you think it will be so fast.

Premium (normal member supporters/non webhosts) = $30/year
    Web Host (SMB) = $25/month or $300/year
    Web Host (SME) = around $85/month or $1000/year

Again, I think that would reduce spam, keep all members more happy and even bring in more income for iNet... I mean Penton
    Don't think so WHT will reduce cost for premium member.

Quote Originally Posted by AdroitSSD LLC View Post
    They couldn't able to fix THEWHIR checkout bug in last 90 days, how could you think it will be so fast.
    From what I see THEWHIR is it's own system custom coded, it's not part of vbulletin. I'm sure the original dev isn't around so having someone else come in and fix it will take time. I ran a number of forums (vbulletin) before becoming a provider so I know the software well. Upgrades were always within minutes with vBulletin. THEWHIR currently is using some other system again I think it might be custom coded.

The site should be 100% integrated, that would improve things greatly as far as upgraded memberships go.
    ▉▊ HostKoi Web Services LLC - Optimized Web Hosting, Reseller, VPS and Dedicated Servers.
    Services World Wide: US, UK, Europe & Asia
    ▊▉ True 24x7 Support

Quote Originally Posted by AdroitSSD LLC View Post

Don't think so WHT will reduce cost for premium member.
    You're probably right, but they could if they introduced Web Host (SMB) = $25/month or $300/year

You're probably right, but they could if they introduced Web Host (SMB) = $25/month or $300/year
    Where a normal Bold ad upgrade cost is $30/week, how could we expect SMB =$25/month or $300/yr ! But if they introduce 2016 will be a revolutionary year for WHT .

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast